[Guide] ReiNX Installation and Use

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by Darth Meteos, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Darth Meteos
    OP

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron
    Darth Meteos is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    HEY EVERYONE, IT'S THE REISWITCHED SUPER SHOW!

[​IMG]

ReiNX has the ease of use of Hekate, the sigpatches of SX OS, a little magic of its own, and the memes of the ReiSwitched discord. It's just the best thing ever, guys.

So, you want to install ReiNX?

Good, you probably should. Now that it has working sigpatches, ReiNX is the most effective free CFW on the market right now! But you're gonna need to get into the thing, so that's where this helpful guide comes into play. You'll need a few things before we get started:

If you brick your Switch somehow- which would be impressive, honestly- I'm not responsible for that. If you follow these instructions to the letter, you'll have a working and more importantly sexy custom firmware on your system that will suit all your legal needs!
    Installing NSP files is going to get you banned. This is only for people who are indifferent about being banned or have been banned already. You were warned.

Hardware
    Now that you have all the hardware, you'll need some software, too.
    There's a file called Darth Meteos' Super Special SD Stash v4.0.1.zip, that has sigpatches in it to allow you to run NSP backups. Please grab it at the ReiSwitched Discord, here. The zip file has everything you need for the installation ahead, as well as a copy of the Tinfoil homebrew, that can install any NSP files, and install them to either the NAND or the SD card. The zip file will also contain a bin payload to boot the CFW. However, if you've never connected your Switch to a computer, you'll need to do a couple of things first, to get the drivers playing fair. This guide is assuming that you've already done that, but if you're brand new to the scene- welcome, by the way- you'll need to do some one-time setup.

First-Time Installation
    Now, for the main installation.
    1. Power off your Switch and connect your Switch's SD Card to a computer of your choice.
    2. Extract the contents of the zip file you downloaded. There'll be a bin file, an SD Files folder, as well as a little readme with more information. Check the spoilered text for what it should look like:
    3. Go into the SD Files folder and drag the contents onto the root of your SD Card. Overwrite everything.
      NOTE: If you don't know your firmware, you can find it in the system settings menu. The latest (as of this writing) is 5.1.0.
    4. If your card was empty except for the Nintendo folder beforehand, you should have a layout like the one in the spoiler:
    5. Now that the SD Card is set up, please return it to your Nintendo Switch and enter into RCM mode through the method of your choice.
    6. Using TegraRCMGUI, inject the ReiNX.bin Payload from the Stash package to get into your Switch.
    7. After the splash screen vanishes and you see the Nintendo Switch logo, you can disconnect the Switch from your computer. You're in!
    Accessing the homebrew menu is easy, just open the album! Inside will be the Tinfoil NSP installer and the Homebrew App Store, which in turn has basically everything you could ever want. Keep an eye on the 'Temp, though, for future updates~

When inside the homebrew menu, you can use Tinfoil to install nsp files, by placing them into the /tinfoil/nsp/ folder on your SD Card. All homebrew goes into the /switch/ folder.

As more features are added, this tutorial will be updated.

If you don't need NOGC, delete the nogc file in the ReiNX folder. It will make the CFW run faster, too.

Thank you so much for making the choice to use ReiNX!
    [​IMG]

"Vegeta, what does the Scouter say about the server's power level?"
    "It's over EIGHT THOUSAND!"
    "NINE-?! Wait. Vegeta, you didn't do it right!"
    "Yes I did, Nappa, yes I did."

[​IMG]

Last edited by Darth Meteos, Aug 14, 2018 at 6:08 PM
  2. Darth Meteos
    OP

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    CURRENT LIMITATIONS
    • Sigpatches aren't likely going to be made for 1.0. Please update using @rajkosto's method if you want sigpatches on your Switch. Of course, this could change.
    • XCI loading is not yet implemented. It's possible a similar loader to SX will be put in, or an xci to nsp converter. Nothing is- as yet- set in stone. More on this as it develops.

F.A.Q

Q: Hey, is it Darth, or Meteos?
    A: It's Meteos. Darth, as you see in the Star Wars movies, is just a prefix like Mr, or Dr. Might end up changing it so people don't make this mistake anymore, 'cause there's a lot of Darths and I'm the only Meteos.

Q: I had [insert issue here] with ReiNX! Who should I talk to about this?
    A: On the ReiSwitched discord, there's a lot of really helpful people who would be more than happy to assist you. My goal with this guide and any release I make is to ensure that anyone can use ReiNX for themselves without confusion. My main concern is always you, the end-user. You can go to the ReiSwitched Discord here.

Q: Wow, Meteos, you're just the absolute best! Is there somewhere I can donate to you for making this guide?
    A: Absolutely not. My contributions to this custom firmware have been an absolute pleasure for me, and I wouldn't feel comfortable taking any money from anyone for such a small thing like this. I really appreciate it, though. Please redirect your money to Reisyukaku, for his continued excellence in the scene.

Q: Is there somewhere I can follow Reisyukaku's further adventures?
    A: Sure is. You can follow Rei at his Twitter or at his website.

Q: Meteos, these illegal files are scary. When will ReiNX be legal to use?
    A: As of version 3.0 of the Darth Meteos Stash, it is legal. It's also much easier to use.

Q: How can I get the latest Darth Meteos' Super Special SD Stash?
    A: Check the pins of the reinx-help channel in the Discord. You might also find it on Reddit or other sites, but the latest files will always be available first on the ReiSwitched Discord.

Q: How do I even know if there is a new Stash?
    A: The version number will be updated in this guide whenever we receive confirmation that our latest files have leaked, and new versions appear in the wild, which we immediately publish the SHA256 of. If we didn't do this, we wouldn't be able to stop people from distributing brick code, so we've decided that at least informing people of the latest versions is superior to people having their expensive consoles destroyed. Please keep checking this page or the announcements channel in ReiSwitched to keep up to date.

Q: I've thought of a clever way to avoid banning my console with the tools currently available! Would you like to hear about it?
    A: No. I'm sorry to say that your method of avoiding a ban is not effective. You will get banned if you install NSP files.

Q: My console is bricked, and it's your fault! Why have you done this to me?
    A: Every build of ReiNX is thoroughly tested before use, and I'm sorry to say that this has happened to you, but it's not likely it was caused directly by ReiNX. I hate telling you that it was your fault, but if you followed all the instructions carefully, you shouldn't be having this issue.

Q: I heard there was a way to use the sigpatches from the Stash files with other CFWs. Is that true?
    A: It was. The modularity of ReiNX is also used by CFWs like Hekate, and if you edit the ini file correctly, you can get it working with ease. It can also work with Atmosphere if you copy over the ES patch folders to /atmosphere/titles/. However, the necessary files can only be found in <3.x versions of the Stash, and are no longer supported.

Q: There was a completely different F.A.Q here before, one that told me I was stupid for not liking anime! Where has that gone?
    A: In order to give this guide the best chance of being pinned, I've decided to tone down the shitposting and produce a legitimate Frequently Asked Questions section, the previous F.A.Q is no longer available. If you liked it, I'm sorry, but this isn't a joke CFW, so the guide shouldn't be a joke, either.

Last edited by Darth Meteos, Aug 10, 2018 at 8:48 AM
  3. Sem112

Sem112 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2015
    Netherlands
    Nice and clear tutorial :-)

Darth Meteos likes this.
  4. sepharg

sepharg Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2018
    Spain
    thanks for the tutorial!

5. Darth Meteos
    OP

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    thanks, it's my first one!
    a little nervous about it o.o'

Ericthegreat and NoNAND like this.
  6. fixingmytoys

fixingmytoys GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2018
    Australia
    Love it, can you still do the Pokemon way of installing NSP stuff ? like everyone we are pumped for this and are hanging out for a XCI loader :)

7. danxster

danxster Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2018
    Australia
    Can this play xci files?
    Also what official firmware do I need to be on?

8. Thetoto

Thetoto GBAtemp Fan

May 10, 2018
    France
    Rei :wub:

9. KTroopA

KTroopA GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2007
    nice guide, thank you for this. i will watch closely for updates :D

10. Darth Meteos
    OP

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    That was intially an integral part of the tutorial, however, since Tinfoil will soon be as functional without the... y'know... illegality... I decided not to include it. In a few days, it'll be all good.
    No, xci's are not playable as yet. This functionality is being worked on. I'll update the updates comment to reflect this.
    5.x and up can use this right now. Lower firmwares are being worked on, but since they were pushing back release unnecessarily, we ended up not implementing that just yet.

Last edited by Darth Meteos, Jul 23, 2018
  11. Ghassen-ga

Ghassen-ga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2016
    thought we could already install NSP games and stuff , wasn't everyone confirming that its working in the official rei thread ?

12. Darth Meteos
    OP

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    We can, tinfoil is included. I even said you could in the OP.

JoshuaYerkoSeman likes this.
  13. rynsonick

rynsonick GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2015
    no love for 2.3.0 ?
    sad :(

14. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Can you link one?

15. Ghassen-ga

Ghassen-ga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2016
    oh i read we can't install DLC's and updates , thought that rule applies to all the other NSP's , sorry my bad.

16. Darth Meteos
    OP

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    Did one better, I made one ^-^

Quantumcat likes this.
  17. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Awesome! Maybe link to the paperclip jig guide too?

18. Darth Meteos
    OP

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    I did. It's in the hardware section.

19. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Oops!

20. newfreezer

newfreezer Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2018
    Brazil
    Please, UPDATE. It doesnt workshop on 4.x. Everyone who tested till now, including me, got bluescreen just after splashscreen.