GBAtemp sponsorless once again

Dirbaio

Trophies
Website
dirbaio.net
XP
Country
And what about Bitcoin? Why don't flashcart stores start to use it?
Bitcoin is a decentralized peer-to-peer network instead of a centralized organization like PayPal or Google Checkout. There's absolutely no way they could get blocked. I'm surprised this isn't in use yet.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
And what about Bitcoin? Why don't flashcart stores start to use it?
Bitcoin is a decentralized peer-to-peer network instead of a centralized organization like PayPal or Google Checkout. There's absolutely no way they could get blocked. I'm surprised this isn't in use yet.

Oh my god get out. There are plenty of reasons bitcoins aren't in any form of major use. They are unstable as fuck and nobody should buy into that bullshit.

SA managed to crash the entire bitcoin market overnight, and it still constantly fluctuates. Not something worth investing in.

LurkerA

㊣New3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, some of my friends (flashcard or game accessories sellers) would like to know what kind of ads option GBATemp will provide to them now, and how to charge fee, by monthly, quarterly or pay by click..? need more details here..

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
yeah, some of my friends (flashcard or game accessories sellers) would like to know what kind of ads option GBATemp will provide to them now, and how to charge fee, by monthly, quarterly or pay by click..? need more details here..
any store interested in partnerring with GBAtemp can contact me directly.
but honestly, most of these stores use paypal and they will get blocked eventually.

Catboy, I haven't found any gaming site willing to partner with us... but I don't know a lot of game stores that ship internationally who would potentially be interested. Play-Asia havent replied my mails and I don't know a lot of other stores.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have pondered similar things leeday100196 but the situation (which in your defence was not really covered earlier in the thread which was more a discussion on advertising) as I understand it

First it should be noted paypal have resisted becoming a proper bank/money handling service everywhere they could (which at this point includes the US which is the base of their operations anyway I believe* and the base of operations for subsidiaries of other big companies relevant here) and done the bare minimum elsewhere which is not something that encourages hope in me. This said along the way they somewhow became both trusted and almost the de facto online payment method (and to be fair what I have seen of their API, agreements and such vs the stuff banks, Visa and co had at the time I can see why they were opted for) to the point where some would consider not supporting paypal a mark against a service/shop. From what we have seen it seems Nintendo has wandered up to paypal and said "these stores... best if you do not offer your services to them" which at best is legally dubious (there have been some cases where flash cart vendors have been taken to task up in front of the beak but nothing that resulted in an unequivocal ruling) and at worst is a straight breach of ethics but as just covered as paypal are not a proper financial services company and in this case are technically free to do what they like (this said even proper financial services companies have serious leeway as seen in the whole visa/mastercard wikileaks thing). Being a de facto monopoly, to say nothing of paypal freezing accounts which includes liquid assets of a company (your company can be worth a lot but if you take what seems a fraction of that money out of play it can leave you in the lurch), a lack of paypal tends to make for a lack of sales for whatever reason.

*I am way too lazy to bother figuring out the corporate structure of paypal or indeed ebay and reconcile that with financial services laws.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when redhotstuff was cut off of paypal, they just started taking payments via debit or credit card. it should not be a big deal. Also why doesn't the temp just set up an account for donations off to the side?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
when redhotstuff was cut off of paypal, they just started taking payments via debit or credit card. it should not be a big deal. Also why doesn't the temp just set up an account for donations off to the side?

Unfortunately, those credit card fees translate into higher prices, which is most likely one of the reasons why RHS flash carts are sold at a premium.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Unfortunately, those credit card fees translate into higher prices, which is most likely one of the reasons why RHS flash carts are sold at a premium.
Even at those "Premium" Prices, the slot 1 cards are still WAAAAY cheaper than the GBA flash cards back in the day. :yaysp:

Reactions: 1 person

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

Even at those "Premium" Prices, the slot 1 cards are still WAAAAY cheaper than the GBA flash cards back in the day. :yaysp:

But the way people whine and moan about a flashcart losing support after 5 or so years, I can just imagine what would happen if prices were to go up.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"But the way people whine and moan about a flashcart losing support after 5 or so years, I can just imagine what would happen if prices were to go up. "
I agree with you on that part TwinRetro. I think they should still look at the situation as "Wow i can have hundreds of games for the price of one!" :yaynds:

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

But the way people whine and moan about a flashcart losing support after 5 or so years, I can just imagine what would happen if prices were to go up.
Well they always have the option to actually pay for the games. No? I guess that leaves either paying slightly higher prices for a flashcart or buying neither games nor flashcarts.

Reactions: 4 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: JOE! :P