Hacking gpsp save file location (retroarch)?

Olat

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jul 18, 2020
Messages
7
Trophies
0
Age
30
XP
73
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hi guys!
I started using gpsp as my main GBA core on my Vita. I wanted to transfer the savefile from my previous core (VBA Next), but was not able to. I'm not sure where gpsp saves the save files on my card. It seems all emulators save the files inside savefiles folder, but gpsp does not. I deleted all the files in that folder to test it out and my gpsp saves were still intact and usable.
Is there any way I can find where it saves files, and can I use my VBA Next save file (not save state) to just continue playing on gpsp?
Thank you so much!
 

Rahkeesh

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2018
Messages
2,018
Trophies
0
Age
40
XP
2,343
Country
United States
Just renaming them usually works... though I recall some games (i.e. specific save types) might be incompatible between VBA and gPSP?
 
Last edited by Rahkeesh,
  • Like
Reactions: Olat

Olat

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jul 18, 2020
Messages
7
Trophies
0
Age
30
XP
73
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Just renaming them usually works... though I recall some games (i.e. specific save types) might be incompatible between VBA and gPSP?
I tried just renaming the .srm file for Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island to .sav, and gpsp does not recognize it at all.
 

Rahkeesh

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2018
Messages
2,018
Trophies
0
Age
40
XP
2,343
Country
United States
One thing to try is to move the VBA save to a PC VBA emulator, then "export battery save." Although this didn't always work for me, it seemed to help some. You can also try loading the save into mGBA and then doing something to trigger a new save, it might correct the format.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Olat

Olat

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jul 18, 2020
Messages
7
Trophies
0
Age
30
XP
73
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
One thing to try is to move the VBA save to a PC VBA emulator, then "export battery save." Although this didn't always work for me, it seemed to help some. You can also try loading the save into mGBA and then doing something to trigger a new save, it might correct the format.
Hmmm... That does make sense in theory. I'll give it a go after work and update if it worked. :) Thanks!
 

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users