genesis emulation crazy uneducated idea

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by drag0nzord, Mar 31, 2010.

Mar 31, 2010
  1. drag0nzord
    OP

Newcomer drag0nzord Advanced Member

United States
    i saw that it was possible to extract the roms from sonic classic collection and run them in a genesis emulator on the PC.

anyway we insert roms into it to replace the soinc ones for a full speed genesis emulator?

prob would be uber buggy and illegal even if it did work

but meh, i was just thinkin about it.

2. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    JenesisDS is actually much faster than Classics Collection. There wouldn't be any sound either, the music/sound effects for the game are held in separate sound files. Wouldn't work properly and is not worth it.

3. SgtThom

Member SgtThom GBAtemp Regular

United States

I notice that Sonic Classics Collection run a bit slow than the emulator...

4. drag0nzord
    OP

Newcomer drag0nzord Advanced Member

United States
    yeah but a slow rpg like phantasy star II would run just fine in it.

so then instead of having a sonic classic collection which is full screened you have phantasy star collection. although that would be pointless because they made that for the GBA. so im just waiting for supercard dstwo

5. GWEndlessDuel

Banned GWEndlessDuel Banned

United States
    Sonic Classic Collection runs like shit and a half to begin with. I can't believe they released the product like that.

6. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    To clarify, there are three main issues with trying to hack out the emulator in SCC-

1- they disabled ALL sound emulation in the port. Any music or sound effects you're hearing ingame are actually held in separate audio files that are being directly streamed by the DS (i've looked at a decompressed rom myself). It's the main reason why the game is so large (64MB) even though the original Sonic games never went over 3-4MB. The sound samples and music files are taking up large amounts of space. Suffice to say, they aren't using the Genesis sound hardware to output the sound like JenesisDS is. If you managed to insert another Genesis game into the collection to play, you wouldn't hear any sound since the collection isn't programmed to output sound unless it can read it from those files (and you'd have to hack, convert, and extract/insert your own music to hear anything). It should be noted that someone did manage to rip the roms out of the collection and run it on a PC emulator and they still had their original sound, but the DS collection can't play those samples. So it's useless regardless.

2- the roms in the collection were hacked in a minor way just to scale the graphics and fit the ring counter/timer/score. When you play them in a pc emulator, the graphics look a bit messed up. If you inserted a rom, you wouldn't automatically get better scaling than the JenesisDS emulator. You'd have to hack the roms themselves to be scaled properly.

3- SCC is indeed slower than JenesisDS. Playing Sonic 3 or Knuckles is very laggy unless you play without a second character onscreen. Still laggy though regardless. JenesisDS can achieve constant fullspeed in all the Sonic games. The glitches are rare and never really disturb you except the Lava Reef boss in S&K (and that's still manageable).

I would stick with JenesisDS. The sound may be slightly off and the games might have more glitches, but the games are far faster and don't lag much at all. If i had to pick, i'd just stick with JenesisDS. Too much speed was compromised in the port, and you wouldn't get any sound anyways.