Homebrew gpsp compatibility on Retroarch for 3DS

quixote

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in April, changes were made to the gpsp retroarch core which fixed dynarec for ARM processors. This means that gpsp no longer crashes when dynarec is enabled. On a new 3DS, most GBA games are now playable at 60 FPS. I like VC injects, and up until now I had most of my favorite GBA games prepared that way. I like emulation more. I appreciate the slight smoothing done to the image as it is resized up to fill the 3DS screen. I like the 3DS going in to sleep mode when I shut the lid. I like being able to save state and exit my game immediately if my daughter is asking me to hand the 3DS over so she can play tomodachi.

I would like to get a list rolling of games that currently do not run ideally in gpsp, and are still best played as VC injects. Here's what I've got so far:

Car Battler Joe - Runs without crashing, but the shadows under your character's feet are distractingly inaccurate
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga - Game freezes
Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age - Game spontaneously reboots during intro
Mario Golf: Advance Tour - Game spontaneously reboots at character creation
River City Ransom DX - Arm11 crash during opening sequence after starting new game

Special case:
Final Fantasy VI Advance patched - I use the sound restoration patch, the color restoration patch, and a handful of bugfix patches whenever I play this game. The patched game has an Arm11 crash that is not present in the base ROM.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"True" 3D games in general seem incompatible, such as Duke Nukem and Doom/II. Though "mode 7" stuff like f-zero, mario kart, konami whatever seems to work fine. So did Road Rash.

The fork for OPEN_AGB_FIRM that has a save database and lets you adjust backlight is a pretty awesome alternative to injection, runs just as well and has better scaling. Lacking a few QoL features from VC but you can just pick from a list of roms without having to install stuff.

quixote

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"True" 3D games in general seem incompatible, such as Duke Nukem and Doom/II. Though "mode 7" stuff like f-zero, mario kart, konami whatever seems to work fine. So did Road Rash.

The fork for OPEN_AGB_FIRM that has a save database and lets you adjust backlight is a pretty awesome alternative to injection, runs just as well and has better scaling. Lacking a few QoL features from VC but you can just pick from a list of roms without having to install stuff.

Where can I find the fork you're talking about? Does it react more favorably than save_db_build4 to launching an unrecognized ROM like the patched FFVI mentioned in my original post?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)