Gaming Good RPGs for PSP?

mayhem366

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just wondered what good RPGs there are for the PSP,
I'm looking for something similar to Fable, you know the type, open world hack and slash. None of this turn based crap.

I tried monster hunter a while ago but never really got the hang of it to tell the truth.

Any suggestions?

Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
There's Crisis Core though you might not like it if you don't like FF games. It uses an ARPG combat system with random encounters.
If you like hack and slash then definitely Crisis Core.
Its a great game, check it out.

D

Deleted User

There are still a bunch of great Castlevania games for the GBA/PSP that you could look into as well. I don't think that there are many "Monster-Hunter" type games. You should look into emulation as well, Zelda the Oracle of Season/Ages come to mind as well as the Secret of Mana series.

I'm not really partial to Monster Hunter as it is because it felt like grinding for me. There are, however, a lot of good PS1 games that can be converted for play on the PS1 like Xenogears, Star Ocean Parasite Eve and Grandia. You might also consider giving "Half-Minute" Hero a try. Despite the fact that some of these may in fact be turn based, I personally feel stronger about RPG's with a good story.

ShinRyouma

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Phantasy Star Portable series,
Valhalla Knights series,
Ys series,
Monster Hunter series are great games, very addicting, you need to learn patiently, use the simplest weapon (sword & shield) first, then you can try other weapons.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
bik75 said:
Jamstruth said:
There's Crisis Core though you might not like it if you don't like FF games. It uses an ARPG combat system with random encounters.
>Crisis Core
>Great

rofl2.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mayhem366 said:
I'm looking for something similar to Fable, you know the type, open world hack and slash. None of this turn based crap.

I'm afraid the PSP will fail you here. There are an overabundance of really shitty turn-based/strategy RPG games available. For whatever reason, no developer has managed to turn out a halfway decent PSP RPG, unless it's been a port/update of a classic or a PS1 re-release. (See: Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, Final Fantasy 1/2/7/8, Grandia, Suikoden, etc.) Unfortunately for you, the cream of the crop of available RPGs still aren't open world hack/slash types. They're turn based JRPGs. I'm hoping that Mimana Lyar Chronicle and Hexyz Force re-invigorate the very stale genre on the PSP for me personally, but who knows.

About the only thing that suits what you're looking for is Crisis Core, and it's a pretty shitty game too. (Yes, I hear the crowd booing, tough titty says the kitty.)

gartlan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tales of Eternia is worth a look if you like Tales games (on second thoughts you probably don't as they are nothing like Fable).

Its not what you are looking for but for me the reason to own a PSP is for the three Legend of Heroes titles, the only way to play these unique Falcom titles in English, even though the translations are crappy.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mayhem366 said:

I tried monster hunter a while ago but never really got the hang of it to tell the truth.

Any suggestions?
I think you are looking for an action adventure game, not an RPG.

lilsypha said:
mayhem366 said:

port/update of a classic or a PS1 re-release. (See: Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, Final Fantasy 1/2/7/8, Grandia, Suikoden, etc.)
They released grandia for psp, damn, didn't realise.

QUOTE(vsevolod @ Apr 8 2010, 11:22 AM)
Jeanne d'Arc is awesome and an original IP (but definitely turn-based)
Original? Its a over 500 year old IP
closedeyes.gif

mayhem366

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, action adventure, RPG. Similar things, in my opinion, an RPG is any game where you assume the role of a character and level up in some way whether it be weapons and armor or with an actual point system.

As for monster hunter i think i didn't really like it 'cos it was a massive file size and took ages to load all the time (that was probably due to the Pandora's battery i was using at the time but still). Also there wasn't really much story, go out, kill a big monster, come back, go out to the same place, kill some more big monsters, come back. I assume that the world changed after a while but i never gave it that long.

I may give Diablo 1 (PSX Eboot) another try, had it before but didn't really like the controls compared to the PC version.

No need to emulate GBA really as that is what the DS is for right!? 'Cept my screen is a bit broke...

Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
8BitWalugi said:
bik75 said:
Jamstruth said:
>Crisis Core
>Great

rofl2.gif
Yes... Crisis Core is a great game...
Whats so funny?
Everyone has their own opinions.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You might like Star Ocean: First Departure and Second Evolution.

Both games uses random encounters with an ARPG-like battle system. There's also some other pretty neat features like item creation and pickpocketing npcs as well. The storylines are also pretty good, although they may come off as pretty cliche at first since they follow the formula of "save the universe from the bad guys who have god-like powers".

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bik75 said:
8BitWalugi said:
bik75 said:
Jamstruth said:
>Crisis Core
>Great

rofl2.gif
Yes... Crisis Core is a great game...
Whats so funny?
Everyone has their own opinions.

Yeah, Crisis Core is really fun, I don't know what his deal is. I'd still play it if I hadn't lost all my save data
wacko.gif

mayhem366

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah the classic, I've lost my save data and can't be fucked to do it all over again.
I got that with FF8, got half through the second disc i think and some program i ran fucked up the MS. Last backup i had was the end of the first disc..

johnblade

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It might not be the best RPG type game but Untold Legends Series. It's like a hack and slack type games with WRPG type storyline. They is 2 games from this series and it should be cheap right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass