leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tetris GB, GBC, and DS have differences that change the way gameplay is fleshed out. I love the DS version to death, but the GB version still has gameplay that is different from any other version. How can I explain?

The DS version is fast-paced and has eased some of the challenge originally found in the GB version. What really sticks out is no option to hide the upcoming tetris pieces and no option to change the number of upcoming pieces. You also have hard drops available and ghosting, which eases the gameplay. You can turn the pieces when you're on the side and the marathon mode allows you to turn your pieces indefinitely. I wish the old GB music was available in the DS version, as well.

GBC version is also one my favorite games, but I'm out of energy to type out any explanation. If you play these games a bit in one sitting, you can see where the different challenges in gameplay are. They are all great games to play in respect to their differences.

Zazie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In addition to what's already been stated:
Pokemon Trading Card Game
Robopon

There's a few others, can't remember, talking from way too long ago, etc.

But, honestly, unless your first handheld was the original, hueg Gameboy, you shouldn't be able to say whether the games sucked or not.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon Series - Pure nostalgia, and I prefer this series to any of the others.
I know what you mean.

However, I actually just found my GBC and Pokemon Blue just the other day, and could not deal with that infernal box system.

Sidenote: Pokemon Blue through a 5.1 speaker system is the promove.

QUOTE said:
I wish the old GB music was available in the DS version, as well.
tru dat.

QUOTEAnd Urza, your color-blind yet you always post in purple? That doesn't really make sense...
I'm also a douche-bag.

flai

Androgynous Apparently :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pokemon Series - Pure nostalgia, and I prefer this series to any of the others.
I know what you mean.

However, I actually just found my GBC and Pokemon Blue just the other day, and could not deal with that infernal box system.

Sidenote: Pokemon Blue through a 5.1 speaker system is the promove.

QUOTE said:
I wish the old GB music was available in the DS version, as well.
tru dat.

QUOTE said:
And Urza, your color-blind yet you always post in purple? That doesn't really make sense...
I'm also a douche-bag.

Ok, what?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neo Geo Pocket Colour has more classic games than bad, but thats mostly because of the lack of 3rd party support.

Also the Wonderswan was quite underrated, there were quite a lot of great games for it, some say that it had much better RPG's than the GB/GBC had. Such a shame it never got released outside of Japan

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
What the hell are you guys talking about? The Gameboy and GBC had some great games! The Pokémon Series, Donkey Kong ('94 remake) and plenty of others. Wait, I almost forgot the Donkey Kong Land series, the Mario Land games and Metroid 2. It's not extremely much, but you should play these games at least once.

zeppo

change my avatar!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just came back a day later, and noticed all this... didn't mean to start a war over the classics. I agree with you guys about a lot of the games that have been mentioned so far, but in general I would rather play ds than gbc! I mean yeah there are a few that don't have better counterparts on ds, but as far as the zelda oracle duo vs. phantom hourglass, even though they're very different and I want to play both, phantom hourglass is more fun (in my opinion) and if I had to pick one, I'd pick ph. same deal with mario ones vs. nsmb.
I also like pokemon g/s/c WAY more than any of the gba games or the ds games. they were so much longer and more fun, and there were lots of secret things that were kind of hard to figure out. since ruby and sapphire, the pokemon series has been excessively easy and obvious as far as what to do. and as much as I would love a g/s/c remake for ds, it would not be as fun because most of these secrets would probably be removed or at least hinted at (a lot) in the game, and you might not even be able to go into kanto at all. I say this for a couple reasons:
1. there wasn't THAT much you could do in kanto (compared to johto), and it would take up a lot of memory due to the fancy new graphics system.
2. if you could, people would then expect a hoenn remake as it would be the only region they couldn't play in 3d. this would be pretty pointless, as hoenn isn't that old.
however, there are some that don't apply to this, like wario vs. wario master of disguise (meh), where the ds counterpart is really shitty and not even similar to the gbc one. this also applies to tomb raider.

the point is, there are some games that are awesome on gbc, but the majority of them I would not play, and the ones that I would, I have already BEATEN.

however, for anyone who has NOT played these games, and the only excuse for this that I can think of is that they weren't into video games when they came out, and haven't gotten them or played them on an emulator since then, should definitely play them now.

I am now done and apologize for my massive post.

Swiffer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hows aboot turok 2 for gbc, metal gear gbc, Tomb Raider, and perfect dark?! those were greatt games... hell, when no one is looking i occasionally play around with em for a few hours...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on