Grand Unified CFW?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by SirByte, Aug 23, 2015.

1. SirByte
    OP

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    We've witnessed (and are witnessing) the unification of PastaCFW and rxTools (which apparently is still in beta / dailies). Then we have Reinand CFW, with source available. Then we have CakesFW. Then there's NTR CFW 3.0.

While "competition" is good and encourages the addition of new features, having all these separate firmwares seems to be a bit too much.

What are the chances of seeing a Grand Unified CFW that takes the best from all these CFWs?

Margen67 and djalmafreestyler like this.
  2. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Very slim. Combining them in a way that works is very unlikely. Just look at the bugs in rxTools from trying to add N3DS support.

3. djalmafreestyler

djalmafreestyler GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 31, 2011
    Brazil
    This is a very good ideia I just don't know if it's possible...

4. darkredflame

darkredflame Member

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it's damn near impossible to get what you are requesting, you can look at the scene for previous products like the PS3 and the PSP and you can see the various CFWs made by different developers. I think while the whole attitude of the scene is to get people to work together to provide a great feature that can be accomplished on the device that wouldn't be able to be done before, but we end up having people who want to keep the information they found out to themselves and implement it into their own CFW to boost their popularity. So while it would be nice to have everybody unify together to create one awesome feature-riddled CFW, it won't happen in the long run, separate devs will make separate CFWs and life will go on as normal.

5. Dean_

Dean_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 11, 2014
    Someone likes simplicity.
    And the other likes full-featured all-in-one tools.

6. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    There is no way cakes team or rei would team up with rxtools. It would just slow them down.
    Rxtools has serious structural and organizational problems. The only thing is has going for it still is popularity.

7. 3xkrazy

3xkrazy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    Well, I think the best solution is to create a clean barebone modular cfw core. From there, devs could create modules/plugins to add functionality. Look at Retroarch, for example. CakesCFW is heading in this direction, I think.

8. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    never gonna happen

9. Simplicity

Simplicity Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2013
    United States
    I like full-featured all-in-one tools.

4ur0r and Vappy like this.
  10. 4ur0r

4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    ^ I see what you did there.
    Also, I sense like a "grudge" between CFWs developers: whereas there are pirate-oriented CFWs, others are just oriented to make the 3DS an open-console.
    Therefore, I don't think it's never gonna happen.

11. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    That doesn't really work here as they have little reason to want people to use their CFW over others. It more of depends on what the user wants and what the different CFWs provide.
    Doubtful. Even on the PSP, it wasn't that rare to have a couple of current CFW options, usually trying different things as they were mostly two different groups trying two things. Though, it wasn't that rare to have a developer working on both. Eventually, after the PSP was no longer commercially supported, one CFW did pop up with pretty much everything else integrated into it.

12. Reisyukaku

Reisyukaku Onii-sama~

Feb 11, 2014
    United States
    I could add every feature known to man to my CFW if i really wanted to, but my goal was to make a light weight, minimalistic CFW for people to use and learn from.. (seems like thats working fairly well).. but the lightweight-ness concept seems to be half way out the window after adding cryto stuff, lol.

Syphurith, Dean_, LinkmstrYT and 2 others like this.
  13. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    You wanted to see where I live? You stalker...
    I would love to see those features added. :)