Hardware GPU problems in the Wii

melao

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well, I have the dreaded flickering pixels problem in the Wii.

The video below illustrates what exactly happens in my Wii:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbOY5dCdUYs...ad.php?t=681693

Apparently this is a common problem, as this video was not made by me.
smile.gif

Some people states that this is either a defective GPU, or the heatsink was badly installed.
Eveybody says that I should send my Wii to Nintendo in order to fix it.
The problem is, I have a Modchip (Wasabi), meaning that my warranty is voided. (oups heehe)

So I am inclined in replacing the heatsink of the GPU. Do you think it's worthwhile ? I mean, maybe the GPU is already damaged by heat, or maybe only the heatsink is just not good enough. I don't know, any thoughts ?

Thanks

Cmurda187

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had same problem with my wii some months ago. Had to send wii back to nintendo and they sent me a new wii. I did this b4 i installed homebrew channel but probably if your wii is not modded with a chip and you reformat the wii your warrenty will not be voided.

melao

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Cmurda187 said:
Had same problem with my wii some months ago. Had to send wii back to nintendo and they sent me a new wii. I did this b4 i installed homebrew channel but probably if your wii is not modded with a chip and you reformat the wii your warrenty will not be voided.

My Wii is moded, I have the Wasabi chip.
Life sux.
smile.gif

This problem happens only when I use component cables.

EDIT:
I have been reading a lot and apparently if I replace the DVD the problem is fixed. Is that true ?
I mean, is the GPU soldered to the same place as the DVD drive ????

If so I will buy a new one. Are there any restrictions ?

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
up up up....
I have the same problem...
please look at the video above and see the comment on the video. some one says because turning on the wiiconn24 (wii in standby mode) and the GPU is frying. And please read my long story carefully:
actually when first time i buy my wii from USA in 2010, it dosent match with my voltage (220) so i use voltage stepdown to 120 volt and it works fine with component cable with no problem at all. and my habbitual is always remove the ac adapter after playing my wii. so my GPU is safe. and someday..... my voltage stepdown is broken. so the ac adapter output is 24 volt. and i think i have damge my wii. but i change my mind to buy a new adapter with 220 input (but 3rd party one). and my wii is back... but the component is so fuzzy or something like.. if you dont plug in the TV antenna correctly your screen will fuzzy or have a white spots. so i use my composite cable again. (*in that case i assume if i broke the gpu. so the component are broken) A few years laters, my wii got stuck with black screen because some cios problem. and i know, thats my fault. and finally i buy a used wii from japan and hope for the components cable working again. but..... the picture from composote very bad or fuzzy and have a single line in the middle if screen. and with component cable, i just got a black screen. and then the seller change the wii console and it japanese console again. finally the composite wokrs fine, but with component, still got a black screen. and i think i will not send the wii back to seller. after a week plying with composite, i think there is something wrong why my old wii is dosent work good with component after using new 3rd party adaptor? and the same problem happen with the used wii from japan? i try to following my crazy mind to use my 12 volt 1.2 ah battery to power on my wii. and... The component is back!!! and yeah.. because bad AC adapter will cause my wii wont show up component. and finally i got the original adaptor but in UK version. but no problem for me because UK have the same voltage with indonesia. and i can play my wii with component cable. But..... I can see 'the white spots'' about 5% and it will disturbing if your eyes is 30cm from the tv. but with 2 meters distance, i cannot see the white spots anymore. after a couple months, i notice if the white spots is back, bot only 10% and not disturbing me when playing game. but i want to make sure if this problem dosent getting worse anymore. maybe because the previous owner always standby mode the wii, and gpu is little bit frying up. so i need help from all of you guys.... I must give some extra fan for my wii, or what? I just want my wii dosent get worse anymore. Please help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment