GCW Zero Receives GPU Support

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Another World, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Another World
    OP

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???

The GCW Zero launched without GPU drivers. Initially the system was limited to 2D games or software rasterizing. Thanks to the efforts of Wladimir J. van der Laan the open source project etna_viv has been added into the latest firmware update. Thanks to this WIP driver the Vivante GC860 GPU core is now available to software developers. GCW Zero owners can now expect things such as Quake, Quake II, Quake 3 Arena, Descent 2, and Hurrican. Bugs can be submitted via the link below.

:arrow: Report Bugs
    :arrow: Technical Breakdown of the Etnaviv Status
    :arrow: Source
    :download: Download

2. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Wow, this handled looks better and better, I'm definitely considering getting one in the near future.

3. BowlOfSpiders

BowlOfSpiders hi

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    United States
    I've considered buying one of these for quite some time now. The only thing preventing me was the screen resolution. How does the screen look in real life? I know it would be ok for older video games. I'm just not sure if the screen would affect 3D gaming on the device. Will the GPU also have an effect on retro emulation? (GBA, SNES, etc.)

4. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    I have a GCW Zero and the screen is very nice, sharp and vibrant.
    The 320x240 resolution screen is slightly larger than the 3DS touchscreen and the same resolution, it looks very nice for retro games that fit into that scale.

There's a chance that the GPU support could boost emulation a bit, as long as the emulators are compiled to take advantage of it. It might aid in things like transparency in SNES emulation, possibly.

BowlOfSpiders likes this.
  5. qwertyuiopasdfghjkl
    This message by qwertyuiopasdfghjkl has been removed from public view by Costello, Sep 26, 2013.
    Sep 26, 2013