Hacking Hacking Naruto: Clash of Ninja games...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All right, I'm going to say right now I feel pretty silly going into this.
i'm nuts ):
Compared to most of the big-league coders on this site I'm a script-kiddie in comparison, but uh - just bear with me. You know the Brawl texture-hacking projects? This is pretty much the same thing.

I've been looking through the files of Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX3. Shonen Jump, Kishimoto or whoever is really intent on having Takara Tomy churn out as many of these games as they can in the shortest time possible. Luckily, Takara Tomy's got a pretty flawless formula going on with the games but I'm not here to talk about the gameplay - I wanna talk about the menus.

If you're familiar with the games, you have...well, the character select:
it's from EX2, but in terms of the UI they're pretty much the same game lol.

gfs9550021mid.jpg

You can breathe a sigh of relief if you thought I was going to suggest changing the characters to their PTS forms or something
tongue.gif
Character models, textures etc. are stored in .fpk files, a format exclusive to Eighting games...actually, fun fact: The Naruto games are based off of the Bloody Roar engine.
I'm getting off track, anyway -

chaseltitle00tpl0.png

chaselhelp202tpl0.png

I ripped these from the game yesterday - and it was rather painless, actually.
They were extracted from a .brtex file. The reason why they have no color data is because that's stored in a .brplt file.
There's some sort of loopy setup within the Naruto games (including Revolution and Revolution 2)...uh, whatever, I'll just continue.

Both files are simply relabeled .brres files. That's right - opening the file in a hex editor reveals the first four bytes are "bres" archives (ok, missing a letter, whatever). Inside .brtex are .tga (.tpl?) files. Inside .brplt are .pl files.
So, hypothetically speaking the Syntax Error process of working with Brawl victory portraits (extracting the .tgas from .brres format, remolding them in Photoshop and then reinserting it into the .brres archive) should work here.

Most of Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX3's menus are made up of textures. Really, a simple GNTEX3 texture hack is all it would take to translate the GUI.
Of course, this isn't counting the menu scripts (you know, at the main menu that tells you what to do once you click on an option...which, that itself I believe can be done by swapping the fontfaces from CON Revolution, OR it's simply a UTF-8 text format)

I've got this hunch that it can be done in the same way as Brawl character texture hacking, but loads simpler [since we, you know don't have to retexture a character and 3D map].
If I could actually get some people to help me out on this, this would be
it'd be the first Wii translation hack lol

CyberAxe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.cyberaxe.net
XP
Country
I am no good with the coding side, however and willing to help on the graphics side and creating english text for replacing the japanese text (i cant read/speak japanese but i should be able to put together good english descriptions for menu items and such (some of which have already been translated))

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if anyone is interested ill have all images converted to png from all 3 ex games and uploaded soon
theres some nice colour pics inside aswell
t_01.png

with any hope some Japanese speakers/readers will help with real translations

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Draganta said:
the problem isn´t to translate the pictures, but to put them back into the game.
Syangel made a BRRES extacting script HERE that works perfect converting the images is no biggie so its just an BRRES packer we need knocked up and job done im sure theres enough coding talent around to get this done the biggest hurdle is probably going to be lack of interest.

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wiisel said:
did you make any further progress with this?
i cant beleive this got buried with no replies
Well, I haven't touched it since because I've been working my butt off on finals. x3

Also not to be a killjoy but I, too could come up with nice-looking images for the menus and whatnot >_>

I'm gonna have to try that BRRES extracting script, because SSBBExtract doesn't work that fab for me. It'd be nice to have some nice color images for once when extracting

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

found this mooching through youtube combined with the translation manuals http://www.ninjataisen.com/ theres some hope for the none Japanese reader
biggrin.gif

i kindof got sidetracked and dumped all the game music
tongue.gif

ill get all the images dumped and converted to png or tga and hope that some sort of packer pops up

EDIT:
Heres all TPL from menu section converted to TGA and PNG ill brows the rest of the disc later for the rest of the items and character names http://www.mediafire.com/file/imwqinzjybl/Menu_items.zip
theres a few items ingame i want to use for my cSM so ill probably dump all images from the disc.

cutter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. Texture hacks are always cool, and I love the Gekitou Ninja Taisen series.

I'd be more interested in miraculously importing characters from Clash of Ninja 2 into the Japanese version thus raising the roster to some 70+ characters, but I'm sure that's much more complicated than I think it is.

Anyway, if you make any progress post it in this thread, this is relevant to my interests.

shukakusand

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be an old thread but I have been able to successfully model hack the game
and I'll upload videos tomorrow.

moongem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If any one could link me to a tutorial on coding these sorts of things, I have the time (But yes I DO have a life) to make MAJOR differences in the Clash of Ninja Series. I'd be willing to wager I'd have Deva path Pain with a working moveset and two finishers before Takara Tomy.

I also have plans for a completely original CON based on an RP site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD