Good Drawing Programs

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Skelletonike, Dec 8, 2011.

Dec 8, 2011

Good Drawing Programs by Skelletonike at 10:55 PM (382 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Skelletonike
    OP

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    So, I was kinda confused where to post this, either here or in the Art thingy, but since it has to do with computers, I decided to post it here... Anyways, I got a graphics tablet and although I didn't get it for this purpouse, since I got it, I might as well draw with it... So... Do you know of any good programs for the drawing? I'm not saying Photoshop tho, since I think PS is better for colouring but not drawing... Anyways... Any good programs?

So far these are the ones I know:

Paint.NET
    Paint Tool SAI
    Gimp

And other smaller programs which I've forgotten their names... Anyways... Which do you think that's better just for drawing?

2. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    but photoshop is great for drawing.

outside photoshop i mostly use sketchbook pro. it has a good feel for dry medias.
    for something more painterly, Artrage is really good.

corel painter is alright, i find it cumbersome and outdated, but it's good for some paint features.

Zbrush's Paintstop simulates some medias really well, specially charcoals, pastels and soft pencils. it's also fun to play with the pixol brushes tho it's not the central aspect of the software anymore.

but i always end up going back to photoshop since it's the most versatile, except when i want to do something more simulative i go to artrage. and sketchbook for quick pencil sketching.

3. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    The same for Gimp.. It is very familiar to photoshop and best of all.. Its free.. Google is your friend and you can check between photoshop and gimp. Very useful information there for both. :)

4. Skelletonike
    OP

Portugal
    I can't use gimp at all... It always pisses me off...

5. nando

United States
    what kind of drawing do you wanna do anyway? i've used a ton of programs professional and a lot depends on what you are trying to achieve.

6. Skelletonike
    OP

Portugal
    Well, I bought it mostly for web designing classes... But the kind of drawing I want the prog for is for simple drawings like monsters, anime chars, etc, etc... Normal random drawings. =O

7. nando

United States
    well, if you are gonna attempt clean ink line drawings like some anime, you might want use vectors, in which case illustrator does a pretty good job, something more specific like Manga Studio would be more flexible.

there is a version of sketchbook pro that allows for vector drawing. it's pretty cool. i don't use it much because it introduces a bit of lag at times.

i just mention those above because i always see new artist attempting to do free-hand inked drawings on the computer and it's not easy. depends how steady your hand is.

8. Skelletonike
    OP

Portugal
    Lol, I don't really care about the colouring tbh, and what do you mean with 'free hand'? Didn't really get that term. >.<
    When I do use colouring for something tho, I always prefer a simple colouring, I don't like colouring that has too many details...
    Here's an example, it's a pic Luffy (prolly from the anime I think, but it shows the kind of colouring I prefer:

[​IMG]

I dont like things with too many details like many different tones and stuff, too troublesome and not so pretty.

9. nando

United States
    with free-hand i mean drawing a line or shape with a steady hand versus using CAD. that's why i asked what kind of drawings you were doing. a lot of people try to do anime, which has lots of smooth shapes and lines and they usually come out sloppy. for that type of drawing, CAD like illustrator is more desirable because you can manipulate your drawing with anchor points - so that would be computer assisted as oppose to free hand.

sketchbook pro has a hybrid cad system that lets you draw natural looking strokes like pencil but can be manipulated with anchor points.

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It does sound like vector would be something for you to look into.
    http://www.graphicsgirl.co.uk/2009/08/an-introduction-to-vector-art/
    If you've ever seen flash anime stuff, that's most often vector (as it's native in flash).