OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Welcome to the 1st issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a weekly magazine feature where we share our favorite games and applications with you. The things we recommend may be “old school” titles, a Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!

GBAtemp Recommends!

icon18.gif
Ature​
01_gbatemp_recommends_revival_01-ature.png
02_gbatemp_recommends_revival_01-ature.png
03_gbatemp_recommends_revival_01-ature.png

The Atari 2600 had a few games that could be considered more than just basic repetitive arcade-like fun. These early platformer, adventure, and RPG style games were often winnable in a single sitting. Only a few stood out from this single-sitting classification and Ature aims to join them.

Designed and coded as “an exercise for a simple machine with low art requirements,” Ature, is heavily influenced by The Legend of Zelda and the Seiken Densetu series. The story is one of mankind’s triumphs in the year 2600 where magical trees have brought forth the Numen, a mysterious life-giving power. When the Earth healing Numen is magically cursed and drained by the dark queen Ikaza, it is up to our hero Signe to save the human race (and a love interest).

Game play is very similar to classic overhead Zelda titles, including a memorable “over world” broken into familiar grid-like sections. Each area of the map is unique and features not only a detailed yet minimalistic backdrop, but enemies to fight, switches to flip, and treasure to discover. During exploration of the game world our hero will face each new trial with the aid of a sword, which has been carefully implemented as to force the player into attacking with strategy. There are multiple ways to win Ature and one includes finding mystical weapons and items which will aid our hero. These special items include a powerful double damage-yielding sword upgrade and a magical shield which can block all projectile attacks. Those brave enough to unlock the secrets of Ature will also discover the Book of Striking, which allows our hero to attack from a distance. The game completes the various RPG elements by offering a leveling system, maxing out at 99, which is calculated from experience earned with each kill.

Ature is an epic adventure in a small package. The developer has spent a great deal of time to provide gamers with an adventure worthy of their time. With multiple ways to beat the game, enough secrets to keep you coming back, and a cleverly designed continue system, this action adventure RPG has the makings of a polished Atari 2600 retail release. For these reasons I have chosen this title for the very first GBAtemp Recommends Revival article!

StellaDS v1.2 by Alekmaul

Ature can be enjoyed in both DS and DSi-mode thanks to Alekmaul's Homebrew Bounty entry, StellaDS v1.2. StellaDS requires a Flash Kit or the DSiWareHax to run. Ature should be renamed to "ature.a26" so that StellaDS will recognize it as a ROM. To activate the Book of Striking the left difficulty switch must be changed to "A", this can be done in StellaDS by pressing "X". Ature can be continued by pressing the reset switch, this can be done in StellaDS by pressing the right shoulder button.

Myriads of years passed since man first set foot on the moon. Terrible wars
raged, and great ecological problems arose. Much was destroyed, and the face of
the Earth itself was changed. Finally, tired of the endless troubles, the people
of the world united to build a durable era of cooperation, peace and prosperity.
Technology developed as never before, and mankind travelled to the stars and
spread throughout the galaxy.

However, even this golden age of technology came to an end somehow. Contact with
the other worlds was lost. The advanced technology and the great cities were
abandoned, and mankind's numbers dwindled as they reverted to a more primitive
lifestyle.

Yet, when it looked like mankind would was doomed to disappear, a mysterious
event turned the tide yet again. The Great Tree sprang from the earth,
bringing life and protection to all of mankind. It seeds spread throughout
the continents, bringing forth the Twenty Lesser Trees.

The Numen, the power that flowed from these trees gave mankind new, mysterious
abilities that allowed them to heal and recover themselves and the land. Still,
there are those who would abuse this power for their own selfish goals...
That is why, everywhere a tree appeared, Protectors rose up to keep the Trees
safe.

The year is 2600 after the Sprouting of the Tree. In the land the land of Ature,
enclosed by impenetrable tall mountains, dense forests, and the sea, one of
the Numen Trees had been guarded closely by the Gemma family. You are Signe,
the youngest in the line of the Gemma. Your father, Dyon, trained you in the
arts of sword fighting, and when you reached 20 years of age, you were handed
down the Mystic Medallion, sign that henceforth you would be the Protector
of the Tree.

Ature was well separated from the outside world, and had been peaceful for the
last millennium. You enjoyed life, together with your beloved, and it seemed like
all that training had been for naught. Little did you know that you would soon
be called to the task!

At the horizon, a black ship landed on shore, carrying queen Ikaza to Ature.
She claimed to be on a mission of trade, and she seemed fair, so you did not
have any second thoughts, even though you felt some fear at the unusual looks
of her servants.

The queen was welcomed with a great party that went on until late at night,
in which you and your beloved also participated, until, drowsy, you returned
home. Alas! Little did you know it was all deception! During the feast, Ikaza's
servants found out the location of the Numen Tree. As you were sleeping, she
captured your beloved, went to the Tree, blocked it's access with a curse,
and started to drain the Tree's powers.

The results were disastrous. The curse on the Tree was so powerful, that that
lay of the land of Ature itself was changed, and the people and animals were
turned to stone. Only you, protected by the Mysic Medallion were spared.
Outraged at this, the Queen sent her servants, now revealed to be nothing
more than foul monsters, to hunt you down.

These foul monsters can be defeated with your sword, but will be reborn
due to the curse, the moment you leave the area they are patrolling.
Fortunately, there are some places in Ature where Ikaza and her dark servants
cannot go, as they are protected by ancient blessings.

However, the situation is dire, Signe! Your beloved was abducted. Your friends
and family have been petrified! Who knows what more evil Ikaza will do with
her new-found powers. You must find a way to reach Ikaza and defeat her!

You have heard rumors of the three leaves of the Tree, well hidden, which
together would allow breaking any curse. It's also rumored that there is a
Numen Shield and a Numen Armour that can protect you from that dark power.

Furthermore, you did not receive any education in the use of Numen's Mysterious
Powers. Perhaps you will find a Mystery Book along the way that teaches you
how to use these powers. However, will all that be enough to defeat Ikaza?
If only you had a weapon that could counter the power of the Numen tree...
04_gbatemp_recommends_revival-ature-map.png
Genre: Action-Adventure RPG
Type: Homebrew
Developer: Beoran
Release Date: May 31st, 2010
ROM Size: 32 KB
System: Atari 2600

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival project please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these magazine articles in the future.

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Project Post
icon11.gif
Game Hints
controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Interesting idea for a series. Any limits on platform?

I could recommend Task Maker, Tomb of the Task Maker and A Whole Mess o' Trouble. All old Mac games.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Well if there is anything I could do to help just ask.

i'm pretty much open to allowing anyone from our community to write for the recommends. its pretty straight forward. pick an old game/software, write a bit about it (3-4 paragraphs), collect any additional info for quotes or spoilers, and finish it all up with the file specific info (genre, size, release date, publisher, type, etc).

if you, or any gbatemp member, would like to write something just PM me. please include what think you want to write about, a quick blurb about how you are going to attack the project, etc. i'll either OK, deny it, or make suggestions.

so there you go, the call for writers is now officially posted! =)

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Also, didn't you say something about it having to be able to be played on current-gen platforms? (e.g through emulators on DS).

Writing mine now.

that was one of the original rules, keeping it related to gbatemp's sort of "on-topic" discussions (gba, ds, wii). yet, the site is changing. nds is on the way out. so we decided to pretty much allow any games and things related to them (translations, hacks, etc). just keep it software related, that's pretty much the only rule right now.

stick to the topics you presented to me for now and then PM me new topics when you are ready. we can discuss new topics at a later date.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying