Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gbatemp_recommends_revivla_logo2_build-1.png
Welcome to the 62nd issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a weekly feature where we share our favourite games and applications with you. The titles we recommend may be "old school" games, a piece of Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!​
GBAtemp Recommends!
Tyrian 2000
rauw4g.jpg
331j5li.jpg
In 1995 Epic Megagames published one of the best shoot-em-ups on the PC, hell it holds it own against the arcade and console games. During the first four years of release, the developers still worked on it, improving aspects, gameplay and even adding a lot of content like a whole new episode, two player modes, bonus games (in v2.0) and also a nice little Xmas mode (V2.1). In 1999 they re-released it as Tyrian 2000 adding a 5th episode to it and also making it work a lot better with Windows (which was becoming a more dominant OS taking over from DOS).

Tyrian 2000 is a vertical shooter, you pretty much already know the drill; control a ship, shoot stuff and defeat a big boss at the end. If you like shooters, jump in because you'll love it, if you don't...well go away. Unlike most shooters you find on the consoles, this is one hell of a lengthy game. The game was originally split into three episode and each lasted just as long as a console shooter. The game wasn't overly hard like some but you can change that with hidden modes, making the game scroll faster etc. Also type in ENGAGE on the title screen and you'll get a insane difficulty mode.

Another great thing about this is the level of customisation you have in the game for your ship. Throughout the game you will earn credits by shooting enemies and buildings, these credits will then allow you to buy new ships, add better shields, generators & weapons. I really liked this feature, it added to the way you play and you can tool the ship up to suit how you play shooters.

Graphically it was really nice, some good transparent effects and it never seemed to slow down at all when there was a ton of crap on the screen (something that can't be said about the more popular SNES shooters sadly). The music was neat in places and meh in others but after playing the tunes will still be in your head. The sound effects are pretty good, the usual blasts and explosions.

This game is now freeware and I recommend downloading it from the GoG website (link below) and it requires zero fath to get up and running. There is something about the OpenTyrian version that doesn't feel like the original, it places well enough but doesn't seem to be in tune with the controls. Also unlike OpenTyrian, it still has the fifth episode. However what is omitted from the freeware versions are the Red Book Audio tracks that featured on the CD ROM version of the game so some people may want to track down that and run it through DOSBox.

The game was also headed for Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance courtesy of World Tree Games. These were finished but ultimately cancelled, however you can get a ROM of the GBC version which is pretty good considering the limitations of the GBC, though the levels are also restructured.

Download:

download.gif
Download from GoG
download.gif
OpenTyrian for Windows/Wii/DS/Android/PSP/PS3/Amiga/GameCube Plus More

Genre: Vertical Shoot-em-up
Release Year: 1995 (original Tyrian) 1999 (Tyrian 2000)
Developer: Eclispe Productions
Published by: Epic Megagames
Released For: MS-Dos/Windows. OpenTyrian can be played on Wii/DS/Android and others.

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these articles in the future.

If you would also like to write a GBAtemp Recommends! article, let me know.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I played it for the first time in years last Friday, played for it nonstop until the end.

I've already got somewhere around 27 of these articles already written but I just had to write this up ASAP because I loved it so much.

Filipe C Bello dos Santos

Real pirates don't buy fake copies.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is by far the best pc game from old days. I have a twin brother who hates this game and he is the only person that I met that doesn't like it.

When people start to code homebrew for 3DS I will beg for someone to make a 3D version of it. Would be awesome!

Epic mega games was my favorite old pc game company, so many awesome titles!

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Tyrian is part of my childhood, and one of the best games for pc. It's great it's still available in different forms (with the same game).
There's really not many shmups which can compare itself to Tyrian.
Tyrian itself really is based on an old Atari game called Xenon 2. But they basically improved everything there was to improve. The upgrade system is just so awesome.
The only thing lacking was the 2 player system where the second player played as a small part of your ship.

Great to see others sharing my own love for the game.

Mythrix

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I loved this game back in the days! Still remember bits and pieces of the music in my head. :D

I have tried various ports of OpenTyrian, but never really got into replaying it.

Maybe the GoG version is better! Though I already have a problem with having too many games on my "to play" list. :P

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn, another legendary title that did appear on the DS which I forgot to include in my little DS shmups writeup the other month.

As for Tyrian itself I did play more than a few shooters growing up but for some reason I never really put the time in on this one, it was not for any reasons of quality (as others said it is a first rate example of the gameplay style) or anything it just never happened.

pongozila

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just to state here, this game is one of the greatest games I've ever played, and I played A LOT of games, I swear to god one of my dreams is to see this game with an HD remake or better yet a sequel! =D

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tyrian itself really is based on an old Atari game called Xenon 2.
Actually the devs based it upon Zanac, the devs of the Xenon series have said that inspired them too.

Tyiran is great, but IMHO Raptor is the best DOS schmup.
I played that on the same day it it certainly didn't play as well as it did back then, kinda felt medicore now and way too easy.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Dat Game. So good.

I don't play SHUMP's, but when I do, I play Tyrian - you can't get any better than this in my opinion. It's not bullet hell yet, but it's not boring and bland either - it's just about the right amount of action, not to mention all the customizable content plus editors and all - brilliant!

...I still remember flying my super OP carrot-shaped ship back in the day... Mmm...

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved Raiden back when I was a kid, so I'll definitely have to give this a go. It looks great all-around! Thanks for the review!

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah! I've had this on the DS since it was first released. I remember because I created special "amped-up" versions of the music tracks for the DS version, since the default tracks played too softly. All I did was run the tracks through an audio editor and upped the volume to just before they clipped. It helped, but not as much as I thought it would. Still have it on my DS to this day. A really fun shmup!

I even had the old DOS version on an older PC.

I actually forgot about this game until I saw this "GBAtemp Recommends" on the portal. Snapping up the PSP and newer Windows-PC versions (since they're like...free and stuff), as I didn't know about them previous to reading this.

Yep, this is a game I consider a "happy game". Great write-up!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In emulation overclocked FX chips makes a pretty big difference in frame rate