GC version of JAP Metroid Prime in English

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Paar, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Paar
    OP

Paar Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2012
    Well, I have this specific problem... I have a dream... And in this dream, I play Metroid Prime on Gamecube (love my Wavebird), with progressive scan, features from PAL version and English text. But officialy - it's impossible.

NTSC-U - 480p and English, but not features from PAL version
    PAL - English, but no progressive scan
    NTSC-J - features from PAL version and 480p, but no English (even though the English translation is already on the disc!)

So I tried to hack the .dol file from JAP version, so it would display English. It worked! But the problem is, font is way too big. I had an idea - what if I switched font files from PAL version with font files from JAP version? But I don't know where to look. Do any of you know if this is even possible?
    By the way, I own original copy of Metroid Prime. I don't play pirated games.

Thanks!

2. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Wiki says "Some of the changes were in the NTSC region's Player's Choice re-release, along with more changes not in other releases" so maybe try to track that down?

I didn't know there even were any changes between versions, other than when they ported to Wii. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle gi joe

3. Paar
    OP

Paar Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2012
    Player's Choice edition contains mainly bugfixes, it doesn't add features from JAP/PAL version (however Wii version do). If you want to know what kind of differences I'm "talking" about, check this list :).