Hacking [Guide] Fully Softmod Any Wii (everything you need)

bobo66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deviyl said:
bobo66 said:
Thanks for the input, you gotta understand I know nothing about gaming, with this stuff I am a complete noob, other stuff I know, this I don't, and I don't want to do anything to brick my kids wii. I rather ask and be sure, before I do anything that might not be able to be undone.

I've backed up the NAND and in trying to follow the guide to up grade the menu and IOS36 I have been getting "Failed to boot selected file" error when I try to run either the firmware or IOS36 upgrade.

I searched the site and saw reference to a sd format problem so I downloaded and ran this http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/ (the original link I found here dead-ended) reformatted the sd card and got the same problem..... any ideas? suggestion?

Asking questions is fine. My rant wasn't really directed toward you, but just in general about the whole downgrading issue. Watch the video again and make sure you are doing everything exactly like it does. If you're doing it via network, make sure you click network install everywhere it asks. If you're doing wad install, make sure you have all the wads. Not sure what you mean by :either firmware or ios36 upgrade".. what firmware are you trying to upgrade? If you're following the guide, stick to it and don't do anything else that it doesn't say. Make sure you downgraded ios15 before patching ios36.

Rant? didn't notice.

Sorry, but I also didn't notice any video. I have been trying to so this all by SD card.

The guide have been following is at the head of this thread.

let me rehash what I've done.

I began at the "Getting HomeBrew and BootMii" and got those loaded. (are these all the wads?)

I originally bypassed this link:

bgu39c.jpg

because I didn't know if I should upgrade the Menu from 3.3u to 4.1,

After the information in your post, I went back to the first link above with information about upgrading the system menu. From that link

10dgpko.jpg

I was first tying to upgrade the Custom IOS36 rev10 (which I now have read is outdated and should use rev14) which it said was not required but recommended, when that failed (on sd card, started HBC, launched bootmii, selected sd card, tried to load the file, got the "Failed to boot selected file"); I tried to upgrade the firmware from 3.3 to 4.1 by doing the same thing (on sd card, started HBC, launched bootmii, selected sd card, tried to load the file, got the "Failed to boot selected file")

I read that it might be an sd formatting issue, so I downloaded the sd format program and reformatted the card, but I still have the same problem.

Now I'm kind of stuck. Sorry to be such a pain.

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
killmoves said:
Thanks Deviyl,

On my first time with my nephews' Wii I was already with the Kingston 2gb SD card loaded with all the files required and I follow every step on the intended order.

Above, I said the SD card was "loaded with all the files required" but that is not entirely truth. I forgot to add the IOS38 Wad file (since their Wii doesn't have internet connection) and after I installed PreLoader I turn off the Wii to save the IOS into the SD card.

After that I insert the SD card back on the Wii and turn it on, then I successfully loaded the IOS38 and finished installing Neogamma.

Now, their Wii works fine and is able to run backed up games (the main reason I did all that), but the Wii's original system doesn't work. When I try access from the PreLoader or the HBC I got a black screen saying the files are corrupted.

So I ask you, is this a expected outcome from all the hacking I just did or at some point something went wrong?

Thanks Again.No it is not expected. Somewhere along the way you messed up. I wish I could be more specific, but there are a lot of places you could have went wrong. Get some new SM files and load them up and see what happens. Did you install IOS60 when you upgraded SM?

QUOTE(lekens123 @ Sep 20 2009, 06:00 PM) Hi everyone !! i have a wii 4.1k and i cant use Hackmii v3 so i cant backup nand and also cant install HBC, do i have to install any IOS or cIOS first ?? thx !!
HBC is step 1, without it, there is no hacks. Why can't you use HackMii v3?

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bobo66 said:
Rant? didn't notice.

Sorry, but I also didn't notice any video. I have been trying to so this all by SD card.

The guide have been following is at the head of this thread.

let me rehash what I've done.

I began at the "Getting HomeBrew and BootMii" and got those loaded. (are these all the wads?)

I originally bypassed this link:

bgu39c.jpg

because I didn't know if I should upgrade the Menu from 3.3u to 4.1,

After the information in your post, I went back to the first link above with information about upgrading the system menu. From that link

10dgpko.jpg

I was first tying to upgrade the Custom IOS36 rev10 (which I now have read is outdated and should use rev14) which it said was not required but recommended, when that failed (on sd card, started HBC, launched bootmii, selected sd card, tried to load the file, got the "Failed to boot selected file"); I tried to upgrade the firmware from 3.3 to 4.1 by doing the same thing (on sd card, started HBC, launched bootmii, selected sd card, tried to load the file, got the "Failed to boot selected file")

I read that it might be an sd formatting issue, so I downloaded the sd format program and reformatted the card, but I still have the same problem.

Now I'm kind of stuck. Sorry to be such a pain.
HomeBrew is a wad, but it's in a dol installer, so you will never see the wad file.

Do you have a network connection? If so, upgrade via Nintendo.

The video I referenced was for patching IOS36 later in the guide.

The IOS you are referring to is the cIOS for playing games. It is no longer based on 36 and is now cIOS38 rev14. This has absolutely nothing to do with the upgrade and can wait until later in the guide.

lekens123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
HIi !! my wii is 4.1kor and i cant use Hackwii v03, freeze at the first image appears and control remote doesnt work, so i cant install HBC, i try to downgrade fw or change region but dont have luck, thing is that i use wad manager to install some IOS then (15-v266, 36-v3609) and still cant change region and firmware to 4.1E or U, i used downgrade 1.11 and anyregion1 and i get blackscreen, i dont what else to do, any idea ???? thx

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lekens123 said:
HIi !! my wii is 4.1kor and i cant use Hackwii v03, freeze at the first image appears and control remote doesnt work, so i cant install HBC, i try to downgrade fw or change region but dont have luck, thing is that i use wad manager to install some IOS then (15-v266, 36-v3609) and still cant change region and firmware to 4.1E or U, i used downgrade 1.11 and anyregion1 and i get blackscreen, i dont what else to do, any idea ???? thx
I'm confused. If you're not able to install HomeBrew, how are you running wad manager and ARC?

MurtenTK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If I am on firmware 4.1E and I have the nintendo channel can I use it, if I have everything done what's in your guide. The same for weather channel and news channel, internet channel, shop channel

stylishjm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to complete this guide from beggining to end even though I have already installed homebrew + 0.3 gamma. Reason being I want to make sure I have everything completed properly.

killmoves

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Deviyl said:
Did you install IOS60 when you upgraded SM?
No. The only IOS's I saved on the SD Card were 15(257 and 266), 36(3094), 37(3612) and 38(3610).

QUOTE(Deviyl @ Sep 20 2009, 10:56 PM) Get some new SM files and load them up and see what happens.
Do you mean that I should download everything again and start over?

Thanks for the support.

RRoD420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
killmoves said:
Deviyl said:
Did you install IOS60 when you upgraded SM?
No. The only IOS's I saved on the SD Card were 15(257 and 266), 36(3094), 37(3612) and 38(3610).

QUOTE(Deviyl @ Sep 20 2009, 10:56 PM) Get some new SM files and load them up and see what happens.
Do you mean that I should download everything again and start over?

Thanks for the support.

Go back into homebrew channel and reinstall Preloader .29, then in preloader go to settings and make sure it's set to system menu IOS: 60. try booting the system menu again.

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MurtenTK said:
If I am on firmware 4.1E and I have the nintendo channel can I use it, if I have everything done what's in your guide. The same for weather channel and news channel, internet channel, shop channel

killmoves

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
RRoD420 said:
Go back into homebrew channel and reinstall Preloader .29, then in preloader go to settings and make sure it's set to system menu IOS: 60. try booting the system menu again.
Thanks mate, I'll do that. Unfortunetly, I'll only be able to do it on the weekend.

I'll let you know the results.

Thanks again.

BananaX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I followed your guide completely and I appreciate the work you've put in. However, I have a problem. Now, my disc channel won't recognize my normal discs, giving the "Error Reading Disc" message on the channel screen on the system menu. I don't think I did anything wrong...? Could you explain this or perhaps provide a solution? Thanks

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BananaX said:
Hey, I followed your guide completely and I appreciate the work you've put in. However, I have a problem. Now, my disc channel won't recognize my normal discs, giving the "Error Reading Disc" message on the channel screen on the system menu. I don't think I did anything wrong...? Could you explain this or perhaps provide a solution? Thanks
Disk channel should not have been affected. Is your disk in right-side up?

uofatest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A long time ago (probably 10-12 months ago) a friend installed the Homebrew Channel for me using the Twilight Princess hack but I never did anything with it. Now I'm interested in using my Wii to play burnt discs and downloaded VC games but I am unsure where on the guide I should start. I assume I would just skip the Bannerbomb section about installing the HBC and start after that but I'm unsure if I may be missing any programs or files that are essential. If you could help me out I would appreciate it, thanks.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
no follow the guide from the start and you will have proper brick protection + much more.

you can follow his guide or mine, not really a difference except mine installs a couple of extra features

uofatest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
no follow the guide from the start and you will have proper brick protection + much more.

you can follow his guide or mine, not really a difference except mine installs a couple of extra features
Perfect, thank you for the fast response.

lekens123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
OK, i can run WAD MANAGER using this APPS as a *.dol file, i cant use Hackmii v.03 or 02 everytime i wanna run this utility freeze the screen or says that "there is no IOS installed" or something like that, my wii version is 4.1K, thx !

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lekens123 said:
OK, i can run WAD MANAGER using this APPS as a *.dol file, i cant use Hackmii v.03 or 02 everytime i wanna run this utility freeze the screen or says that "there is no IOS installed" or something like that, my wii version is 4.1K, thx !
What? Sporadic ranting about what you have or don't have isn't going to get you far. How about some more details. Maybe spend more than ten seconds on your post with some clear, well defined and thought out questions stating exactly what you've accomplished and what you are trying to accomplish.

From what you've said so far, there is absolutely no sense. You can't get HackMii to work (which is the way I've defined in the guide to get HBC), but you can run WAD Manager, which, as the guide points out, needs HBC to run. If you're following the guide, of course.

I know there are other ways of accomplishing these things, but if you've done so, explain them or I'm assuming you're doing what the guide says.

Anyway, the error you posted about not having an IOS.. usually means there's no usable IOS for whatever you're trying to run to use (a custom IOS is needed). Install cIOS and try again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/PMCaXL2sGpc?si=jAKEK_yJL318jk17 lol