Gtk+ Installation Complications

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've had G++ setup on my (Windows) PC and I've been learning to write in C++ for quite a while now, so I've decided to venture into GUI's. I've been attempting to install Gtk+ for a day now, and quite frankly, I'm frustrated. I get the same error every single time I run "pkg-config --cflags gtk+-3.0":

Package gtk+-3.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-3.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'gtk+-3.0' found
The "bin" directory is in my $PATH, so I don't quite understand.
Anyone here have the same issue (or better yet, a solution)?

spoonm

Can count to 3.
Trophies
Website
spoonm.org
XP
Country
Brazil
Are you using MinGW?

The "bin" directory is in my $PATH, so I don't quite understand.

It's in your $PATH, but is it in your %PATH%?

I have never tried programming with GTK+, much less install the libraries on Windows. Double check everything, though. Maybe run `set PATH=%PATH%;C:\gtk\bin` or something.

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using MinGW?

It's in your $PATH, but is it in your %PATH%?

I have never tried programming with GTK+, much less install the libraries on Windows. Double check everything, though. Maybe run `set PATH=%PATH%;C:\gtk\bin` or something.
(Alright, thank God somebody finally replied to this thread.) I'll try that out now....
By the way, I'm using MinGW.

EDIT: It seems to have worked. Trying to compile some code now....

spoonm

Can count to 3.
Trophies
Website
spoonm.org
XP
Country
Brazil
No, unfortunately not. Looking into QT.

I would've told you not to give up, but if you think Qt is more up your alley and won't make you go through this sort of problem from the get go, go ahead.

For problems like yours, it's better to look into more guides on how to start developing graphical interfaces with GTK+. Only for the "setting up your environment" parts. After you get that sorted out, you can follow whichever you guide you choose, as they will serve as reference to the library itself, not the way you have your stuff setup.

I never made anything graphical, however, so I am not a good source for GTK+/Qt/WinAPI/* development in general: from setting up an environment to building your interface.

Sorry. :sad:

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would've told you not to give up, but if you think Qt is more up your alley and won't make you go through this sort of problem from the get go, go ahead.

For problems like yours, it's better to look into more guides on how to start developing graphical interfaces with GTK+. Only for the "setting up your environment" parts. After you get that sorted out, you can follow whichever you guide you choose, as they will serve as reference to the library itself, not the way you have your stuff setup.

I never made anything graphical, however, so I am not a good source for GTK+/Qt/WinAPI/* development in general: from setting up an environment to building your interface.

Sorry. :sad:
That's okay, QT is so much easier to setup and use. Thanks for the help, though!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt