Getting a 3DS XL, but...

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by the_randomizer, Aug 7, 2013.

1. the_randomizer
    OP

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    One question remains - Are the game saves stored on the game cards, or the SD card? I only ask because an employee at Gamestop told me that they're on the SD card. But there's something wrong about that, that can't be right; when I bought Ocarina of Time used, there was the last owner's save on there, thus negating what the employee told me.

So now I'm conflicted, because the only thing I wish to keep are the game saves, the other files on my SD card are only MP3s, and I have no downloaded games or anyone added to my friends list (on the Wii U, I do), so I don't need a system transfer, just so set the record straight. Was I being lied to? Should I just trade it in for a 3DS XL and screw the system transfer? With all I can trade in, I'd only pay an $80 difference for a 3DS XL.

2. Aman27deep

Aman27deep GBAtemp Fan

May 3, 2007
    India
    Calcutta.
    Game carts iirc.

the_randomizer likes this.
  3. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I get the impression the dude I spoke with was either lied to or he misheard about how it's stored :P

4. Saturosias

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    Game carts contain the save on themselves, unless you use the 3DS backup tool to transfer cartridge -> digital, then use the official save backup tool.

5. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I never used that tool to be honest, so they should all be on the carts I used. The only thing I'll really lose is the Mii (or whatever the 3DS avatar thing is called) no real loss. But I should probably format my SD card as it has music on it. Ugh, should have gotten an XL in the first place, but better now than never ;)

6. Saturosias

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    If they'll let you do it in-store (provided you do both transactions at once), you can do a 3DS->3DS transfer of the Mii in a few seconds.

7. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

They told me I'd have to go back and forth (two trips), first come home and transfer, then come back with the XL and get the money back after I give the 3DS up; don't really want to make two trips, and I can always make a new Mii, so no big loss IMHO ;) Don't know why I can't transfer there.

I hope I didn't sound rude at all :( I just don't think it's worth the transfer for the Mii is all. Nothing else of value's on the card aside from MP3s; just care about the saves is all.

8. Saturosias

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    All they'd give you is in-store credit anyway, just a ruse to get you to give more money :P oh well, I guess it is just a Mii, after all.

9. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I know, just don't like making extra trips is all. It's all good, and I think the trade off is worth it for a system with a bigger screen. Now I no longer have to squint ROFL. I can't believe he told me the game saves are on the SD card :rofl2:

Do you guys think it's worth the trade?

10. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Random question, is it true that you can't hot-swap 3DS games after you close the game but while in the system menu?

11. Gabelvampir

Gabelvampir Free Mars!

Mar 17, 2009
    Gambia, The
    K-Town
    Well if you take out the cartridge when the game is only suspended not fully closed, then you get a black screen with a message that the game cart was taken out. You only option then is to press home to get back to the system menu (which takes so long I assume the system does some soft reset), or turn of the 3DS. But I don't see how this affects anything except attempts to hack the system maybe.

12. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Okay, so only change it if I'm in the system menu and if the game's closed. Got it :P

13. Gabelvampir

Gabelvampir Free Mars!

Mar 17, 2009
    Gambia, The
    K-Town
    Yeah its a bit quicker this way.

14. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States