Homebrew Goomba or Lameboy?

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thebobevil said:
Do you have a Slot-2 device, at all?

If you do, they will play the roms without any need for an emulator ...
He said GBC. Even with a slot 2 you still need an emulator for gbc or gb.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jgu1994 said:
thebobevil said:
Do you have a Slot-2 device, at all?

If you do, they will play the roms without any need for an emulator ...
He said GBC. Even with a slot 2 you still need an emulator for gbc or gb.

Not with the Supecard Lite, and several others, you don't ... they natively play NES, GB/C, PCE, SMS, and others.

drock360

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Goomba is better, duh! Why do you think they call it Lameboy?!!

JK I use Lameboy and it has never had any problems. I have never used Goomba Color, but Lameboy is great!

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah sorry i have the 3 in 1... i dont have the funds for the m3 perfect lite haha.

lameboy seems to be the consensus

whats so great about goomba? i remember when it came out w/ the super gameboy update or whatever, people were raving about goomba

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
slot2 devices that play retro games are using the same emulators we are using to building compilations and flash to our cards. the software simply builds the comp for you and then flashes it over to your card. the m3 team confirmed this to me via email. if you check the package contents for the supercard lite it says "FC, NES, SNES, GB, GBC, PCE, SEGA-MS & GG systems support with emulators."

as for goomba, the goomba color fork is still actively updated by dwedit. dwedit made some nice advancements on pocketnes that were added to goomba color and have solved some speed issues. if you have a slot2 you should give it a try. goomba color supports gameboy, gameboy color and super gameboy roms.

it really doesn't do anything special, it just emulates those roms very well and has good support by the current author.
http://www.dwedit.org/gba/goombacolor.php

cheers,
-another world

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
slot2 devices that play retro games are using the same emulators we are using to building compilations and flash to our cards. the software simply builds the comp for you and then flashes it over to your card. the m3 team confirmed this to me via email. if you check the package contents for the supercard lite it says "FC, NES, SNES, GB, GBC, PCE, SEGA-MS & GG systems support with emulators."

as for goomba, the goomba color fork is still actively updated by dwedit. dwedit made some nice advancements on pocketnes that were added to goomba color and have solved some speed issues. if you have a slot2 you should give it a try. goomba color supports gameboy, gameboy color and super gameboy roms.

it really doesn't do anything special, it just emulates those roms very well and has good support by the current author.
http://www.dwedit.org/gba/goombacolor.php

cheers,
-another world

currently is lameboy still superior to goomba?

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't get it...If you've got the means then just Download them both and give them a try running the same, say...10 games. 5 GB and 5 GBC play each game for about 10 minutes and see which one works better. Then you can post here for everyones convenience, kapeesh?

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They're free - try them both! (that is, you have a Slot-1 flashcart and a Slot-2 flashcart)

I'm sure both of them play different games, well, differently.

One may play a game with glitchy graphic; the other may play a game with fucked up sound.
One may play not even load a game; the other may load it up, etc.

Really depends on the game you're trying to play, I'd say.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JPH said:
They're free - try them both! (that is, you have a Slot-1 flashcart and a Slot-2 flashcart)

One may play a game with glitchy graphic; the other may play a game with fucked up sound.

Best post in this thread. Between the two you can play almost the entire GBC library. Lameboy isn't the only one to receive substantial speedups in a recent release - the latest Goomba Color has a specific Speedhacks menu you can play with to get many games running at full speed or better (turn off Vsync to get rid of the 60 fps limit if you want to see how well the speedhacks work).

What sets Goomba Color apart at the moment in the way of Super Gameboy support is its ability to show both the Super Gameboy border and GBC colors for dual-mode games (black GBC cartridges). This includes games like Pokemon Pinball, Zelda DX, Azure Dreams, and others that can be run on both the SGB with special borders and the GBC with enhanced colors. Currently Lameboy can only show SGB borders when in regular 4-color mode.

Lameboy is easier to use and maintain save files with due to DLDI support, which gives it an advantage. The ability to zoom-in with the bilinear filtering is also nice, and it does have savestates (though they crashed my DS last time I tried them). Even still, it's worth giving Goomba Color a shot.

Both are excellent emulators and should be seriously considered.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
JPH said:

Best post in this thread. Between the two you can play almost the entire GBC library. Lameboy isn't the only one to receive substantial speedups in a recent release - the latest Goomba Color has a specific Speedhacks menu you can play with to get many games running at full speed or better (turn off Vsync to get rid of the 60 fps limit if you want to see how well the speedhacks work).

What sets Goomba Color apart at the moment in the way of Super Gameboy support is its ability to show both the Super Gameboy border and GBC colors for dual-mode games (black GBC cartridges). This includes games like Pokemon Pinball, Zelda DX, Azure Dreams, and others that can be run on both the SGB with special borders and the GBC with enhanced colors. Currently Lameboy can only show SGB borders when in regular 4-color mode.

Lameboy is easier to use and maintain save files with due to DLDI support, which gives it an advantage. The ability to zoom-in with the bilinear filtering is also nice, and it does have savestates (though they crashed my DS last time I tried them). Even still, it's worth giving Goomba Color a shot.

Both are excellent emulators and should be seriously considered.

kool thanks. great post

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, what's 401k?