Going online without upgrading? (3DS XL 4.2)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Pedro Guzman, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Pedro Guzman
    OP

Pedro Guzman Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2014
    Venezuela
    Just got a 3DS XL that came with system 4.2. I would like to get a Gateway but first I would like to be a little bit more sure about the bricking issue. But also I would like to go online (browser, youtube, using the store). Is there a way I can go online without updating the system? As soon as I try to go online the apps ask me to upgrade and close. I have a regular R4 from another system (a 3DS).

Thanks a lot.

2. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    This should be asked here. Do some research before making a thread, Emunand is a key word that I'm sure you'll enjoy.

As for the risk of bricking, I advise using 2.0b1 until this shitstorm blows over. It may not work as well, or allow you to use many of the Online features you're talking about, but it's better than putting any risk toward destroying your console.

3. Drenn

Drenn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 22, 2013
    Canada
    For normal online usage, it will pester you to update, once a day... but it won't force you.

The exception is the eshop, which requires an update.

4. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    You can install 2.0b2 and do emunand. I don't think eshop works with emunand on 2.0b1

5. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    2.0b2 is not recommended for use right now because of the bricking.

Huntereb likes this.
  6. redkeyboard

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    lol damn, can't believe I forgot to mention that.

7. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

I'd think that would have been the first thing you would have thought about considering it is the only thing that's talked about in these forums now. :rolleyes:

8. redkeyboard

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    I must have just assumed the whole world knows about it by now for reasons you just mentioned.

Huntereb likes this.
  9. Pedro Guzman
    OP

Pedro Guzman Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2014
    Venezuela
    Great... Sorry about the noobiness, new with this... The other question should be, if I install Emunand and suppose I install apps from the store, like youtube, if I take the R4 out and play another game, when I restart the console will be recognized as system 4.2 and all that. All those apps downloaded can't be used? They won't be messed up?

Cheers

10. spinner09

spinner09 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    EmuNAND is stored on the SD card in your 3ds (not the flashcart). As long as the sd card remains, your system will boot the emuNAND when you turn it on.

11. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

Most newer ones (Like Youtube, which doesn't work on Emunand anyway due to a new encryption method) won't work on 4.5 because they were compiled using a newer SDK that is only supported by newer 3DS firmwares. If you try to start them on your sysnand, they may delete themselves, so it's best to just use them on Emunand.