Gaming graphics card confusion

BedtimeGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i wanted to play some simple online games (maple story, cabal, sims2, and MAYBE WoW) but i have no video card, and my cpu can't handle it (well it sort of handles ms). i figured out that i have one pci express 16x slot on my mobo, and was wondering what kind of card will allow me to play games like that at DECENT speeds (i'm no extreme gamer i just don't want massive slow down on lowest settings). preferably one for under 40$?? also what do all the specs of a graphics card mean, and which are important?

System Specs
Budget:20-50$ Canadian Monitor:1280X1024 acer monitor Mobo: some old ECS thing... OS:windows XP home edition/ubuntu
CPU:the one that came with the mobo... Memory:1504MB DDR PSU: 115 volts, but i think i have a 130 volt one somewhere, may need to upgrade...
Cooling:fan

BedtimeGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
... ok i DID use newegg.ca already, i just wanted to know which to buy! according to that program cpu-z this is my setup:

cpu is:
Name: Mobile AMD Sempron 3000+ Core Speed: 1800.4 MHz

chipset is:
Northbridge: SiS 761GX rev. 01 Southbridge: SiS 964 rev. 36 AGP Revision: 3.0

Mainboard Model is:
761GX-M754-964 (0x00000327 - 0xE645C314)

oddly enough it seems to think i have a video card (i saw none on the motherboard):
Name: SiS Mirage Graphics Memory size: 32 MB performance: 0 (im assuming that if it is really there it sucks ue to the performance being 0)

so can i not use an Nvidia card because it said AGP? i thought i heard about that somewhere... also no newegg.COM links im in canada... so newegg.CA

chA1nBull3t

Trophies
Website
www.kalam1ty.co.cc
XP
Country
United States
The videocard it's picking up is most likely an integrated one (one which is built in to your mobo). Integrated cards are always pretty crappy though.

Your CPU is defiantly a bit on the weak side but judging from the games you are playing, they really aren't that intensive. I can understand WoW being a bit overtaxing on the rig you're using but chances are it's because of the GPU you currently have.

As for having AGP, you can use any prominant brand card, like nvidia or ati, but the video card you purchase MUST be AGP. Not PCI.

The rig you have is definitely ancient xD. If anything, I'd save up for a better computer to throw together to be honest. If you plan to upgrade in the long run, there really isn't anywhere to go.

BedtimeGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lol joe88 you are literally the MOST helpfull person ive met on this forum (you frickin' LABELLED my mobo) and provided all the best links... just wondering why it said AGP under chipset, if i have a pci-e slot...

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
baffle-boy said:
lol joe88 you are literally the MOST helpfull person ive met on this forum (you frickin' LABELLED my mobo) and provided all the best links... just wondering why it said AGP under chipset, if i have a pci-e slot...

maybe the chipset supports agp and pci-e, but they just build in a pci-e slot...
this support for both types was not that unusual for the time your motherboard was built because of the switch from agp to pcie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.