Hack my virgin WII in clear steps

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by saratis, Jul 7, 2009.

Jul 7, 2009
  1. saratis
    OP

Newcomer saratis Newbie

United States
    Wonderful forum. I've been reading for some time now, but even with all the noob guides and such, i still find the process of going from a virgin wii to a usb-load enabled wii not quite clear. This is due to the fact that there are loads of different options an all kinds of confusing tutorials around, that don't explain what they are talking about.

I read quite a lot. So I would like to sum what I've learned so far, and hope you guys care to comment and expand.

First off, a few terms I saw flying around.
    IOS = Something like firmware? Correct?
    CIOS = Custom Firmware?
    NAND = Something you need to back to prevent bricking? Man I sound like a noob (which I am in terms of WiiHacking)
    HBC = Home Brew Channel
    BootMii = Meant to protect you from bricking your Wii? You use this to backup your NAND? And then there's something about boot2?
    DVDx = Enables your wii to read Dvds'
    HackMii = Installer for the above three things
    USB Loader = Used to load iso from an external drive
    WAD file = Files you can run from your HBC

From what I've gathered, I should do the following to hack my Wii.
    - Download bannerbomb and put it the 'private' folder on an SD card, with the test boot.dol and see if it works
    - If it works, nice, if not, try another version of bannerbomb.
    - When you have a working version, follow the steps to install Hackmii , which means putting a different boot.dol on the SD card and what's this *meta* stuff?
    - Once you've installed hackmii, you should have a HBC.
    - You can use the HBC to install/run (?) an USB loader, (which version? that one by waninkoko? USB Loader CFG35-a5?)
    >>Whats this CIOS7 stuff? Is that to run backups from Dvd's? I think this is where it gets confusing, with the usb and normal backup loaders
    - Can you now use the USB loader to load backupped ISO from you external drive?

I think if you guys could fill in the blanks here, and add what i've missed (especially the CIOS## stuff) this could be the base for a real noob proof tutorial.

Thx in advance for all the info.

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    NAND = Something you need to back to prevent bricking? Man I sound like a noob (which I am in terms of WiiHacking)
    NAND = the 512 MB flash memory

BootMii = Meant to protect you from bricking your Wii? You use this to backup your NAND? And then there's something about boot2?
    only when installed as boot2, as IOS it's only to run mini projects(but there aren't that many for now)

DVDx = Enables your wii to read Dvds'
    ONLY FOR MEDIAPLAYERS!!!!!!!

WAD file = Files you can run from your HBC
    .dol and .elf = Files you can run from your HBC
    .wad = Files you can install, IOS and channels for example, always a brick risk

Also to be able to use an usb loader you need a cIOS installed.

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    There are stickies that will help you

4. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    whats your version is your wii and whats you first 4 digits of the serial of your wii?

5. WiiPower

Germany
    If you use the right tools this does not matter anymore.

6. saratis
    OP

Newcomer saratis Newbie

United States
    Ok. Thanks for the info so far.

So my plan so far:
    - Use WBFSManager3.0.1-RTW-x86.zip to format my drive and put isos on
    - Use bannerbomb to install hackmii_installer_beta2.zip
    - Install cIOS38_rev13b-Installer.dol using this guide: http://fathertom.net/hardwii/?p=488
    >> This talks about downgrading, is that still neccesary?
    - Install Cios_usb2_beta3.tar.bz2 using the HBC
    >> I read about meta files, what are these and how do i create them?
    >> Secondly, where do i put the cios_usb2_install.dol file? In the SD root, or a different dir?
    - Use any USB loader to load games and stuff of your USB Drive
    >> What usb loader is recommended? Is it just looks that differ? Or do some work better than others?

Questions:
    - Where does the NAND backup come in
    - Am I missing anything?

7. BillandAlisha

Member BillandAlisha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wiipower, was nice...to an noob question ?! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also: Where does the NAND backup come in. That comes in, hopefully never. But it's always smart to keep a backup of your NAND on to your computer. Just in case you do Brick up your Wii and you need to restore it.

I would recommend you to run and install BootMii and make a NAND backup, before messing with your Wii. That way if you mess up, no worries.

8. WiiPower

Germany
    Don't be so surprised. If a newbie takes the time to explain his thoughts/problems in an understandable way without leaving out the most important infos, i'm willing to help. or at least point into the right direction.

9. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    When you run the hackmii installer beta v2 you can also install bootmii along with the HBC. If your Wii is old enough you can install bootmii to boot2 where it will provide brick protection, otherwise you can only install it as an IOS which can only be loaded from the HBC (so basically no brick protection in itself.) Once you install that you can reboot your Wii (if boot2 installed) and use a GC controller to navigate the menu and go to the 4th icon and then the first one to make a NAND backup of your Wii at it's current state (need at least about 540 MB left on your SD card) and let it complete the verification even though it says you can skip it. Then you can back the nand.bin file up to your pc and keep that there for safekeeping. Once you finish doing everything you need and it all works fine I would suggest making another NAND backup at that point and back that one up as well. Think of NAND backups as system restore points in Windows. It will restore your Wii to exactly how it was at the time you made the backup so you can make one before you do anything remotely dangerous to your Wii so you can fall back to that point if it messes up. Also note that it will revert save game data back to that point as well so back those up if you need to restore it.

So yea basically bannerbomb -> hackmii installer -> HBC/Bootmii -> NAND backup -> Trucha Bug Restorer -> cIOS installation -> USB loader apps on SD card -> format HDD to wbfs and put games on it (doesn't matter when you do this) -> NAND backup again if everything's working fine -> ... -> profit!

10. saratis
    OP

Newcomer saratis Newbie

United States
    Unfortunately im stuck.

Bannerbomb and hackmii and nand backup was ez.

But i cant get rev13a installed, nor the trucha bug restorer.

The rev13 installers gives me the 2011 error. So Nabster said, use the trucha bug restorer. I ran it from HBC, chose IOS36, tried the ios36 menu, tried the install, but it told me i needed to run the iso15 downgrade. So i ran the IOS15 downgrade, installed everything from NUS (no idea what this is), said it installed fine. Tried to run the ios36 patch, same error (-2011)

What in heavens name am i doing wrong?

Its like i said in my start post, there is no GOOD CLear tutorial available that explains everything and takes it step by step. Its always "install rev13", "use truncha bug" etc, but then you get like 10 options presented in the menu's and you stuck.

Hope someone can help me?

11. nabster92

United States
    From WiiPower:

"You need IOS15v257, IOS15v266 and IOS36v3094 wads on root of sd card for it.
    With these names: IOS15-64-v257.wad, IOS15-64-v266.wad and IOS36-64-v3094.wad.

Step 1: Downgrade IOS15
    Step 2: Install IOS36 with trucha bug to IOS249
    Step 3: Restore IOS15
    Step 4: Use IOS249 in the cIOS installer"

12. saratis
    OP

Newcomer saratis Newbie

United States
    Thanx for you fast reply, i tried this, but the ios36 process ends with the message (-2011) that i need to downgrade the ios15, i've tried it like 5 times. With NUS and with the wads.. Any ideas

13. nabster92

United States
    Well then it seems you're not actually downgrading IOS15 properly or something. I haven't tried using this program myself since my Wii already has cIOS and stuff on it so I'm not exactly sure what you need to do, but if it's still saying you need to downgrade IOS15 then I take it you still need to properly downgrade IOS15 before trying to install IOS36 more times.

Someone who has used it themselves or WiiPower should be able to answer you properly.

14. WiiPower

Germany
    Problem was solved by using IOS15 as firmware.

15. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    im pretty sure all u do is rub a magnet on the casing while its powered , that erases the copy protection, it also allows u to run a cappacino maker off the usb pport

16. dogmanky

Newcomer dogmanky Member

United States

Does that mean he wasn't properly downgrading then? Can you give more details for those of us still learning?

Thanks!

17. WiiPower

Germany
    He did not run IOS15 after downgrading it.