Hardware GBA SP charging slowly

Darktreivor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys, i new in this old consols fix and restored.
I have this GBA a 11 Years and deciding restore for my son.
i need a help. I not have other gba sp and found a problem i can't identify.
Trying charge my gba and led indicator stay on and charging over 6 hours and led not off. Fuses and EM8 this ok.
I suspect The battery by time use.
Exist some one test i can try before swap battery or fix board?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
6 hours is still within the timeframe for a full charge, and if this was sitting in a box for a while then it could be doing a recovery type charge.
Most SP batteries at this point will have seen better days though. Finding a replacement that has not been sitting on a shelf for years (which is not good) is also quite hard.

Tests... you already checked fuses and EM8 (not to mention it would likely not have a LED if either of those were broken). Hope you also checked the pins that the battery connects to -- we have seen some of these leak and corrode them a bit on the GBA and newer Nintendo devices with similar batteries, and that would see something similar to this happen.
If you have a voltmeter/multimeter you could try that -- the LED is likely just something that turns off when it reaches a specified voltage. If the battery is having a hard time getting to that level then yeah. I am not sure offhand what the levels it wants to be at are though. If you mention them here hopefully someone can compare against their device.
Some people also found it useful to charge it up, run it down somewhat and charge it back up again, though this was more for battery life.

Reactions: zfreeman

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
SP batteries are a dime a dozen, but Makho's SP battery mod is the best one. You get a much better quality cell that holds a REAL charge, instead of those thin blu-ish teal generic batteries.

Reactions: zfreeman

Darktreivor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
6 hours is still within the timeframe for a full charge, and if this was sitting in a box for a while then it could be doing a recovery type charge.
Most SP batteries at this point will have seen better days though. Finding a replacement that has not been sitting on a shelf for years (which is not good) is also quite hard.

Tests... you already checked fuses and EM8 (not to mention it would likely not have a LED if either of those were broken). Hope you also checked the pins that the battery connects to -- we have seen some of these leak and corrode them a bit on the GBA and newer Nintendo devices with similar batteries, and that would see something similar to this happen.
If you have a voltmeter/multimeter you could try that -- the LED is likely just something that turns off when it reaches a specified voltage. If the battery is having a hard time getting to that level then yeah. I am not sure offhand what the levels it wants to be at are though. If you mention them here hopefully someone can compare against their device.
Some people also found it useful to charge it up, run it down somewhat and charge it back up again, though this was more for battery life.

Ok, will try make a test with dc power supply in 4.2V there is a tension 0.30A connected on battery socket, before connect charger and wait see to what happen.
I suspect too these ideal voltage to turn off led. Because "charge" the battery in external charger and for my surprise the charger indicates full load. I check the voltage and 4,01 ~ 4.03volts this strong indicate bad battery and the same voltage after 8 hours in gba charger.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

SP batteries are a dime a dozen, but Makho's SP battery mod is the best one. You get a much better quality cell that holds a REAL charge, instead of those thin blu-ish teal generic batteries.
Yes, i want this battery for mod in my country, but all vendors sold out "/

Darktreivor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm back...and find a new or old problem... track the alimentation/charge line.
In this component Q2 in one contact have 4.5v and in others not out any voltage or resistance .
I tested this component in multimeter in continuity scale, and when I touch what I believe to be the positive contact of this component and then on the GND of the board, the charging led lights up.
How do you know if this component is shorted or with the correct values?
Captura de Tela 2021-07-19 às 16.35.58.png

another finding, when plugging in the charger and turning on the game boy without a cartridge, you can hear a noise from the speaker.

Darktreivor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Updating...
(Q2,Q4 COMPONENT CODE: BAS70-06.)
This Q2 component is the same Q4 that can be found behind the board.
Internally it is dual diode.
Pin 1 and 2 are cathode, Pin 3 anode.
As I understand it, the voltage goes in at pin 3 and out in a regulated way at pin 1 and 2.
In the test I performed on Q2, the diode that is connected to pin 1 is broken.
In the Q4 test it has resistance between pins 1 and 2, 2 and 1. Indicating that the internal diode is resisting.
I will arrange the exchange of the same and come back updating the topic to help the community.Captura de Tela 2021-07-20 às 17.00.27.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hi @AncientBoi