H2testw results.....

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
just reformatting the device will not mark bad sectors. You will need to run chkdsk, this will mark them as bad sectors and reallocate reseve sectors from a hidden spare area. Then bad sectors will not show up again. Chrystal Disk will show a value of the amount of used reseve sectors, if a high amount would be probably used will say the card is dying.
so in second and third tests in h2testw they should still be an error and bad sectors in results?
Post automatically merged:

I still would be more cautious since it did throw the media is likely to be defective , also Silicon Power isn't popular for micro SD.
ofc it is not know for SD cards but they sell some stuff and to be honest I go for it because of price and I was curious : D

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so in second and third tests in h2testw they should still be an error and bad sectors in results?

ofc it is not know for SD cards but they sell some stuff and to be honest I go for it because of price and I was curious : D

Well may as well run another test under exFAT.

Reactions: Lamcza

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2h left : D wonder why it's way slower than crystal bench on 1gb files, speeds in h2testw are like -20,-30%

Well in term of your read and write speed from h2testw it is slower compare to Samsung one, when I did mine I was getting like 75 and 75 MBytes/s read and write, seem it just the speed the silicon power can really output.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
*sigh* almost no one seems to read the h2testw log. What it tells you is that a very small amount of data got corrupted. Looks like bit flips so the cards ECC failed. It can hold the amount of data it advertises roughly so it's not fake but there seems to be a defect from the factory. If you are lucky it will just swap out the bad flash block and it will work fine after but i certainly would not trust this card with data integrity. Get it replaced if you just bought it.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well in term of your read and write speed from h2testw it is slower compare to Samsung one, when I did mine I was getting like 75 and 75 MBytes/s read and write, seem it just the speed the silicon power can really output.
before h2 i was smashing it in crystal it can output 90+ r/w on 1gb files in multiple tests x9 few times even on full card plus i was testing few smaller cards from other brands today and speed were also slower in h2

*sigh* almost no one seems to read the h2tesw log. What i tells you that a very small amount of data got corrupted. Looks like bit flips so the cards ECC failed. It can hold the amount of data it advertises roughly so it's not fake but there seems to be a defect from the factory. If you are lucky it will just swap out the bad flash block and it will work fine after but i certainly would not trust this card with data integrity.
i mean i read it, it fails at the very end with the rlly small amout of data :Xswap ? so it is possible that with more testing it will not show this error again at lest for now?

Last edited by Lamcza,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
but error should pop in other h2testw or not?
HWTest doesn't fix your SD/microSD card if that's what you're thinking. Despite the filesystem it could have, errors will remain on it, but on Windows Explorer, the OS will ignore take care of damaged sectors and won't use them to store data. This is one of such features most recent filesystems have and can deal with them better than previous ones.

If you already tried the CHKDSK command on it, most damaged sectors should already be marked as damaged and not useable, so when trying again with HWTests, errors might or might not pop up again.

On SD/microSD cards using NTFS is somewhat a waste of time as those storage devices can't handle all its features.

If your card is faulty, errors will increase upon using it to the point it becomes useless, despite it's filesystem.

Last edited by CMDreamer,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Not in this case, Crystal Disk Info doesn't work on SD/microSD cards. It works only on hard drives.
They where using Crystal Disk Mark to do speed tests.

never the less. 256kb sounds normal for being corrupted imho. If you don't trust it, return it.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They where using Crystal Disk Mark to do speed tests.

never the less. 256kb sounds normal for being corrupted imho. If you don't trust it, return it.
the third test and second on exfat shows no errors

Warning: Only 949057 of 949059 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 43.6 MByte/s
Reading speed: 66.0 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

if i understand all of the feedback correctly bad sector with just format should stay there despite of it so any tests after the first one should also confirm bad sectors? now its 1 slighty but bad tets vs 2 perfectly fine

HWTest doesn't fix your SD/microSD card if that's what you're thinking. Despite the filesystem it could have, errors will remain on it, but on Windows Explorer, the OS will ignore take care of damaged sectors and won't use them to store data. This is one of such features most recent filesystems have and can deal with them better than previous ones.

If you already tried the CHKDSK command on it, most damaged sectors should already be marked as damaged and not useable, so when trying again with HWTests, errors might or might not pop up again.

On SD/microSD cards using NTFS is somewhat a waste of time as those storage devices can't handle all its features.

If your card is faulty, errors will increase upon using it to the point it becomes useless, despite it's filesystem.
man iam not that stupid :D i know my english looks reatrded ofc its on me :D

Last edited by Lamcza,

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah the system disabled the sectors probably. Nothing to worry about.

Bad sectors happens. Lets take the example of the Wii.

Some NAND chips have badblocks from the factory. It happens. The filesystem will notice it and disable from writing to it again.

If you however get like 5mb of badblocks, yepp something is fishy or the card is dying.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Then most likely those bad sectors have been marked as bad already.

The main issue here is that once an SD/microSD card starts showing damaged sectors, the count will increase on a high rate over time. The same applies for a USB Flash Drive.
if i understand all of the feedback correctly bad sector with just format should stay there despite of it so any tests after the first one should also confirm bad sectors? now its 1 slighty but bad tets vs 2 perfectly fine
A simple drive format process doesn't take care of bad sectors, it should be dealt with a software made for dealing with them. Windows has CHKDSK and it makes an acceptable-level job.
man ima not that stupid :D i know my english looks reatrded ofc its on me :D
No please, don't misunderstand me. Never said you are stupid, but there are many people here on GBATemp whose mother language isn't English, and your question made me think you were asking as if you believed HWTest fix SD/microSD cards.

My bad.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Then most likely those bad sectors have been marked as bad already.

The main issue here is that once an SD/microSD card starts showing damaged sectors, the count will increase on a high rate over time. The same applies for a USB Flash Drive.

A simple drive format process doesn't take care of bad sectors, it should be dealt with a software made for dealing with them. Windows has CHKDSK and it makes an acceptable-level job.

No please, don't misunderstand me. Never said you are stupid, but there are many people here on GBATemp whose mother language isn't English, and your question made me think you were asking as if you believed HWTest fix SD/microSD cards.

My bad.

Marked bad by what?

If format has nothing to do with covering bad sectors (ofc) why any ohter tests besides first one are good?

No hard feelings, and iam a bit confused/stupid about this :D

Yeah the system disabled the sectors probably. Nothing to worry about.

Bad sectors happens. Lets take the example of the Wii.

Some NAND chips have badblocks from the factory. It happens. The filesystem will notice it and disable from writing to it again.

If you however get like 5mb of badblocks, yepp something is fishy or the card is dying.

System? Like sd card file system can do this : o?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean i have the feeling that someting go bad on first test but if sd card can "cover" bad sectors by itself idk anymore :D

There is no pain i can return it up to 30 days and if not i have 5y

guarantee from sp i can return it easy but this is interesting :D

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Marked as bad by the CHKDSK command, that's what I meant, sorry, I assumed you already issued that command on your card.
no iam working step by step, after extensive bench in crystal i went for h2testw and i get 1 bad vs 2 good resoults:
bad exfat, good fat32, good exfat.

each h2testw takes around 11h on 1tb and my pc soo :D

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I mean, the sd card does have some logic inside of it, and when something triggered those blocks they probably got disabled by the sd card itself right? (I'm sadly not that invested in how they work)

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I mean, the sd card does have some logic inside of it, and when something triggered those blocks they probably got disabled by the sd card itself right? (I'm sadly not that invested in how they work)
hah me too that's why iam so confused by all of this, for sure they can lock themselves on reading even a perfectly new one. That's why iam avoiding patriot micro sd : D lexar play can even thermal throtering themselves hard and sops transferring completely for some time.

Last edited by Lamcza,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol