Gaming Guilty Gear Fighting Games?

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I am looking into getting a new fighting game for my PS4 (For play on my PS5). Anyway, I was on the Playstation Store site, and on here, and I am curious about the Guilty Gear Series. I have not played any of them, and know nothing about them. Are they worth getting? Which one(s) should I start with? I have about $48 to spend right now. Thoughts and help appreciated :)

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't played them, but keep in mind that fighting games are pretty niche outside of Super Smash Bros. I liked the Blazblue games enough on 360. Outside of Smash and maybe Street Fighter expect to have difficulty finding online opponents in fighting games. Maybe Tekken too, but expect Guilty Gear, Blazblue, and Dead or Alive to be dead after a couple months.

Fighting games were always more of an arcade kinda game, and home ports were there to enjoy at home (affordably) and have some friends over.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I quite often use metacritic to get a general over view of games before I purchase on PSN: https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps4/filtered

my site has links to meta for aggregated reviews, I can’t seem to hook the api with just JS, but for now you can search the games and click “R” for reviews:

https://defaultdnb.github.io/

76B9677C-6D7C-4438-9DD0-EF77F314A6D1.jpeg

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, they are worth getting, Guilty Gear is a series based on high speed gameplay (The most recent ones, from Xrd onward, reduces the speed quite a bit) and it's very combo heavy, but its combo system (in wich you cancel moves by going upwards in power) guarantees that a newbie can manage just fine.

Special attacks are your typical FG stuff and Ultra/Overdrive attacks are easy to pull off, there are some advanced tech like roman cancel (pushing three buttons simultaneously to cancel any attack) wich you can implement once you have gotten used to the basic stuff.

Art and music are top notch, and the series was designed from the start with the Dual Shock in mind, so you won't have issues with strange inputs and you can even set up shortcuts of button combinations to single inputs (Like, for example, the mentioned Roman Cancel to L1/L2/R")

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans