Getting a laptop soon.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Scathraax, Aug 15, 2008.

Aug 15, 2008

Getting a laptop soon. by Scathraax at 6:40 PM (1,037 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Scathraax
    OP

Member Scathraax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    With school coming up next week, and me having a job.. It's finally time for me to get myself a laptop.
    I've decided on the MSI Wind, mainly for it's small form factor, since I'll be taking it everywhere with me.

Now, I have a few other items I'd like to purchase along with it.

RAM* (Upgrading from 1GB to 2GB)
    Bigger HDD**
    Logitech bluetooth mouse
    S-Video to RCA converter cable (For use at school/friends', mostly for watching movies on a nice big television [​IMG])
    Laptop carrying case/new backpack with laptop section

I'll be using this away from home a lot, but these few items seem like enough. Anything else recommended by those who travel with their laptop often?

* - There's a good chance I'll upgrade the RAM
    ** - I have no access to an external CD drive, so I might not have a way to get the HDD formatted if I were to purchase/install it in the Wind

2. BiscuitBee

Member BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Canada
    How about a USB 10-key add-on? I guess that depends on what you are doing, of course.

Personally, I hate the Fn-mode 10-key on most laptops [​IMG]

EDIT: And, if it matters, a privacy screen so passers-by and slanty-necks can't peak at what you are doing.

3. Scathraax
    OP

United States
    The Fn-mode doesn't bother me much, really.
    But the privacy screen doesn't sound like a bad idea.

4. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Could you link some shop with that computer? I'm curious about it.

5. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I heard upgrading the RAM for the Wind voids the warranty.

6. Scathraax
    OP

United States
    I've read the same.. and while I hate to void warranties, the extra RAM would be pretty nice.
    This upgrade is still up in the air.

7. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I used to have one of the shoulderbag-style protective laptop cases and found it a nightmare to carry; those things are damn heavy even before you put the laptop in! Go with the backpack. Also it's less obvious that you're carrying a laptop [​IMG]

8. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Yes, Psyfira is 100% right about that.

That laptop seems nice, tiny, I don't think you'll be using it for playing very high standard games so I suggest you save the RAM ampliation. 1GB is pretty much actually.

I saw in England however some laptops looking nicer than that, more solid and with a better design (kind of like dell inspirons, just smaller) that weren't very pricey and had same specs as that one... shame I didn't get the brand cause I wasn't going to get one anyway, but I'd have loved to have one of those. Also I think they had some built in DVD reading device.

9. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Don't purchase the MSI wind yet.

Right now it's in high demand due to battery shortages. Wait for the 6-cell battery version to be released (5.5 hours of battery life vs 2.5 hours for the 3-cell you linked to).

If you need to format or install an OS on a new hard drive, I'd get one of these (it will also let you recycle your old HD as a portable backup source... and if you buy two, you can clone your hard drives so you don't have to deal with drivers on your new HD.)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7296

10. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    It will be a considerable while after the 6-cell units are shipped (god knows when) that demand will start dropping.

You're better off buying the laptop itself asap, and picking up a larger battery later on.

11. Linkiboy

United States
    I guess that's true, his school is next week...

Except the 6-cell to be really expensive...

12. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If you're pondering the 6-cell Wind, you might as well get the EEE 1000H. Priced similarly (lower in fact, I think for the 6-cell variant), similar specs, but has wireless N (not a deal breaker I know). Plus, I believe the RAM is upgradable without warranty violation. Oh, and it's available now.

13. Linkiboy

United States
    6-cell MSI Wind is 499$, 3-cell is 479$, Linux 3-cell is 399$... just most places are gouging the price right now.