Gaming got a pirated windows Copy.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows XP is no longer sold OR supported anyways, nobody really cares anymore. It's been *years* since anyone cared. But no, technically it is not legal to keep it.
XP is still supported but it is about to be unsupported in a couple of months.
more like a couple more years
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/springboard/archive/2011/07/11/with-only-1000-days-left-of-extended-support-don-t-you-think-it-s-time-to-retire-windows-xp.aspx

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I used to be a Windows pirate. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

There are various ways to get Windows either free or very cheaply for students. Then there are ways to get it at half price - all still perfectly legit. I paid £30 for one copy of Windows 7 from a student deal, and then another £65 for the pre-release edition. Now it's available for £72 on Amazon. You can also get a family licence (4 PCs iirc) which amounts to around £75 per PC. The reason why I stopped pirating Windows? Effort. Having a working disk, working serial key, and everything else, beats having to burn your own disk (usually with hidden bugs courtesy of cracking groups) then find a working WAP/WGA remover then keeping an eye on the updates that check for such things, etc... Too much effort.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You were offered a legit licence key via a PM yet you chose to remove the WGA. I don't get it.
I have loads of recovered licence keys from scrapped PCs and laptops. They come in handy.

I do not doubt you know what you are doing but those just wandering in do note the vast majority of bundled XP (and modern windows in general) is OEM derived and thus tied to the machine it came from (where and when that machine becomes a new machine is the subject of a fair bit of debate but an entirely different machine is way outside it) so "salvaging" for the purposes of transfer is a tricky game. Bogging down my Sunday afternoon pondering the...... nuances of MS licensing and reconciling it with law, case law, morality and otherwise is not something I care to do so I will leave it to others to read about/research/consider- a start http://www.theregist...tion_licensing/ .

As for pirating XP it is pretty easy to stay on top of things even the point of doing it for others but later versions are more annoying to do for anybody but yourself (kudos to MS I guess). As for removing WGA I tend to axe it from legit stuff if viable to do so thus sparing myself the potential headache (unlike most other areas of fixing machines I have no horror stories with regards to WGA but several annoyances).

"beats having to burn your own disk"
Would agree but I have to say nlite/vlite which tends to mean futzing around with such things anyway.

Back on topic if you already have a windows machine I would opt for a toy laptop running some form of linux or BSD- always nice to know how such systems work and you can also kick it for sensitive stuff (I have sorted several old laptops in recent years for stuff like online banking for people).

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does it matter? mostly everybody uses a pirated copy of windows.
This is not true.
I do.

I thought I deserved a free copy of Windows 7 after buying a machine that came with Vista.

Vista is pretty much identical to Win7 now. But it does have a different task bar lol.
Vista was only terrible if you had an older-made machine with drivers that didn't work. It was still a vast improvement over Xp if you had a system built for it. Still haven't gone back to it since Win 7 beta one though...

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not doubt you know what you are doing but those just wandering in do note the vast majority of bundled XP (and modern windows in general) is OEM derived and thus tied to the machine it came from (where and when that machine becomes a new machine is the subject of a fair bit of debate but an entirely different machine is way outside it) so "salvaging" for the purposes of transfer is a tricky game.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realise transferring an OEM licence was a breach of the licensing agreement. I bit naive really. I should have known that one.

iMinotauro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have used non legit copies of Windows 7 but I can't stand all the modification that they have done to it. I'm building my very first PC and I considering purchasing an OEM copy of Windows 7. However I constantly switch between Linux and Windows so I do clean install and the license would be tied down to hardware once. So I'm on the fence of whether to adjust to the modifications of a non legit version or just paying for a version that is legit and be extremely careful as to not break anything (tweak settings and such, I have broken installs for doing this before) in which case would cost me $100 dollars more.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I have used non legit copies of Windows 7 but I can't stand all the modification that they have done to it. I'm building my very first PC and I considering purchasing an OEM copy of Windows 7. However I constantly switch between Linux and Windows so I do clean install and the license would be tied down to hardware once. So I'm on the fence of whether to adjust to the modifications of a non legit version or just paying for a version that is legit and be extremely careful as to not break anything (tweak settings and such, I have broken installs for doing this before) in which case would cost me $100 dollars more.
Dual-boot. Install pirated W7. Remove WGA. Done. I have no idea what ur installing on your computer, but a clean install of W7 can be easily found. Heck why do you even have a modified one? And break install? Wut? If it doesnt install correctly, either install it again or get a friggin install thats clean? Why the fuck would you tweak with your computer if you have no idea what your doing and end up killing it? Overclocking seems like a no no for you.

Reactions: 1 person

iMinotauro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dual-boot. Install pirated W7. Remove WGA. Done. I have no idea what ur installing on your computer, but a clean install of W7 can be easily found. Heck why do you even have a modified one? And break install? Wut? If it doesnt install correctly, either install it again or get a friggin install thats clean? Why the fuck would you tweak with your computer if you have no idea what your doing and end up killing it? Overclocking seems like a no no for you.
I have dual-booted it just makes start up slow though, having to go through GRUB. Yeah I have found some that are "Clean" however it seems sketchy since its all version on a 3.49GB file...Just to clarify I have no problem installing on my computer, I tweak the registry to my liking and that is what breaks the install. Although I take steps to reverse the tweaks, I make backups but once the OS breaks I just get a black screen. This is why I like Linux because I can customize it how I like it. I don't overclock by the way. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Economy was better under Trump, according to Fox News.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I don't give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if your shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +3
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    A Far Right news service company
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if our shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +2
    @Veho, didn't need any news. Just going to the store and buying groceries is a constant reminder.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A reminder that all corporations reported record profits these last few years?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Reminded that every single price gouging law was blocked by republicans because "muh gubmint overreach"?
    Veho @ Veho: Reminded that every single price gouging law was blocked by republicans because "muh gubmint...