Hackability Opinion

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Shroomie, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Shroomie
    OP

Shroomie Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2005
    Canada
    Going to buy one today... I can get a Black 3DS XL (not the N3DS) .. or I can get a the New 3DS XL.. which one is better in peoples opinion for good 'ol console hacking?

2. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Nearly all Old 3DS XLs that you buy today will be shipped on 9.2 or under, and even if they are on 9.3-10.3, you can still downgrade it!

Same goes for New 3DS XLs, although the best firmwares for it to be on are either 9.0 or 9.2, but like I said, you can downgrade using SafeSysUpdater on 9.3-10.3.

N3DS XLs have more compatability and CPU speed.

3. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    For hacking o3DS is easier, better, less hassle to set it up overall.

N3DS is a lot harder, since it will most likely be over 9.2 and you have to do a downgrade (risky), if the downgrade goes wrong you can say goodbye to the hacking.

4. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    New 3DS XL. There is a VERY high chance it will come on 10.3 or lower, so you can use Browserhax and Ironhax or downgrade to 9.2 if you want. Not to mention that homebrew runs MUCH faster on a New 3DS.

Last edited by GalladeGuy, Jan 22, 2016
  5. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    well its like this.. if you had a old 3ds i would have said just stick with that... but if you going to buy a new one buy the "New 3ds" because of more "power". also everything that can be the old 3ds can be done with new 3ds now.

6. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    What about Browserhax on 10.4? :P

Flame likes this.
  7. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    well is very very unlikely he will get a 3DS with 10.4... if he does his better of finding a 3ds with 10.3 or lower if s/he wants to downgrade and stuff

GalladeGuy likes this.
  8. Shroomie
    OP

Shroomie Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks for the input guys! Just quick decision making. I looked around and couldn't really find a UPC buying guide for the N3DS. It's my first run at a 3ds, but I'm not a stranger to this world, so downgrading is a no fear thing for me.

I'll take the risk and go with the New 3DS, and your right, the likely-hood of getting 10.4 is low, and even so, I can wait for future 'sploits or just bite the bullet and get a Flashcart If I give into the temptation.

We already have a 2DS in our house, so I can practice on that and if I brick it, i'll just give my kid the new one.

Is it possible to get firmwares lower on the N3DS?

GalladeGuy likes this.
  9. Shroomie
    OP

Shroomie Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2005
    Canada
    Just an extra thank you! Got a New 3DS and it came with 9.0.0!

GalladeGuy and zoogie like this.