Hacking Got a old Xbox 360.. what to do with it?

darkomen64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a guy I work with was looking to sell it for $40 with a few games and 2 controller.. I’m a pc gamer but *shrug* I said I’d take it.. something to mess with.. he hadn’t used it in a long time so he hooked it up to make sure it still worked.. it didn’t and said it was RROD.. I offered him $10 for it and he took it.. I took it home and hooked it up and tried it.. it wasn’t RROD it was a bad av cable so I went and bought a composite cable for $10 and hooked it up and it worked.. so I shut it off took it apart to clean any dust bunnies out of it.. was some what dirty and I figured while I had it apart.. arctic silver 5.. anyways all back to gather and working I start looking at it.. he never used it on Xbox live.. he also didn’t ever get a hard drive for it (it’s a xenon arcade edition) anyways the dash board is old.. don’t know the exact version but I know it was jtag able.. I bought a cheap hard drive for it (got a 120gig for $13) and it all works

I don’t want to spend much on this thing as I’ll probably never really use it much... I would like to be able to use back ups from either the internal drive or a external oh and I have no intention of ever using Xbox live just local games and maybe streaming movies..

Thanks for any input

darkomen64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok.. jtag .. how exactly? lol i see there are methods that use LPT cables and cat 5 (NOT cat 6 why?) and some resistors and diodes.. some using something called a nand-x those look like that about $40-$60 another using a JRProgrammer? those seem to be $20-$40

and in the sticky here under jtag it simply says coming soon..

oh and BTW its running dashboard 2.0.6717.0

TheRealNGB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming a few things (that you don't plan on using apps like netflix, no soldering experience, and are okay with botching it) I would just go with whatever you find is the cheapest, and easiest solution, I'm also going to assume this will be your first time dealing with a modded 360 at all since your looking for tutorials, and asking questions here when there are plenty of easy to find places dedicated to the subject.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. Trim the white, green, and blue connectors off the nand connect wire. Don’t use QSB’s. Pads tend to lift if you have to remove them. Depending on what OS you have on your comp you may have to get Swizzy’s modified Win10 JR Programmer drivers also.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
LPT cables and cat 5 (NOT cat 6 why?) and some resistors and diodes. BTW its running dashboard 2.0.6717.0
1) Cat 6 have thicker wires, more resistance might be the reason why they recommend CAT 5.
2) Make sure the guides are somewhat up to date so you don't brick it.

darkomen64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. Trim the white, green, and blue connectors off the nand connect wire. Don’t use QSB’s. Pads tend to lift if you have to remove them. Depending on what OS you have on your comp you may have to get Swizzy’s modified Win10 JR Programmer drivers also.

yeah i'm using windows 10.. If i need to i could probably set up a computer with something else...

And just those 3 wires? I thought it needed all 7 hooked up kinda a pain to sift though guides.. more of them are for anything but the xenon motherboard...

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah just use the JR Pro driver Swizzy made in this link, dude does miracles sometimes.

https://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/4434-nand-x-drivers/

Now the 3 wires on those connectors aren't just 3 wires, their actually 7 tied into the 3 connectors. The connectors you won't use unless you use QSB's for your nand read/writing. But I suggest against using QSB's, as if you have to take them off because of a &%$# up you'll lift pads most likely. Cut the connectors off, and the diagram for soldering the wires is in JRunner.

darkomen64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah just use the JR Pro driver Swizzy made in this link, dude does miracles sometimes.

https://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/4434-nand-x-drivers/

Now the 3 wires on those connectors aren't just 3 wires, their actually 7 tied into the 3 connectors. The connectors you won't use unless you use QSB's for your nand read/writing. But I suggest against using QSB's, as if you have to take them off because of a &%$# up you'll lift pads most likely. Cut the connectors off, and the diagram for soldering the wires is in JRunner.

Ok gotcha I don’t mind soldering straight to the board I’m ok at soldering

Thanks for all the help btw

Reactions: brickmii82

darkomen64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK just to verify with that programmer i dont need the diodes or resisters they are built onto the programmer correct? just chop the 3 ends that dont plug into the programmer and solder those directly to the board and i'm good to go.. and you leave the programmer inside the xbox after your done so it still has the diodes and everything connected where it should be..

and the cable is the left one our of the 3 correct?
(https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71dwI+VM22L._SL1218_.jpg)

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The diodes for JTAG aren’t the ones on the LPT programming wires. You’ll still have to get some diodes and stuff for the procedure if you don’t get that Xecuter JTAG kit I linked. It’s a QSB but it might be worth the risk since you don’t have to put all of the JTAG connections together.

darkomen64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok now I gotcha..so that jr programmer doesn’t have everything I need I still need either the qsb or the diode and resister

Have to wait a bit longer then to get that stuff the jr programmer showed up today

darkomen64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
**update** Well i got all the stuff and sat down last nice and soldered it all in.. went to dump the nand.. did 4 backups and all the same.. so i then went and started the jtag tried to boot in too xell and error 79.. looked at all my solder points.. looked fine.. check with a multi meter.. 1 bad solder point... it was the jumped section.. i got all the other point solder just fine.. but he one thats literally just go from here to here wasnt good lol anyways a touch of the soldering iron and it was fixed.. patch the nand to reflash.. and windows updated the drivers away from the ones that worked with the jr-programmer.. so no longer could write to the nand *grrrr* but xell was installed so i installed from USB flash drive and all working now =) now i just have to go though and install dash boards and stuff.. i did test installing a game from disk and then playing it without the disc in the drive and worked great =)

Reactions: brickmii82

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CN7KP713/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slickdeals09-20&ascsubtag=23d6e13e...