Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
During his quest for a CFW, a 'hacker' claims to have noticed an interesting string in a .RCO file (system_plugin.rco). The string allegedly states "msg_error_console_hot_pls_restart". This is supported by the message which states that "the system has become hot. Please turn off the system and wait a while before turning it on again." So the hacker believes that Sony could prevent YLOD by having a function to shut the system todwn when its too hot. Although they opted against a more effective mechanism to cash in!

MaxConsole.net

This accusation reminds me of a famous quote from Shinji Mikami. Here's what he had to say about Sony hardware.

Shinji MikamiShinji Mikami, producer of Resident Evil and Devil May Cry, strongly criticized Sony and Square in a recent radio interview in Japan. Mikami accused Sony of purposely designing their consoles to break easily so that gamers will have to buy a replacement. He also said that Sony's high sales figures are helped by the fact that many gamers, himself included, have had to buy a second PlayStation and PlayStation 2.

From there, Mikami went on to accuse Sony of doing the same thing with their line of PCs, Walkmans, and cell phones. He asked why no one has complained about this and said that it was almost like cheating and committing a crime. The radio DJ tried to interrupt Mikami and shift the conversation to another topic, but when Mikami was asked if he thought Sony's customers are foolish, he replied, "Yes."

For the record, I've always felt the Xbox 360 RROD was another example of this type of shady business tactic. I even think MS was inspired by Sony and their own sleazy tactics, thinking "If they can get away with it, so can we." This tactic actually has a name and its called "Planned Obsolescence."
---

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This cannot be compared to RROD, since MS fixes that for free.

But YLOD is most often caused by someting becoming un-soldered. like the GPU

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ifish said:
This cannot be compared to RROD, since MS fixes that for free.
only if it's under warranty (yes I know they made it [the warranty] longer to accommodate the RROD)

YLOD is so rare anyway... I read somewhere that it's occurred in 10% of launch models, and much more modest rate compared to the xbox

SPH73

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
If they purposefully make their consoles break, they'll get less of a fanbase.

Obviously not because before the Xbox 360 came along, the PS1 and the PS2 were the most defective consoles in video game history. (Atari 5200 doesn't count because its problems centered around the joystick.) Mikami is right. People will just buy another.

QUOTE(Terminator02 @ Sep 26 2010, 06:55 PM) YLOD is so rare anyway... I read somewhere that it's occurred in 10% of launch models, and much more modest rate compared to the xbox

Yeah, I don't know about that.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Terminator02 said:
YLOD is so rare anyway... I read somewhere that it's occurred in 10% of launch models, and much more modest rate compared to the xbox

It was that. Something to do with the Thermal Paste used in the launch consoles.

SparkFenix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I remember people saying that if you dropped a PS3 of a high shelf, it wouldnt break
How i laughed
laugh.gif

Also

My ps2 has straws in it and the lens are full of dust and it still works >:

D

Deleted_171835

I wouldn't be that surprised if this turned out to be true.
It's not much of a good business tactic. You may do have more sales but people will associate your brand with reliability issues.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
SPH73 said:
Obviously not because before the Xbox 360 came along, the PS1 and the PS2 were the most defective consoles in video game history. (Atari 5200 doesn't count because its problems centered around the joystick.) Mikami is right. People will just buy another.
you mean the shitty connector cable on the back of the psx1 that's the ONLY problem i ever had. didn't have a problem with the ps2 but than again i got the laser replaced with a better one when i got it chipped
tongue.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
There's the question.
How do people know whether it's on purpose or not?
If they don't know it's on purpose, what are they going to get mad about?

But with a lot of this it's not that they want it to break by a certain time, it's that they honestly don't give a fuck because by the time it breaks you already gave them money ages ago. They just need to make sure it lasts "long enough".

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Slyakin said:
There's the question.
How do people know whether it's on purpose or not?
If they don't know it's on purpose, what are they going to get mad about?

But with a lot of this it's not that they want it to break by a certain time, it's that they honestly don't give a fuck because by the time it breaks you already gave them money ages ago. They just need to make sure it lasts "long enough".
Actually, what I meant was that a breaking console normally lowers your trust in a company no matter what (unless your a hard core fan.)

Also, I think that companies wouldn't want to simply kill their consoles just cause they can. Don't they also get revenue from games?
frown.gif
Lots of broken consoles equals less games being played.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oh, the coincidences. I've just fixed my 60GB PS3 from its second YLOD some hours ago.

And by the way, YLOD = RROD. It's the same exact cause and problem.

And I guess it actually was a genuine design error on Sony's behalf, since it actually seems to be only happening with the launch models, as far as I know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: That was a hilarious YT K3Nv2 :rofl2: