GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
got it, installed it, reinstalled windows and it installed on E:\ which is gay, and ran the Lost Coast stress test, not even maxing out settings,
i got 114.06 FPS!!!
thats 114.06 more than I ever had! ginormous upgrade from Radeon X1300 Pro! NVIDIA FTW!

just thought I'd share that

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm glad for you dude.
Just got my new graphics card yesterday as well. I'm downl;oading portal right now
biggrin.gif

Lurick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congratulations ... that's the same card I've got! It serves exceptionally well for the most part. The only qualm I have is that I have a widescreen flatpanel monitor, and I also tend to play a lot of older games in which higher resolutions and widescreen aspect ratios are not options. Registry edits can fix the resolution issue, but aspect ratios are another matter. In other words, the video card and monitor stretches the image out to look all squashed and ooky, just to fit the display's native resolution.

Most modern video cards (including the 8800GT) have ways in which to preserve aspect ratio for older resolutions, but unfortunately, there's a major bug in nVidia's drivers, and that feature has been broken for going on two years now. If they'd fix that, I'd be 100% satisfied with it.

If that's not going to be an issue for you, I'd say that you're set.

Flozem

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
tsimehC said:
Do gfx cards need to be installed on your hard drive? I thought it was just a piece of card that processes graphical data.

got it, installed it, reinstalled windows and it installed on E:\

No, but Windows generally is...
rolleyes.gif

Sn4k3X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wow nice! 114 fps!
a year ago i switched from a pentium 3 1 ghz pc to a dual core 2,6 pc
with ati x1950 pro
and i was like WOW!!!
i can't even imagine how it would've been with the 8800gt man!

congratulations with your card
wink.gif

superkrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lurick said:
Congratulations ... that's the same card I've got! It serves exceptionally well for the most part. The only qualm I have is that I have a widescreen flatpanel monitor, and I also tend to play a lot of older games in which higher resolutions and widescreen aspect ratios are not options. Registry edits can fix the resolution issue, but aspect ratios are another matter. In other words, the video card and monitor stretches the image out to look all squashed and ooky, just to fit the display's native resolution.

Most modern video cards (including the 8800GT) have ways in which to preserve aspect ratio for older resolutions, but unfortunately, there's a major bug in nVidia's drivers, and that feature has been broken for going on two years now. If they'd fix that, I'd be 100% satisfied with it.

If that's not going to be an issue for you, I'd say that you're set.

i think ur setup is bugged.
I'm having no problems running games at 4:3 on my 16:10.
You might need to fiddle with settings a little bit. It took me awhile to get it right.

And

welcome to the club juggernaught

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
yay! I can play my Knight of the Old Republic (best RPG of all time!!!) now. X1300 would crash on low settings before I could take a step. 8800G plays max like nothing!

is there software I can use to view FPS?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
juggernaut911 said:
yay! I can play my Knight of the Old Republic (best RPG of all time!!!) now. X1300 would crash on low settings before I could take a step. 8800G plays max like nothing!

is there software I can use to view FPS?

Try FRAPS

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"Registered users please visit the Members Area for the full version"

Implies that download isn't the full version and paid customers use the full version and I've used it before and I think the full version isnt free.

Lurick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
superkrm said:
i think ur setup is bugged.
I'm having no problems running games at 4:3 on my 16:10.
You might need to fiddle with settings a little bit. It took me awhile to get it right.

And

welcome to the club juggernaught

No, it's a very well-documented issue, and it's a topic of raging debate over on nVidia's official forums. Rather, I think what's going on in your case is one of the only known work-arounds for the issue -- certain monitors have the capability to adjust scaling for aspect ratios on their own. The newer drivers have the "use my display's built-in scaling" option set by default (check in the nVidia control panel to see). If your monitor is capable of it, then this will resolve the issue.

Unfortunately, my Samsung Syncmaster relies on software scaling, so I'm a slave to whatever my video card can do. It's an excellent monitor otherwise, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...