Getting ready to replace speaker ribbon connector --any advice?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by aaronz77, Dec 18, 2015.

1. aaronz77
    OP

aaronz77 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2011
    United States
    USA
    So my son's 3ds XL decided it only likes to function at certain angles or else i get the "pop" sound and immediate black screen. Just ordered a Speaker ribbon wire from ebay for approx $10. Is there any good tutorial for changing this? I've checked youtube and haven't seen anything specific for the 3ds XL. only the small original 3ds. Are they similar as far as internals go?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts. and prayers.. lol

2. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
  3. syfyTy

syfyTy PhD in Thaumaturgy

Apr 11, 2011
    United States
    Tazmily, USA
    yes have tiny fingers and great dexterity. seriously. I took all previous models apart and restored them but this Old 3ds, pitting those ribbon cables back in place (with Diabetic Neurapathy / no tactile finger sensation in either hand) and failing eyesight; makes finishing this project near impossible.

4. rip-it-up

rip-it-up GBAtemp Regular

Oct 19, 2009
    manchester
    Xl is slighty easier due to size compare to the standard 3ds.
    speaker cable is the first cable you put threw the hinge, (rolled it up with tweezers)
    the camera is next. But i would do the camera and screen together as the natural curl in the flex cable is already made which makes life alot easier.
    Dont forget the metal o ring once you have done it
    will become clearer once you have dissassembled it

SmileCitrus likes this.