OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm thinking about getting a PSP but I wanted to know a couple of things about "hackability" first:

As far as I understand, every PSP-1000 and 2000 model is hackable as long as it has FW version 6.20 or earlier, is this correct? And certain 2000 and all 3000 models are just "semi hackable" depending on the motherboard?

If this is the case are any fully hackable brand new PSPs still being sold in stores/online? Or would I be best getting a pre-owned older PSP so it could be fully hackable?

Sorry for the noobish question, I've been using DS flash cards for years but the PSP is confusing new terrain for me. Thanks for all help!

whiteboi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your best bet for getting a new psp that is fully hackable would be to go for a Limited Edition Pack 2000 model;

Daxter Limited Edition Pack,
God of War Limited Edition Pack,
Star Wars Darth Vader Edition Pack,
Are all fully hackable

The Madden 09 Limited Edition Pack could have the TA-88v2 (fully hackable) or the TA-88v3 board that is only semi hackable so i would stay away from it

Now these wont be that easy to find, look in smaller stores as the bigger stores would of sold out of these long ago, for online you would have to search but I'm sure they would be overpriced

Or just buy a used one and save yourself some cash

KevFan

Trophies
XP
Country
well all PSP models are ''hackable'' if they have a firmware of 6.20 or earlier if you only want homebrew via the half byte loader using the patapon 2 demo

But if you want custom firmware to be able to play psp games and ps1 games from the memory stick then thats a different story.
All PSP-1000 and and most PSP-2000 models are fully hackable and are able to install a full custom firmware using a pandora battery and a magic memory stick (firmware version doesn't matter since they are fully hackable)

PSP-2000 models with a ta-088v3 motherboard and PSP-3000 models are semi-hackable only if it has a firmware version 5.03 or lower via chickHEN and then install a partial custom firmware.
NOTE: that if you try to install a full custom firmware on these models WILL brick the PSP.
Also if these models have a firmware version of 5.50-6.20 then you can only get homebrew via the half byte loader (and NO you can't downgrade on these models)

yes i believe that some new PSP-2000 bundles that have a fully hackable motherboard are still being sold in some online sites but suggest getting a pre-owned PSP-1000 or PSP-2000 from gamestop

yokomoko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a bunch for the help, I really appreciate it. I'd ideally like to get a PSP-2000, but is there any way to tell what motherboard it would have by looking at it or turning it on or something? For instance, if I were to overlook a 2000 at Gamestop would it be possible to tell? Thanks.

ace1o1

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
animeforumz.com
XP
Country
United States
yokomoko said:
Thanks a bunch for the help, I really appreciate it. I'd ideally like to get a PSP-2000, but is there any way to tell what motherboard it would have by looking at it or turning it on or something? For instance, if I were to overlook a 2000 at Gamestop would it be possible to tell? Thanks.

At GameStop?
Hell no.
tongue.gif

They wouldn't allow you to do any of that.

If you are going to get a 2000, get either the Star Wars edition or the Ice Silver Daxter Edition.
They are both fully hackable.

And just to clarify.
A Pandora battery is both the MMS and a JigKick battery (what people call a Pandora Battery) together.

Paranoid Mouse C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before you make your purchase, I'd take a moment to look at some youtube videos regarding ghosting on the PSP 1000 and 2000. I personally own a PSP 1000 and I've noticed the response rate of it's screen is low, which causes dark colors to drag across the screen while playing games. The severity of the issue varies depending on what you're looking at, but it's certainly a problem for me; almost enough for me to purchase a PSPgo. Almost.
closedeyes.gif

Look at the windows as he moves.

vmurp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yokomoko said:
I'd ideally like to get a PSP-2000, but is there any way to tell what motherboard it would have by looking at it or turning it on or something? For instance, if I were to overlook a 2000 at Gamestop would it be possible to tell? Thanks.
Yes, there are a couple of ways you can tell. Serial number being one of them. The Daxter edition PSP is completely hackable and was the only silver 2000 released in the US, therefore all silver US 2000's are hackable. However, this only applies to US versions, so be careful. To see if it's a US version, simply look behind the battery. If the serial number begins with HU, then it's a US version (other regions would say HJ or HE, etc). Also, all White PSP's (Star Wars edition) and red PSP's (God of War) are completely hackable, too.

For Piano Black PSPs, you can tell by the serial number, which can be found behind the battery. Black 2000's with serial numbers HU216xxx and below are completely hackable. Anything over HU224xxxx is not hackable. And anything between HU216 and HU224 are in the grey area (may or may not be hackable). This only applies to US versions, so be sure it says HU.

Another way to tell is by the firmware, although it's not always the best way because oftentimes it's been updated. However, any PSP running 3.95 and below is completely hackable, because the TA-088v3 mobo is not capable of running firmware below 4.01.

QUOTE said:
As far as I understand, every PSP-1000 and 2000 model is hackable as long as it has FW version 6.20 or earlier, is this correct? And certain 2000 and all 3000 models are just "semi hackable" depending on the motherboard?
Not exactly. All 1000's and most 2000's are completely hackable no matter what firmware they have. For 5.03 and below you can use the ChickHEN method, and over 5.03 you'd need to use a Pandora battery, which you can buy for $6 from DealExtreme.com.

Partially hackable PSPs (all 3000's and some 2000's) are ones that have the TA-088v3 mobo. Those can only be hacked as long as the firmware is not above 5.03. Anything over 5.03 is out of luck for custom firmware, meaning you can't play retail games from the memstick. However, they can still run homebrew via the Half Byte Loader, as long as the firmware is not over 6.20.

EDIT: btw, I wouldn't recommend getting a 1000. They're slower, have half the ram and are crappy compared to the 2000.

QUOTE(ace1o1 @ Aug 4 2010, 09:50 PM)
At GameStop?
Hell no.
tongue.gif

They wouldn't allow you to do any of that.
That's ridiculous. Of course they will...with used ones they will. I do it all the time. They'll even let you turn it on and check the firmware if you want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: strip checkers > nude chess