GBAExploder Upgrade

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by dmonkey21, Dec 11, 2008.

Dec 11, 2008

GBAExploder Upgrade by dmonkey21 at 5:09 AM (1,547 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. dmonkey21
    OP

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi, I am WAY far behind on updates for my NDS homebrew, and I have a quick question about using the new GBAExploader. I stopped updating this particular program long ago, and am still using Rudolph's 3in1 Expansion tool 1.9d! (What it GBAExploader was called before, I believe). Anyway, I seem to remember reading when like GBAExploader .02 came out that saves from Rudolph's 3in1 Expansion tool, didn't work, and other problems.

So, my question is: Is it safe to upgrade to this version? Right now all my games have been SRAM patched with GBATA, and they use the /GBA and /GBA/SAVES format. WHat are some major changes I should be aware of if I upgrade, if it will work at all? O I am also using an M3 Simply with a EZFlash 3-in-1 GBA Sized Axpansion pack, if that matters.

2. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I know Rudolph removed support from M3 products a few versions back, but unfortunately I don't know WHAT version last worked.

As for new features, I know he made the saves use the same filename as the rom now. It used to use a code for the save names, which caused some rom compilations built for pocket NES and Goomba to mess up if you had more than one compilation.

He also added support for non patched roms for any save type, but I'm not sure which version that was.

3. dmonkey21
    OP

United States
    Wow, that sound pretty cool. Ya, the tool I use has that old saving technique, so my saves might not work it sounds like... Might there be a patcher to convert saves?

Also, I'm pretty sure it has to support an M3 Simply, (Most people seem to have forgotten about it XD) but it's the same as an r4, so wouldn't it work?

Posts merged

So, if I used it would I have to re-..."acquire" my GBA roms that have been patched with GBATA?

4. granville

United States
    A while back, the M3 team threatened Rudolph with legal action (something I don't know the details about) so he removed support for I believe ALL M3 cards.

As for the saves, I'm afraid I don't know what to do about that. Destructobot made a cool save pad utility that converted them to different sizes, but I don't know if it'll help you:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1354

The newer versions of GBA EXPloader just don't require you to SRAM patch the roms. But I believe it will still read and save patched roms ok. Not really my expertise though, so I'm sorry. I have been able to run my roms (all of which are SRAM patched) fine, so I can say it works from my experience.

And regarding the thing where he redid the save naming mechanic: I think I was able to rename some of my saves and they worked. It's been a while though, so I can't remember very well.

Sorry for not being very helpful.

5. dmonkey21
    OP

United States
    That's cool, thanks for the help [​IMG]. I'll probably just install it tomorrow. With my experience with the Simply, there's no way to tell whether it's an r4 or not from homebrew, because in all the homebrew I've ever used any r4 version works the same for me. I'll have to test it though.

6. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    0.57 is the last version to support M3 cards [​IMG]

7. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    You can run the GBAExploader program on the M3Real but the Ram/GBA Expansion doesn't get detected.

8. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

hence my post of 0.57 works [​IMG]

9. granville

United States
    Does that mean it will run on a slot-1 M3 card, but just won't detect the M3 expansion? If so, I got it mixed up. I thought it wouldn't run on any slot-1 M3. I didn't think about the expansion. [​IMG]

10. seedvt

Member seedvt GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    He said M3 Simply right?

In that case, yes, the newest version should work.