Homebrew Geexbox 0.1alpha8 released

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
@rastula : subtitle font, it's character set and all configurable... I had similar problem with Turkish letters in subtitles not shown... made the subtitle's encoding utf-8 and configured the geexbox to suit this... now it displays the subtitles correctly..

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd say the biggest advantage of Geexbox is that it doesn't randomly freeze like MPlayer. That's what makes me return to Geexbox sometimes when it happens.

If the Geexbox team would make the Wiimote disconnect after some time, I wouldn't even consider MPlayer anymore.

rastula

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
rashef said:
rastula said:
what makes GeexBox worse

no dvd support ( can live without it)
geexBox does not show local letters for polish subtitles like ?????? etc ( big drawback)
Actually... it does. You just need to convert the subtitle file to the correct character encoding type. G?eg?ó?ka XP is your friend for this operation.
And DVD function is broken in mplayer if you've updated dvdx to v2 ;p.

Hello countryman
smile.gif

1) And what is "correct character encoding type" for playing polish subs in Geexbox?

2) dvd playback works fine with my mplayer, but thanks fot the tip (not to update) anyway
smile.gif

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
The default is iso-8859-2 i think, tho i'd go with what WiiCazy wrote and change the setting to Utf-8.
I hope you're tech savvy enough to edit the config files on SD card on your own ;].

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
SpaceJump said:
Master Mo said:
But like I said before, I think GeeXBox fits my needs better at the moment (even though I usually just play.avi so compatibility doesn`t matter
tongue.gif
)
Just curious, what is it that Geexbox does so that it fits your needs better?
Hmm, I`ve used GeeXBox from the very beginning and til MPlayer does something better than GeeXBOx I will remain faithful to it. (I really don`t notice the battery-draining... I still play around 10 hour with one pair of battaries!)

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Master Mo said:
SpaceJump said:
Master Mo said:
But like I said before, I think GeeXBox fits my needs better at the moment (even though I usually just play.avi so compatibility doesn`t matter
tongue.gif
)
Hmm, I`ve used GeeXBox from the very beginning and til MPlayer does something better than GeeXBOx I will remain faithful to it. (I really don`t notice the battery-draining... I still play around 10 hour with one pair of battaries!)
And my batteries last at least 20 hours (if not longer) since I use MPlayer
wink2.gif

Justin121994

Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
Master Mo said:
SpaceJump said:
Master Mo said:
tongue.gif
)
wink2.gif
Just buy the rechargeable batteries and who cares.....

loony747

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Question:

Am I the only one Geexbox isn't stable for? Sometimes it won't read my HDD, and sometimes it won't start at all. Is this a known problem, is there something I could do to make it stable?
unsure.gif

This all started happening after the latest HBC update.

Although I like it better than MPCE because it recognizes all my partitions.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thought this project was a goner, been so long since an update came out.
Glad to see it's still alive.
Loving the multimedia functions on my Wii nowadays, just awesome!

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
Master Mo said:
SpaceJump said:
Master Mo said:
tongue.gif
)
wink2.gif
And my batteries last at least 20 months (if not longer) since I use MPlayer
wink2.gif

This cock comparison is bit pointless, if you just use the wiimote to start the movies it will last months, if you skip trhough your files the whole times it will drain faster as with Geexbox.

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Master Mo said:
SpaceJump said:
Master Mo said:
tongue.gif
)
10 hours is hardly anything. Play 1 hour a day then you're changing them every week and a half. That's pretty bad. Back on the subject though I have both mplayer ce and geexbox but prefer mplayer ce's controls. I mainly watch downloaded TV shows and DVDs.

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just updated to the alpha8 release to try it out and now I can't connect my Wii remote when Geexbox starts up. I have waited for it to fully boot before pressing a button on the remote. Holding the reset button quits geexbox and returns to the HBC where I can reconnect there. I had alpha7 and it worked fine but I haven't used it since 4.1u. Anyone else with the same problem or a possible fix?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
mousex said:
SpaceJump said:
Master Mo said:
SpaceJump said:
Master Mo said:
tongue.gif
)
wink2.gif
And my batteries last at least 20 months (if not longer) since I use MPlayer
wink2.gif

This cock comparison is bit pointless, if you just use the wiimote to start the movies it will last months, if you skip trhough your files the whole times it will drain faster as with Geexbox.
Well, that's the whole beauty of MPlayer's Wiimote disconnecting, you say it yourself
rolleyes.gif

If you watch a 2 hours movie with MPlayer, the batteries are drained for like 1 minute. If you watch the same movie with Geexbox, it drains the batteries for 2 hours. Simple as that...

Don't get me wrong cause as I said before I still think as player Geexbox is better cause it runs more stable, but I hate how it drains the batteries.

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
i prefer mplayer_ce personally. runs nice and stable, and the biggest plus is playing via smb, as i dont see the point in having to copy media thats already on my main pc to another harddrive/disc, then playing it on the wii, then deleting it off again later.

mplayer_ce just go to file --> smb --> tv/movies/music and play. simple
smile.gif

if geexbox had an smb option, i would definitely consider it, as its what i used to use back in the day.

duplo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
0M39A said:
i prefer mplayer_ce personally. runs nice and stable, and the biggest plus is playing via smb, as i dont see the point in having to copy media thats already on my main pc to another harddrive/disc, then playing it on the wii, then deleting it off again later.

mplayer_ce just go to file --> smb --> tv/movies/music and play. simple
smile.gif

if geexbox had an smb option, i would definitely consider it, as its what i used to use back in the day.

Geexbox has SMB (no WiFi though), you can actually browse though your SMB shares directly from the Wii without editing any files. It supports uPnP and FTP aswell. So, as you said, no need for USB functionallity really. Besides of that it's more stable than mplayer_ce and i think the image quality when wathing movies is better too.
wub.gif

To people with weak batteries: Turn off the wiimote manually by pressing its power button.

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
EeZeEpEe said:
Just updated to the alpha8 release to try it out and now I can't connect my Wii remote when Geexbox starts up. I have waited for it to fully boot before pressing a button on the remote. Holding the reset button quits geexbox and returns to the HBC where I can reconnect there. I had alpha7 and it worked fine but I haven't used it since 4.1u. Anyone else with the same problem or a possible fix?
I guess no one else has had this happen. I'll try reinstalling then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i just worked out and i'm feeling great