GBAtemp 2011: Alive and Kicking!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Aug 15, 2011.

Aug 15, 2011
  1. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

As we promised you earlier this year, 2011 has been and will be an exciting year for our community, with multiple changes on all fronts. We have done quite well so far: an amazingly successful Homebrew Bounty with over $5,500 redistributed to homebrew developers, a tutorial competition that has warranted the opening of a massive tutorial & guide section, the opening of ShopTemp.net our online product & store information/review site, further coverage of the Nintendo 3DS & PS Vita in the news and forums, and so on. It is time to reveal the second part of our 2011 plans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] GBAtemp Merch Store
    Remember last year's t-shirt design competition? Our plan to produce the t-shirts last summer was delayed due to technical reasons related to the production of the shirts. The plan was even annihilated by the take down of ShopTemp.com, our partner that was going to handle production & logistics.
    But as we promised earlier this year, we have opened our very own merchandise store, run by members of the GBAtemp staff! We are now able to offer not just Orc's awesome t-shirt but also a selection of goodies that will lighten up your summer... or winter for you aussies and kiwis down there!
    [​IMG]
    Most of our members have received early PMs with more info, but we are now going fully public with it and discussion is as of now fully allowed on the forums (sorry if your posts got censored before, but it's alright now). Another fact that not all of you may be aware of: we were able to retrieve ShopTemp's customer database and if you ever purchased something off ShopTemp.com you should be able to login to our new site without registering again. What this also means is that customers that had store credit on ShopTemp.com will be able to spend some of it (in a reasonable limit) on the merchandise store, we're doing this as a tribute to our members that worked hard towards promoting the store back then. If you intend to spend your store credit please contact me before placing your order. Needless to say we will be offering even better products in the future, stuff that may actually be *useful* to you (hah!) such as DS and 3DS cases or pouches, various accessories and there could also be a new t-shirt design competition sometime this year. Stay tuned!

[​IMG] Forum Software Update: IPB 3
    You may or may not have noticed the poll that we ran earlier this month. We asked our members what they would like to see next, in other words what the community would like the staff to focus on in terms of site updates. Unsurprisingly you voted for a forum software update. It is no secret that we are running a forum software that was developed something like 5 years ago. Times have changed, the web has evolved and we need to evolve with it. We will proceed to an upgrade in the coming months, in fact it could happen sooner than you think.
    If you think that an update of our forum software will result in minor changes, you couldn't be more wrong. There have been huge improvements over the new versions which I will attempt to summarize here in this short, non-exhaustive list:
    • Revamp of the PM system towards a fully conversational messenger
    • Like system with "like" button on posts (though we are still discussing whether this option should be fully enabled)
    • Full navigation is possible on mobile devices thanks to a special skin designed for smartphones. Also Tapatalk and the IPB application are both enabled.
    • Social interactions have improved: better profile page with status updates, friend posts, comments and much more.
    • A powerful Facebook-like notification system to keep you informed of all that's happening
    • A full-fledged blog system, much better than our current blog hack
    • A gallery system for picture hosting, sharing & commenting
    • A brand new shoutbox with advanced features (auto-refresh!)
    • A few more add-ons that we don't wish to disclose yet, and a huge amount of new little things that will make this place a lot better.
    We are impatient to welcome you onboard this new boat, we'll work hard to get it to set sail as soon as possible!
    Stay tuned!

2. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Aw yeah, auto-refresh on the shoutbox. Can't wait.

3. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Profile pages will be cool.

I hope the auto-refresh isn't like what you did though Costello (no offence [​IMG] )

Also with the new update, hopefully all the bugs around the forum will be sorted. Fresh start to GBAtemp? Maybe so.

4. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    All of these things sound awesome! I kinda don't like the idea of Facebook style notifications; they can be excessive (OMG YOUR BFF JUST COMMENTED ON YOUR MOMMENT OF A FRIENDS COMMENT THAT A FRIEND COMMENTED ON FROM 2 YEARS AGO) I hope it's more refined here.

5. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    No, it's more like "You've been quoted in this thread" and "Someone has posted in the thread that you've posted in" (Though you can obviously turn these off)

It's better than subscribing to a thread and getting it by e-mail, that's for sure

6. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    I wish to see stickers for flashcarts like the one on the dstwo limited edition. [​IMG]

7. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Ah, just visited the Merch site. I love the "I'm a cheap bastard" drop down option. XD

8. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    This is awesome. Looking forward to IP.B 3 [​IMG]

9. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    WOOOHOOO!
    It's great to see the Temp getting an upgrade.

I love the new shop that's started. Let's hope more things show up there (cause I've already ordered) [​IMG]

10. FrozenIndignatio

Member FrozenIndignatio Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad

Australia
    The upgrade sounds promising [​IMG] and I can finally get one of those cool GBAtemp mugs [​IMG]

11. Zaertix

Member Zaertix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've actually been in the process of converting a few sites of mine from other forum softwares to IPB, and I must say.. I do love it.

So it'll be good to see it here.

12. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Forum update FTW. SO is the site going to shut down or stay online while the update is happening? I hate GBA Temp 2. It is filled with old posts from 2003 and newfags.

13. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Awesome news, guys. I'm so excited to see what the other changes are.

14. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    This is pretty awesome. Loving the changes. I can't wait to see what the new ones are.

15. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Sounds intriguing! Stuff that makes my favorite place online even better? I'm all for that!

I should pay more attention to the staff forum sections, heh. [​IMG]

16. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

EDIT: Changed my mind

17. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    wow... lots of improvements! the temp is going to be awesome!

18. Hydreigon

Member Hydreigon Isn't that DELICIOUS!?

Antarctica
    Looking forward to the forum software update! [​IMG]

19. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I like (heh) the idea of a comment rating system but I have a couple of suggestions.

1.Don't allow "dislikes" -- it'll encourage trolls and the same time discourage dissenting opinions. People will still know about the bad posts as the likes will be few.

2.Try to write code in that regulates "likes for likes" trading.This, hopefully, will keep begging down. This sounds like something that will be hard to moderate otherwise.

Can't wait for the site updates to see how this all goes down!. (time for a swarm of bugs to squash!)

20. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Revamp of the PM system towards a fully conversational messenger, A powerful Facebook-like notification system to keep you informed of all that's happening and a like button? ...and this is why GBAtemp is so good, doods. They actually listen to their community- and go further! A full profile is probably going to have noobs foaming at the mouth.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!