ROM Hack GBA ROM Extractor/DECOMPILER?

raphael78

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

I need a dummy file for sappy or other for replace sound file with sound file dummy(no sound).

sorry for my bad english

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Commercial GBA ROMs do not use a filesystem so you are not going to get an unpacker, not all games use the sappy format either (many, probably most, do but where it is odd to see a DS game not using SDAT it is nothing all that notable on the GBA). However if it does use the sappy file format it does make GBA sound hacking considerably easier than doing the same for the likes of the 8 and 16 bit consoles.

If you are wanting a DS SDAT style click a few times and have your way (even if that is a crude method) then you are out of luck for the GBA. You are going to need to learn something and fiddle with things. I cover a bit of GBA sound hacking in the ROM hacking docs ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-rom-hacking-documentation-project-new-2014-edition-out.73394/ ) but I will be the first to admit I skimmed it and left a lot to be completed at a later date. It should net you some links to things that can help though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Knight of lodis was a tactics ogre game no? I liked the game (though I do well with most tactics games) and can not recall the music being overly annoying, that might change if you are putting real time into it though.

Other than ones made for certain games then GBA sound hacking is usually focused around injection of new songs, and though sappy will tell you the locations of a lot of things it does still involve quite a bit of manual work after that. You might be able to inject silence and have it do what you want, however I would probably fiddle with the sound engine or track itself if I was doing it. Tinke and all the DS SDAT stuff was a fairly large change from all that came before that. Back on old consoles sound hacking was usually only after encoded video and assembly hacking (though it probably involved a bit of that as well) in terms of what people considered the difficult parts of ROM hacking, sappy made that slightly easier but not by that much.

Are you playing on a PC emulator or hardware/limited emulator? If it is on PC then you can often just disable sound channels as music and SFX may well be on different parts of it all.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Out of curiosity, could it be possible to swap the english voices with the japanese ones in summon night swordcraft story 2?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Possible, sure and it is not likely even a particularly "out there" hack. However it is not going to be anywhere near as easy as doing it for a filesystem based device like we normally see. Indeed I would probably sooner look to backporting the English script to the Japanese game.

Reactions: Pablitox

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Possible, sure and it is not likely even a particularly "out there" hack. However it is not going to be anywhere near as easy as doing it for a filesystem based device like we normally see. Indeed I would probably sooner look to backporting the English script to the Japanese game.

Sorry for the late answer, but thanks!

about the backport of the script, it's proving to be hard as hell (at least for the 3rd one, hajimari no ishi) so we'll see what happens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Oh God no :ohnoes:
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pineapple is the safe word?
    But you said pine apple...
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog: