Homebrew RELEASE GUI for NSP Forwarder tool for 12+

HeartFullaNapalm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has already been asked, but is there any way to change the compression settings? My source image is pristine, but it's coming out highly pixelated.
I know this doesn't answer your specific question about compression settings, but this is the workaround:

1) Edit your image to be a 256x256 JPG (I use Paint's "resize" function for this, selecting the "pixels" option).
2) Open up the GUI and ensure the check-box for "Disable Image Conversion" is ticked. This must be done before selecting the image in "Icon Path".

Then proceed as normal!

I'm still very new to this. I hacked my launch Switch last week after getting the new OLED model. I've had loads of fun making forwarders with this tool this past week and I want to offer my thanks to @EddCase , @mpham , @Meliodas2255 , and @shadow256 for all the work they've put into this tool! Thanks also to all the commenters in this thread who have offered support and guidance to others, which I have been able to read to get answers to things I was struggling with.

MazuNX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a general location where files get installed during forwarder installations? I'm trying to completely remove my NXThemes Installer forwarder installation, because it resulted in a key extraction issue, which breaks the app when launching from a hbmenu forwarder. I did uninstall the NXThemes Installer forwarder, but the key extraction fails unless the app is launched from a game while holding R.

JakedUp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this doesn't answer your specific question about compression settings, but this is the workaround:

1) Edit your image to be a 256x256 JPG (I use Paint's "resize" function for this, selecting the "pixels" option).
2) Open up the GUI and ensure the check-box for "Disable Image Conversion" is ticked. This must be done before selecting the image in "Icon Path".

Then proceed as normal!

I'm still very new to this. I hacked my launch Switch last week after getting the new OLED model. I've had loads of fun making forwarders with this tool this past week and I want to offer my thanks to @EddCase , @mpham , @Meliodas2255 , and @shadow256 for all the work they've put into this tool! Thanks also to all the commenters in this thread who have offered support and guidance to others, which I have been able to read to get answers to things I was struggling with.
Oh, duh. Not sure how I missed that. Thanks!

JakedUp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Then proceed as normal!

Ok, so oddly this didn't make a difference. I fed the app a 256x256 JPEG and it after installed the icon still exhibits the typical JPEG compression artifacts. Source image is crystal clear. Attached is the image I am using.

Attachments

• Super Mario War [04C69A7E4B540000] [v0].jpg
    Super Mario War [04C69A7E4B540000] [v0].jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 94

HeartFullaNapalm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so oddly this didn't make a difference. I fed the app a 256x256 JPEG and it after installed the icon still exhibits the typical JPEG compression artifacts. Source image is crystal clear. Attached is the image I am using.
Did you tick the "Disable Image Conversion" check-box before selecting the image?

Zero-sama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally got forwarders working again with SAK by removing the exif data from my icons. SAK also has special character issue that this gui has or used to have so I can't get those to build at all for the time being.

HeartFullaNapalm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep. Worked just fine with other NSPs that I created, but not this one for some reason.
Hmm, the only thing I can think is that maybe there's some metadata on the image that's causing issues. A few pages back, a user encountered an issue with metadata when using GIMP to create the JPG, and re-saving the image in MS Paint solved their issue:

You, my friend, have just made my day!! Re-saving the JPG in MS Paint did the trick!

I wonder what kind of meta-data GIMP attaches to the pictures when exporting the original project to JPG that makes them not show up on the Switch menu.

Bah... whatevs! It's working now, so I'll chalk it up as one of the many unknown mysteries of the universe! Thanks again for the tip!

deokindet

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I succeed in forwarding Retroarch ROMS, and then installing them onto my Switch homescreen. It gives me no errors until I actually start the NSP which shows the Switch loading screen and then tells me The software was closed because an error occured. I've tried with GBA Roms and SNES roms and I assigned the correct core. It gives me no errors with the prod.keys file.
Does the name of the rom or core has special characters? If you wrote the path correctly and didnt move the app folder (like i did), try to rename the core and rom to a simpler name like pokemonemerald.gba or zelda.sfc

Eevenin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated the entire round to 13.1.0 (atmosphere/hekate/firmware, etc.) and the forwarders don't work now, whether I had them before or make new ones. Will this application need an update before forwarders made with it will work on the newst update, or is there something I can do in the meantime?

Edit: I'm incredibly dull sometimes. Double-checked on my updated sigpatches and it all works fine.

Last edited by Eevenin,

EggShweg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve been trying to forward Pokemon X in RetroArch (using m4xw’s rotated citra core) and it gives me an nsp file that won’t open. When I go to install the nsp through goldleaf or tinfoil it gives me an error: 2356-0009 (0x1364)

Update - I can forward nros just tested it with RetroArch works great, still can't get roms forwarded though.

Update.1 - I can forward Pokemon X now that I removed the special character 'é'. I thought I read somewhere special characters were fixed but ig not. I have it working with the regular citra core from m4xw. Going to test the rotated citra core next.

Update.2 - Everything is working, I got the icon (had to set to 256x256px and save as .jpg in Paint), It runs my Pokemon X rom with the rotated citra core from m4xw, and the logo (which I had set to default) works as planned. Using AMS 1.2.2 with OFW 12.1.0 - Thank you so much Edd!

Last edited by EggShweg,

K91

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi, hoping someone can help me as I'm getting a bit frustrated. This tool is great and I really appreciate all the effort put into this.

I was able to create 2 forwarders for GBA games when I first set this up. I then tried another 7 GBA games using the same method just changing the title, ID, icon and rom path. All the NSPs get created and install fine but fail to launch. The error is "unable to start software return to the home menu and try again".

I tried extracting all the files again into a new folder and tried to create another GBA rom forwarder but still got the same error.

All the GBA roms I'm trying to create forwarders for work perfectly through RetroArch, but fail to launch from the home screen using forwarders.

Zephir1991

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, hoping someone can help me as I'm getting a bit frustrated. This tool is great and I really appreciate all the effort put into this.

I was able to create 2 forwarders for GBA games when I first set this up. I then tried another 7 GBA games using the same method just changing the title, ID, icon and rom path. All the NSPs get created and install fine but fail to launch. The error is "unable to start software return to the home menu and try again".

I tried extracting all the files again into a new folder and tried to create another GBA rom forwarder but still got the same error.

All the GBA roms I'm trying to create forwarders for work perfectly through RetroArch, but fail to launch from the home screen using forwarders.
My guess would be the rom/core path is broken and the forwarder can't find your game. Had the same problem a few times.

K91

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My guess would be the rom/core path is broken and the forwarder can't find your game. Had the same problem a few times.
Thanks for the reply. I've double checked the paths multiple times and also copy pasted making sure I replace with the correct '/'.

In the end I've resorted to using SAK and it's worked for one of the roms I was struggling with. I'll try the rest of the GBA roms tomorrow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu