1. GeekyGuy

GeekyGuy Professional loafer
    Former Staff

United States
    For those folks still wondering whether or not the DS can produce decent enough 3D graphics to accommodate the open world of GTA, check out this latest video for Transformers Animated (not the games that came out a while back). Starting at about 1:51, there are some really nice examples of what can be done on DS in this vein. I think it looks pretty good, and I suspect Rockstar can do even better:

2. NightKry

NightKry GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Meh, I loved that game. Played it soo many times. I wish they would port RE3 and 2 too though.

3. jgu1994

jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    A report from UGO, sourced from a reader submitted survey, hints at unreleased details on Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars for the Nintendo DS. It's worth mentioning that virtually no details have been released on the game so far, so anything we hear will be considered "unreleased." We should also consider it rumor for now.

According to the UGO post, Chinatown Wars focuses on "an outsider navigating the criminal underworld of a major city", with the player controlling "a young gang soldier involved in the internal power struggle for control of his gang."

The survey also allegedly spills details on what that Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection support will be.

Four different game modes, one of them a race mode, are said to be included in GTA: Chinatown Wars. Cooperative wi-fi multiplayer is also listed as a feature.

The alleged survey also notes that the game will feature "20+ hours of straight gameplay" over the course of 70+ missions, as well as stylus-based, contextual mini-games "such as assembling a sniper rifle to complete an assassination mission, and smashing locks and hotwiring cars to steal them."

While the graphical plummet from Grand Theft Auto IV to whatever the Nintendo DS can spit out will certainly make it a strain on the eyes, we're still interested in the handheld exclusive release. If these details pan out to be true — we're checking in with Rockstar to see if they feel like confirming — we'll be in for something swell, I'm sure.

From Kotaku.

Just a rumor, but imo, this might hint toward 3d gameplay because to my knowledge there are no top down racers (exception being that ea game with all the minigames like dodgeball and trampoline). So, I doubt they would only make one part of it 3d and the rest top down. But still, this is just a rumor.

4. matrix121391

matrix121391 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There was a small mini-game top-down racer in South Park's Chef's Luv Shack. Midnight Club for the GBA was also top-down. I think there was one for the DS, but I don't blame you for not knowing or not even hearing of them. They were pretty poor in quality, but the fact that it exists might persuade GTA for the DS to take the easy way out.

5. OrR

OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Gambia, The
    There have been plenty of top-down racers. Micro Machines, Dreamway (stylus based), Ignition...
    I wonder if they will include radio stations and all the other little jokes and parodies. The satire is at least as important as the action in every GTA game. The story and characters in GTA IV reached a new level of realism and fun, I wonder if they'll be able to reproduce that on the DS. Usually I'd say it's easy to put a city into a DS cartridge, but if you want to include hours of music and voice tracks, it gets a little more challenging...

6. Linkiboy

Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    OH MY GOD ORR IS ALIVE

Oops, I'm blind, you've bee nalive for a while

Anyway, to not be totally offtopic.... I hope that it's like gta2. topdown 3d.

7. Gerinych

Gerinych GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    This may not be that related to this topic, but still, that's some good info:
    Article on DS.QJ.net

My guess is that with all that stuff, the game will weigh at least 2Gbit if it's gonna be all 3D on top of that.

8. Brian117

Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Co-op mod on WiFi?

This game such a MUST HAVE! I must have the real thing too. Not the rom...

9. Freakeh

Freakeh Newbie
    Newcomer

I thought the DS's carts could hold 2GB while the Nintendo 64 carts was limited to 512mb? According to Wikipedia it is the case but hey wiki may be wrong.

10. thedicemaster

thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    DS carts currently hold up to 256MB(2Gb)
    altough if they really wanted, nintendo could get carts up to 8GB

when working with filesizes, always check the B, lowercase=bit uppercase=byte.

11. CPhantom

CPhantom The Noob :(

United States
    I heard that the DS carts could hold 1GB, but the largest games have been 512MB. MOST games are 256MB if they are larger though.

12. NISMO_GTR

NISMO_GTR Member
    Newcomer

Belgium
    3D open world is possible on the ds just look at Tony Hawks skate land.

13. pasc

pasc Newbie

the max possible would be 4 GigaByte. Not 8, at least not without BankSwitching.

Of Course this game could be a awesome 3D DS game, the question is just, will it be, or not ?

My guess is: it will.

14. Calafas

Calafas GBAtemp Fan

And the Transformers DS games, which were released aaages ago, and they're open-world. Sure, theres no peds, and you cant enter buildings, but it shows open-world/free roam is possible, even though the graphics weren't great.

15. NISMO_GTR

NISMO_GTR Member
    Newcomer

Belgium
    I think there were peds in skateland and graphics are still amazing and transformers was out after skateland cant remeber

16. pasc

pasc Newbie

Skateland was out before Transformers....

EDIT: no offense...

17. Raestloz

Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    If the rumors are true, then it's more likely GTA will be in 3D, the only problem is the view, is it top-down or not?

18. starfox468

starfox468 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hopefully it will looks as good as COD4

19. Raestloz

Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    At least I can bear CoD4 graphics, that's for sure [​IMG]

20. OrR

OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Gambia, The
    Generally, 3D takes less storage space than 2D. You can build a lot of stuff with a few simple textures and polygons (which don't take much space). In 2D, you could do tiles, of course, but a modern 2D DS game would need quite a lot of detail and variety to be visually appealing. 2D animations also take loads of space.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Chinatown, graphics,