Hacking GUI WAD Manager??

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dan_Aykroyd said:
forbore said:
Maybe the app could check for a MD5 checksum in a text file that way it would know if the WAD was damaged. That would be easy to do...
Well most of this ideas are cool but also an overkill! Check for malicious WAD? WTF? They're not like viruses! You should know what you download; at most you'll bannerbrick if you don't have a safety net, but what else would happen? A WAD that deleted all of your IOSes? Maybe deleted all your savegames? Come on... where do you get all that stuff!?
A wad that deletes all your IOSes is not impossible, it's frightening how easy it is.
Editing the AnyTitleDeleter source to delete the IOSes one after another. Compile it, search for a harmless banner like USB Loader or something, put the dol and a few dummy files into a wad and upload it, finished. You can only tell that it's bad after starting the channel.
I don't want to write a virus-howto here, the people who can do it are not so stupid to do it and the kiddies who want to do it won't manage it
tongue.gif

That's the sad thing about the Trucha bug, anyone can sign everything.

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes... of course you are right; I know it's very easy to do! Only by editing ATD code as you say and forcing it to delete the system menu (at least) would make a huge mess. But my point was, where would you be getting that WAD? They're not viruses that autodownload to your wii and execute, so you'll have to be pretty stupid to manually download something like that without having BootMii as backup.

So, checking MD5 against a master file wouldn't work very well neither because there are countless of legit WADs released every day by groups and regular users thru WAD Creator that would get marked as bad.

Swizler

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dan_Aykroyd said:
Yes... of course you are right; I know it's very easy to do! Only by editing ATD code as you say and forcing it to delete the system menu (at least) would make a huge mess. But my point was, where would you be getting that WAD? They're not viruses that autodownload to your wii and execute, so you'll have to be pretty stupid to manually download something like that without having BootMii as backup.

So, checking MD5 against a master file wouldn't work very well neither because there are countless of legit WADs released every day by groups and regular users thru WAD Creator that would get marked as bad.
who would be stupid enough to do shit like that

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wad safety tips:

1. Only download and install wads from RELIABLE sources. (ie: created by a respectable scener, tested by others as working)

2. If it is a WiiWare wad, check it against Nago's WiiWare DAT (Offlinelist)

3. If it is a WiiVC wad, check it against PsyKos's WiiVC DAT (Offlinelist)

If you have bootmii boot2, it pretty much does not matter just as long as you have a valid nand backup to restore to, but live by these wad rules and you are pretty darn certain never to brick.

Swizler

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
Wad safety tips:

1. Only download and install wads from RELIABLE sources. (ie: created by a respectable scener, tested by others as working)

2. If it is a WiiWare wad, check it against Nago's WiiWare DAT (Offlinelist)

3. If it is a WiiVC wad, check it against PsyKos's WiiVC DAT (Offlinelist)

If you have bootmii boot2, it pretty much does not matter just as long as you have a valid nand backup to restore to, but live by these wad rules and you are pretty darn certain never to brick.
Where is a reliable wad source?

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Swizler said:
Empyr69er said:
I am working on the graphics of this Wad Manager GUI for giantpune. It is looking pretty slick. I will definitely have a huge chunk of the graphic work completed by tonight. Expect a release soon!
Thanks dude release source when u do the initial release
Would be a GPL violation if he didn't. (Unless he wrote his own WAD Manager).

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D

Deleted-119707

nice. will pictures/covers be implemented? like usb loaders. if you havr the name of the wad the same as the image file it shows the image.

cant wait for the release.

oh, will you continue giving info on your project in this thread or are you going to make a new one? im going to subscribe
biggrin.gif

Empyr69er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
nicky041192 said:
nice. will pictures/covers be implemented? like usb loaders. if you havr the name of the wad the same as the image file it shows the image.

cant wait for the release.

oh, will you continue giving info on your project in this thread or are you going to make a new one? im going to subscribe
biggrin.gif

The graphics are all complete for Wad Manager GX. Giantpune is going to be compiling it very soon. I do not think that pictures/covers are implemented in this release, but the source code is also going to be released along with the app so someone could add additional tweaks such as image capabilities.

caffeinekid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
At the top of my wish list (assuming it's not possible already?) would be installing wads directly to SD.

Installing a WAD to nand and then going back to the System menu and having to move it to SD is annoying and it would be great if there was an option to install them directly to the SD without having them on nand first.

Obviously the tickets need installing but the main data could be put on SD from the Wad manager?
smile.gif

D

Deleted-171178

the file on SD is encrypted with the wiis personalised SD key, making it hard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo