GCW Zero, OpenDingux Update Released

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Another World
    OP

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    progress.png

GCW Zero gaming handhelds have started to ship to pre-order customers. These units, known as Special Edition (SE), are out in the wild and starting to receive some testing from their owners. The GCW Development Team has been hard at work on supporting both the SE unit and the Kickstarter (KS) units, the latter of which should be on sale soon. Full instructions on how to apply the update can be found via the link below. If you own a GCW Zero, please let us know what you think of it so far.

:arrow: GCW Zero Firmware Update

2. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    I'm still waiting on my own Kickstarter unit personally, it may be a while yet since US orders seem to have a priority over EU orders, as well as some unforeseen delays.

I'd be very surprised if anyone on GBAtemp actually has a GCW Zero yet, but hopefully in the coming months the system's availability will be wider.

3. popinadam

popinadam Advanced Member

Sep 25, 2006
    United States
    California
    Then prepare yourself to be surprised...

4. RupeeClock

May 15, 2008
    Well fancy that, you actually have a GCW Zero already?
    How is it, and is it a special edition unit?

5. Prior22

Prior22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Is 100 percent compatibility expected for GBA and SNES games? If so that's certainly something a PSP can't bring to the table. Unfortunately I think I'll hold off on purchasing until quality N64 emulation is made. Is this expected to be a high priority with developers? Of course there is Saturn emulation too, but obviously I'm not expecting that.

6. femalemalls102
    This message by femalemalls102 has been removed from public view by GeekyGuy, Jul 11, 2013.
    Jul 11, 2013
  7. azndragonguy115

azndragonguy115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 24, 2005
    United States
    Am I the only one that didn't get one because I thought it was ugly? xp I would chose the revo k101 over it simple for vanity sakes sadly. But a part of me is waiting for the vita to be properly hacked.

8. wiewcw

wiewcw GBAtemp Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    Poland
    Buy Xperia Play :) - it emulates N64 very nice...

9. Surkow

Surkow Advanced Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Netherlands
    GBA emulation compatibility depends on gpSP (and anything we can backport from the supercard DSTWO gpSP fork). SNES emulators available are SNES9x4D and PocketSNES. N64 emulation is not actively being worked on. Both Mupen64Plus and Daedalus could eventually be ported.

10. Nebuleon

Nebuleon MAH BOI/GURL

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Certainly a 1 GHz device will have more "compatibility" for SNES games than a 333 MHz device, "compatibility" defined as "running close to full FPS". But on the GBA side, gpSP won't magically have 100% compatibility once put on the GCW, compatibility defined as not crashing while loading or playing a game. Look at the TempGBA compatibility page on the GBATemp Wiki for a bit more on that.

11. RupeeClock

May 15, 2008
    It's good knowing that whatever TempGBA work is done can be brought over to gpSP as well, which is on a number of devices including Caanoo, Wiz, GP2X, PSP, OpenPandora and Dingoo.

12. popinadam

popinadam Advanced Member

Sep 25, 2006
    United States
    California
    It works fairly well so far. It's definitely still a work in progress as far as the menus and applications go. Plus I'm waiting to have a d-pad shipped out to me to fix the "sticky" issue. Over all I'm glad I have it and will be even more happy once they either get their "store" running or a decent repository for their apps/emulator files.