GBAtemp Exclusive GBAtemp Recommends: Silent Hill

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Issac, Oct 31, 2019.

1. relauby

relauby Contributor

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    relauby is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 21, 2017
    Canada
    Newfoundland
    Well, that's something I guess. Certainly more than modern day Konami would do. Besides, I'm sure someone's made a mod that puts the original back in. I never played much of the HD collection but I think people's main issues were with the visuals, right?

2. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Fuck, beat me to it!

3. sonicvssilver22

sonicvssilver22 •Sever the skyline•

Aug 12, 2010
    United States
    Pherae
    Yeah, the biggest two issues I remember were the aforementioned fog that wasn’t rendered properly and some really weird performance issues. Game just couldn’t keep a stable frame rate to save its life :rofl:

relauby likes this.
  4. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    remember when i was a kid and played this at my friend's basement without a widow -_-, it scared my shit off.....
    We managed to arrive at school but couldn't resolve the PIANO RIDDLE -_-, anyone plz help me?

Thank you.

No one plays PROJECT ZERO: MAIDEN OF BLACK WATER? it's a great game tho.

5. Issac
    OP

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    There is a Silent Hill 2 project for PC, a collection of mods and settings that will create the best possible experience of that game! It's really incredible and I highly recommend checking that out. Not only do they fix widescreen stuff and HD things, but also fix bugs that even were present in the PS2 game.

osaka35, relauby and leonmagnus99 like this.
  6. Issac
    OP

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    The piano riddle is a difficult one at first. Give it another try, now that you're older :) I'm sure you can figure it out!

leon315 likes this.
  7. Draxikor

Draxikor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2019
    Mexico
    My favorite SH the 2 is epic but the first one is for me more scary, it needs a remaster of course but isn't unplayable due to it's graphics they are 20 year old, the only thing i hate from the game is every new game the difficult increase i prefer the game confirm if you want to play new game in easy, normal or hard mode.

8. Hardline

Hardline GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2012
    Great Game..

9. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    I am a HUGE fan of the Project Zero/Fatal Frame series. Notice my avatar that I've had here for as long as I can remember. ;) RE for me is not even slightly scary and never was outside of jump scares. I love Silent Hill but for me they're just really creepy. PZ/FF on the other hand, have been the only games I've played that actually scared me. Especially the first two. Very highly recommended.

leon315 likes this.
  10. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    The only game series (the first 4) that truly encapsulates terror.

11. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    Yep, I considered both Fatal frame+Silent hill are both superior horror franchise than RE too.
    RE over the years has slowly shifted from Survivor horror genre to run'n'gun shooter game (just look at re4-6), and I was really disappointed tho. Hopefully Crapcom realized what public wants, and had REmake and RE7 came back too root. :P

12. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    This was a fantastic game, no doubt but playing Silent Hill 4 on the PS2 when it was first released is a horror game I will never forget that was awesome!

Edit: Silent Hill 3 & 4 are the only survival horror games I have ever actually completed.

Last edited by Reecey, Nov 2, 2019
    Issac likes this.
  13. Issac
    OP

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I highly suggest checking out Silent Hill 2 too. The ultimate modded PC version is really good, and the game is very similar to SH3 in structure, but a fair bit deeper storywise.
    I love all the 4 first games, then it went downhills. Pun intended.
    I have the game manuals for SH3 and SH4 signed by Akira Yamaoka by the way :D he produced those two games, as well as the music and sound in the rest of the games (at least the first 4 + origins iirc)

Reecey likes this.
  14. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I did play Silent Hill 2 it was good but I lost interest maybe I should of gone deeper into the game it probably gets a lot better I will revive it. Wow you have both 3 & 4 signed manuals you’re obviously a big fan like me, I’m jealous always keep those they will be worth quite a lot! Yes totally agreed, the Silent Hill series in my opinion went downhill after Silent Hill The Room. Maybe one day we might both be blessed with a new SH game that will be as good as what 3 & 4 truly was.

15. Sinon

Sinon "AutumnWolf!"

Sep 15, 2015
    Costa Rica
    I really don't like tank controls, I didn't get very far into the game because of that, tank controls really annoy me, maybe I'll give the game another chance at some point

16. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2016
    United States
    US
    Tank controls are much better for this type of game imo

17. Issac
    OP

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I actually prefer the tank controls to the "modern" controls that were introduced in Silent Hill 4.
    Maybe you could change controls in 2 and / or 3 too... don't remember, but it was only "modern" in the fourth game.

I don't know why, it just feels... right to me :P

SpiffyJUNIOR likes this.
  18. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    SH 1, 2 and 3 were really good. SH2 is my favorite TBH.
    I miss the atmosphere and take on horror of those games.
    And considering Konami, I guess I will not be seeing it again anytime soon.

19. MUDD_BR

MUDD_BR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 17, 2008
    Brazil
    An amazing start for a very good series. So sad PT was cancelled...

20. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Konami wanted to make a quick buck or two, so thought releasing silent hill HD would be a cheap way to do it. Konami gave the project to another developer, and expected a quick 6-month turn-around on the game.

buuuut they gave this developer some random early builds of each game, and some of the assets were missing, requiring the outsourced developer to recreate a lot of assets and the like from scratch. Can't remember why silent hill 1 wasn't included, could be because of the same reasons. So they had to remake large chunks of the game, trying to make it feel and look and everything else just like the original. After around 2 years or so, konami gave them a hard date where they were just going to release it in whatever state it was. So they rushed and did the best they could. And obviously it was a huge disaster. Loads of glitches and whatnot. They did release a patch for the glitches and the voice acting (another long story of disparagement between konami and voice actors over residuals), but the company went under shortly after. So. Yay konami.

Last edited by osaka35, Nov 6, 2019
    relauby and Issac like this.