Gaming Good RPG Game

VBKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Magical Star Sign is the best DS RPG.

On a seperate note, "RPG Game" is a redundancy. RPG stands for "Role Playing Game", so your question without the acronym would be, "Are there any good Role Playing Game Games? The extra "games" is unnecessary. "Are there any good RPGs?" is what you should say.

It's a pet peeve of mine. I must correct it when people say "RPG games."

S

scubersteve

Technically, almost every game is a "role playing game" because you're playing AS someone else.

Are you mario?
no.
Are you playing the role of mario?
yes.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

As for recommendations, I have one that isnt listed yet.
You will call me crazy, but...
LostMagic.
go play it.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I agree to everyone that says japan takes the best games themselves, even though they can make more money out of it in other countries.

Etrian Odyssey (is that how you spell it (.. ??)- many people thinks this was good.. but many parts that makes this game more less fun... such as- basic turn based fighting, without many battle effects. Quests are very complicated and you get quests that doesn't match the current stage. Such as: in the beginning, one of the first quest is to get this material that you can mine. And this mining comes out in... like after few days of gameplay. Some bosses are very hard, and you won't be able to beat the game without the cleric. Very good skill raising system, but overall gameplay,... sucks.

FF3- i'm a complete FF fan X_X so i do kind of recommend this game... but just as you said it, turn based fighting games get boring in a while. Because you later meet enemies that dies in 1 hit, enemies that does so much damage, and the before/after battle scenes... takes too long. Too much enemy encounters ... But excellent graphics.

FF12- not much of an RPG, with a little bit of RTS mixed in it. Very good graphics with cut scenes, but your guys walk too slow and overall i'll say everything takes EXTRA long.

Magical starsign- not knowing the age of you, i really can say... this doesn't fit much people over a certain age. In my opinion (do not say anything about my opinionsT^T) this game looks very childish, and seems less interesting than... Lunar knights.

and because i mentioned it, Lunar knights- Was OK, but lacks in many parts. Balance was not very good, because in bosses, all you have to do is use your T gauge, and just keep absorbing HP and you will win. But monsters just suddenly gets stronger, so you have to invest your time killing many enemies. Items... rot if you keep them too long (which is very gay) and the english dub sucks. But interesting in the beginning with good cutscenes. But kind of childish.

And also like the other post here, the one person said that even mario games can be RPG because you are not mario but you take the role of mario. So basically that means any games where there is a controlable character can be an RPG. If you look at it in that way, RPG is a VERY broad branch of gaming. So if you can explain a little bit more, I can list few games. But instead of turn based games, I LOVE real time, because you move around and fight with the actions, where you don't just wait for your character to get hit like a dummy after you used a skill
smile.gif
They tend to have more actions, and even though there are less skills than turn based games (where you don't use 60% of the skills anyways) you will still be loving all the actions and the extra stuff that real time games have.

Now let me list some good ones.

Tales of innocence
- like many action games, this has a combo system, very good graphics, many skills, 6 characters where you can control 3 of them in a battle at once, and many more. You can say that the gameplay can be short, but will be interesting in a while.

Dungeon Explorer
- I liked the graphics and the gamestyle kind of fit me. Lacks for an RPG and many things just --- ack i can't remember the word.;;; well ?? in korean... try google translating--- but fit my style. (for a while...)

Legend of zelda phantom hourglass
- a complete touchscreen action, but if you want to play it like the original zelda, there was a patch that changed it so it would be similar to the other zelda games. Just like the others, (and do not brag, or lie.) 90% impossible without a walkthrough !!! (i had many troubles figuring out stuff in oracle of seasons in the poison moth lair, almost beat oracles of ages by myself but failed, majora's mask... was discontinued... and even 4 swords... required a walkthrough)

hmmmmmm... i can't think of much more rpgs... well i do can say i did enjoy luminous arc
with the ff tactics style... but is turn based stategy, not rpg so.... well i think that's it...

fateastray

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Phantom Hourglass is very much doable without a walkthrough.

Don't use the word 'gay' for 'stupid', it's childish, stupid, underdeveloped and homophobic.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was recently brought to my attention that I don't know what a good "RPG game" (I like to frustrate people who have pet peeves) is, but I can tell you which ones I like...

Final Fantasy III -- Classic RPG style. It's like playing D&D without the graph paper and bag of many sided dice.
Pokemon Diamond / Pearl -- Also has a very traditional RPG play style, and there are endless side things to do. Cute graphics, great sense of humor, just all around fun.
Dragon Quest Monsters - Joker -- Yet another classic-style battle system, tons of customization, and endless collection and mutation.

There are a handful of other RPG / RPG-like games I've enjoyed, but those aforementioned three represent my favorites on the DS. Some folks contend that an RPG is all about story. I guess I could read a book for that. Growing up, however, RPGs were all about character development, customization and exploration. I guess everyone gets to paint the world with the colors they enjoy. Those are some of the "RPG games" I had fun with.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, which is a Paper Mario-style RPG.

There may be some good GBA RPGs you didn't play. The Swordcraft Story games are all really good. Mazes of Fate is a fun Eye of the Beholder-style dungeon crawler. Sigma Star Saga is an RPG-space-scrolling-shooter (yes). Riviera - the Promised Land is an RPG with a fairly original system.

Also, don't forget that you can emulate NES games on the DS. Radia War emulates well in NES DS, although you'll need that translation patch. It's an RPG similar to some of the Tales games in many ways. 100 World Story is a randomly-generated RPG boardgame that you can play with your friends by passing the DS around... it's hard to describe, but fun. Both of those are as good or better than anything you'll find on the DS itself.

EDIT: Almost forgot, don't forget Powder.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country

Clxmj

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As for recommendations, I have one that isnt listed yet.
You will call me crazy, but...
LostMagic.
go play it.

If you can use an AR cheat to stop the timer going, this is probs then the best RTS-RPGs on the DS, worst part about it is the timer. Try Castlevania's Aria of Sorrow (GBA) and Dawn of Sorrow (DS). They're both excellent games, well worth your time and effort.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, krustday krab