Hacking Getting Started with the M3?

Rangent

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't personally tried playing gba games as of yet so I don't have a "I tried it so etc etc" answer.  But from what I've heard, fat16 in 64k cluster size will run your gba games fine, only difference is that you may have to use start instead of A to launch the games.  But it will work just fine, lakersfan earlier confirmed this and many others are confirming it on m3-forums as well.  It's just that you may have a longer loading (a couple more seconds) when starting the gba game with start instead of A.  This does not affect the actual gameplay @ all, just startup.  And to IZA, the increase in speed is for DS games, on gba games it makes no difference.
Whats the difference between starting with 'start' and 'a'? I know it's "demo" vs. "game", but what is the technical difference?

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I just got a M3 Lite and have a couple of quick questions that I can't seem to find answers to. First, where do I install DS and GBA games? Do they just get transferred to the root of the SD card or do I need to make folders? Also, do I need to manually create the NDSSAVE folder? Any other directories I need to create?

Thanks!
You should use the M3 Game Manager:
http://www.m3adapter.com/Download.htm

It will patch the roms and generate the folders and saves you need automatically.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't personally tried playing gba games as of yet so I don't have a "I tried it so etc etc" answer. But from what I've heard, fat16 in 64k cluster size will run your gba games fine, only difference is that you may have to use start instead of A to launch the games. But it will work just fine, lakersfan earlier confirmed this and many others are confirming it on m3-forums as well. It's just that you may have a longer loading (a couple more seconds) when starting the gba game with start instead of A. This does not affect the actual gameplay @ all, just startup. And to IZA, the increase in speed is for DS games, on gba games it makes no difference.

Whats the difference between starting with 'start' and 'a'? I know it's "demo" vs. "game", but what is the technical difference?

hitting start adds a certain loading header to the game automatically, that's all it does.

xDRONEx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, GBA games freeze up on fat 16 [64 k] unless you hit START to start/load the game.

Also watch out for lame roms by Mode7 with the INTROs... it froze up the system for me even if I ran the game with start. So I had to get a program to cut the intro, and then write the rom [now without the intro] to the system.

xDRONEx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I just got a M3 Lite and have a couple of quick questions that I can't seem to find answers to. First, where do I install DS and GBA games? Do they just get transferred to the root of the SD card or do I need to make folders? Also, do I need to manually create the NDSSAVE folder? Any other directories I need to create?"

Like someone said before, install the M3 Game manager. You COULD make a folder for the NDS roms - or just flash them to the root of the card - I don't think it makes any difference, so its up to you. I would just flash it to the root myself though.

The NDSSAVE [for NDS games] and GAMSAVE or whatever [for GBA games] are automatically created by the M3 Game manager the moment you write a nintendo ds or gameboy advance rom to your card I believe - thats what it did for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker