GTA Offline

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Foxi4, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    [​IMG]
    The long-awaited "Grand Theft Auto V" add-on, "Grand Theft Auto Online" launched, and... it did not take off without its fair share of problems. This Massive Multiplayer Online Carnage Game (MMOCG, if you will) was highly-anticipated and the moment it launched, the flood gates have opened - players have overloaded the servers quicker than anyone (more like "everyone") could've predicted.​
    A "Mission Failed" message before a Mission even properly starts is just one of the problems "GTA Online" players are facing right now... provided they even connect in the first place, as "Rockstar Cloud Servers" may (and probably will) be "unavailable to them at the moment".​
    Such a situation was to be expected - the game sold over 15 million units and all those players wanted to have a taste of the Online experience as fast as possible. When will they be given the chance to do so without raging at the screen? Rockstar is "working on fixing the situation around the clock", but it's hard not to compare this to the "Diablo 3" fiasco and its infamous "Error 37". Fortunately "Grand Theft Auto V" is actually a good game so this situation probably won't give it a bad name... it has enraged millions of gamers though.​
    EDIT: Status Update, courtesy of ShadowSoldier
    :arrow: Source #2 (source of the banner - credit where credit is due)

2. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Well that's what you get for selling a billion copies of your game without having your online server ready. It's like selling the car and then putting the steering wheel in.

3. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    No its like selling you a car but there's a worldwide shortage on gas so you have to wait to use it.

Celice, calmwaters and Ammako like this.
  4. calmwaters

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Ah; even better.

5. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The server was "ready", it just wasn't ready to support several million players at the same time. ;) That's "stretching it" even by MMO standards and for all intents and purposes, this isn't an MMO. The popularity of the game surpassed anyone's expectations, it sold "beyond well".

6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    No, it's like selling cars to everyone without releasing roads, then releasing roads that aren't nearly large enough to allow everyone on them without causing traffic everywhere.

7. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    No, it's like selling everyone a car at the same time and only having a few roads.
    Edit: :ninja:

8. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    Before the release, I was expecting major issues to approach. What do you expect? A high technical game with so much stuff LOL obviously it'll get that. I'm not playing online until I finish the story. At the part where you have to pay for your "deeds".

9. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    ////

Last edited by Vipera, Nov 14, 2015
  10. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    No. it's like.....oh wait

I guess it shouldn't of been too much of a surprise considering how many would of been trying to get on-line.

11. calmwaters

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    It was either ready, or it wasn't ready. You must prepare for the worst case scenario, and they didn't, which is why several million players logging on at the same time overloaded the server. ;)

12. Thanatos Telos

Thanatos Telos random stuff

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Grand Theft Failure?
    GTA V: Offline Expansion Pack
    Not so grand now, are we?

Puns italicized for crappiness. Gahars, help a brother out!

13. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Spoilers ComeTurismO, spoilers. ;)
    Let me rephrase that then - they were ready... for a much smaller number of players online at the same time. :tpi:

By "ready" I meant that the infrastructure was set up, it's the player count bottleneck that failed... and yes, that means they weren't "ready" for these circumstances. :P

calmwaters likes this.
  14. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    OH SHIT LEMME EDIT DAT

calmwaters likes this.
  15. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

This is some GTA Jive if you ask me.

Thanatos Telos likes this.
  16. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Rockstar didn't knew it sold that well.
    I'll wait a day or 2 before connecting.

17. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    I'm glad i didn't try to get on-line with GTA5 too, cause that would of made matters worse :unsure:

18. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I expected something like this to happen, which is why I didn't even bother trying it out.

To whomever was crying about Rockstar being not ready or whatever, that's hardly the reason this happened. There are very few games outside of a couple MMOs that have several million users attempt to connect to their servers at one time. It's not that Rockstar wasn't ready, it was that everybody else was too ready. Hell, I doubt most sites would be able to handle traffic like that.

Ammako likes this.
  19. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I doubt one person would have made a difference unless you had like tens of thousands of consoles with GTA5 ready to connect :P

20. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The average Pokeflood is entirely capable of knocking out GBATemp servers, multiply that by thousands upon thousands and you're getting close to the problems Rockstar was facing. :P

calmwaters and gamefan5 like this.
  21. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    You'd have thought given that the game made its development budget back and more just on pre-orders that they'd have had some idea as to how popular the game would be and increased server capacity accordingly.