1. Skeet1983

OP Skeet1983 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Hi guys. I am looking into getting a new fighting game for my PS4 (For play on my PS5). Anyway, I was on the Playstation Store site, and on here, and I am curious about the Guilty Gear Series. I have not played any of them, and know nothing about them. Are they worth getting? Which one(s) should I start with? I have about $48 to spend right now. Thoughts and help appreciated :)

2. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    I haven't played them, but keep in mind that fighting games are pretty niche outside of Super Smash Bros. I liked the Blazblue games enough on 360. Outside of Smash and maybe Street Fighter expect to have difficulty finding online opponents in fighting games. Maybe Tekken too, but expect Guilty Gear, Blazblue, and Dead or Alive to be dead after a couple months.

Fighting games were always more of an arcade kinda game, and home ports were there to enjoy at home (affordably) and have some friends over.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen, Jan 22, 2021
  3. KiiWii

KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
  4. ChronFish

ChronFish Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Mortal Kombat will always be the best. I used to like boxing games on my PS2, but idk if there is a new one.

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    something I found hilarious in Rocky Legends is that I believe you can fight as the Rocky statue or it's unlockable or something.

6. Osakasan

Osakasan GBAtemp Maniac

Yes, they are worth getting, Guilty Gear is a series based on high speed gameplay (The most recent ones, from Xrd onward, reduces the speed quite a bit) and it's very combo heavy, but its combo system (in wich you cancel moves by going upwards in power) guarantees that a newbie can manage just fine.

Special attacks are your typical FG stuff and Ultra/Overdrive attacks are easy to pull off, there are some advanced tech like roman cancel (pushing three buttons simultaneously to cancel any attack) wich you can implement once you have gotten used to the basic stuff.

Art and music are top notch, and the series was designed from the start with the Dual Shock in mind, so you won't have issues with strange inputs and you can even set up shortcuts of button combinations to single inputs (Like, for example, the mentioned Roman Cancel to L1/L2/R")

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Fighting, Guilty, Games