Got a nice idea on games purchasing..

Discussion in 'Online Stores and Purchases' started by NoSnake221, Sep 8, 2019.

1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    It is always a risk. That said an extant copy being destroyed as part of the new burn, license agreement at the time of sale and all that other jazz would help dodge most of those worries.

2. Reynardine

Reynardine Wrote in ancient letters, my name is Reynardine

Aug 14, 2018
    Germany
    Negativland
    Reading through this thread reminds me that data preservation is a serious problem, one that only becomes more pressing as time moves on. Makes me shudder to think of all the games, source code, assets and also music, movies and whatnot we have already lost to bitrot or ill handled preservation measures.

Even unreleased games, prototypes and things like that waste away because people fail to make proper backups, whatever the reasons.

Heck, even the internet looses things regularly.

I wonder if glass or maybe bacteria as a backup medium is the future?

Sorry if I'm being off topic, this just came to my mind.

Last edited by Reynardine, Sep 9, 2019
    SpiffyJUNIOR likes this.
  3. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2016
    United States
    US
    Source code has been lost or never archived for many, many games. FF8 is one that comes to mind.

Reynardine likes this.
  4. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    There are probably lot of things that have been lost not because they were stored on media that rotted away, but because no one could be bothered to properly catalog and index the stuff for later retrieval – which requires both time and space. (The first thing that comes to mind is an add-on for Shadow Warrior discovered years after the game's release because someone found an old CD-R stuck in a drawer.)

Reynardine likes this.
  5. Samsung64
    This message by Samsung64 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Sep 13, 2019.
    Sep 12, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted