GBAtemp Recommends Revival # 049

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Sep 17, 2012.

Sep 17, 2012
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to the 49th issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a weekly feature where we share our favorite games and applications with you. The things we recommend may be "old school" titles, a Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!

GBAtemp Recommends!

The Immortal​

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Immortal is a 1990 isometric adventure role-playing game which quickly became known for its graphic violence and high level of difficulty. The game was released on multiple systems including the Apple IIGS, Amiga, Atari ST, PC, NES, and Genesis. While the NES release lacked the amazing musical score of the Apple release, and also considerably toned down the level of violence, it was the first console release of The Immortal and helped to bring the game to a much larger audience.

Players take on the role of a wizard who must reach the last level of the dungeon in order to save his teacher. The path is treacherously marked by all sorts of traps including fire, darts, pit falls, and man-eating worms. The game is filled with magic spells and collectible items which must be utilized to solve various puzzles along the way. Warring Goblins and Trolls will seek to impede our hero’s advances through 2D combat scenarios fought in real-time. Successfully circumnavigate the dungeon and lay to rest on a bed of straw, where dream sequences reveal a majority of the plot.

The Immortal is a unique game which successfully incorporated puzzles, adventure role-playing, real-time battles, and a great story into something worth experiencing on multiple systems. If you have never tried it before, give it a play, we recommend it!

Genre: Role-playing
    Release Year: 1990
    Developed by: Sandcastle
    Published by: Electronic Arts
    Designed by: Will Harvey
    Released For: Apple IIGS, Amiga, Atari ST, MS DOS, NES, Mega Drive/Genesis

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these articles in the future.

We are always looking for community members who wish to get more involved. If you would like to write a GBAtemp Recommends! article, let us know.

[​IMG] Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History

1 person likes this.
  2. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    if you have something you would like to recommend get in touch with me. You only have 6 more chances to write before the project is discontinued.

-another world

3. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I used to play this on the Amiga, can't remember the last time I played that version though. I remember it being fairly hard and I needed the manual (which was very nicely illustrated) to get passed some of the puzzles. It was fairly difficult to control to begin with but you get used to it.

Can't say I recommend the NES version, it just didn't feel right to me.

4. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    Before I begin... 6 more?
    I think the problem with old games was the difficulty. Probably the programmers were not looking into that aspect clearly.
    When you say difficult, does it mean that you die in one hit i.e. one life?

5. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    As in the puzzles and traps may be too much for gamers who are mollycoddled nowadays.

Nothing to do with the programmers, they purposely made games to be challenging because they were called "games". Obviously arcade titles were made that way to so that arcade owners would buy the games that sucked in the most money but for home games gamers wanted a challenge.

6. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    my favorite version would probably be the Apple release, simply for the music. the nes release is not the best example of the game but seems to be the most remembered, which is why i chose it. it is also much easier for our community to test out, with nesds, pocketnes, fce ultra gx, etc.

that is correct. PM me if you would like to discuss if further.

this game does not have cheap difficulty, but it does have a lot of trial and error. you start the game with 3 lives, and when they are gone you start over from the beginning of the level. most of the rooms have traps of some kind that are either hidden or require quick navigation. once you memorize the paths and object placements, then the game becomes much easier. what makes it difficult for most is that it is practically impossible to play the game for the fist time and beat it without losing your 3 lives. in some rooms you'll spend your 3 lives just trying to figure out where to place certain objects. then start over and do it all again.

-another world

7. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Loved this game on the NES back in the day. It was quite a challenge as I remember.

8. haazenpfeffer

Newcomer haazenpfeffer Member

United States
    Awesome old game. I still have the box for the IBM version (same as DOS?) in my room. The art is GREAT.
    I always found the game hilarious, because of how hard it is. Give the controller to one of your friends and see how long they last.
    The genesis version has slightly better graphics and an extra button (which is both helpful and confusing)...

When in doubt, play one of the computer versions. The console versions run great on emulators on the DS, though! :yaynds: