GBA on DSi?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by YueFairchild, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2008

GBA on DSi? by YueFairchild at 11:32 AM (30,623 Views / 0 Likes) 62 replies

1. YueFairchild
    OP

Newcomer YueFairchild Member

United States
    I think I read somewhere that it would be possible to run Game Boy Advance games on the DSi because the extra RAM would be able to simulate a Slot-2 card. Is that true, or am I just being stupid?

Sorry if this has been asked before!

2. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Nah, nothing is confirmed...That's all speculations, and theories....People are guessing it'll be possible..

But we won't know for sure until someone gets hands on it, and actually try something..

3. Mei-o

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kid™

Japan
    MAYBE it could be possible with the memory card slot.

4. Heeroo

Member Heeroo GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I think you can download the GBA-Games over the Shop

5. Shardnax

Member Shardnax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I figured Nintendo would be selling GBA games for download, not being able to play gba on it would be a pretty big turn off.

Edit:
    I was beaten to the punch [​IMG]

6. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    The DSi is out in Japan next month so hopefully some questions will be answered. I dunno if it has the GBA chips inside, on one hand it'll make it cheaper to produce the handheld without them and on another Ninetndo could do with them so they can offer downloadable GBA games and make a load of money for nothing.

7. Heeroo

Germany
    Yes, you right. Waiting is the best idea.

8. Shardnax

United States
    That's why I assumed they'd sell them online; it'd make them more money [​IMG].

We can't do anything but wait, anyone know when the US release is scheduled?

9. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    does anyone have a dsi to tell the o.p.?

no?

i figured that

10. Heeroo

Germany
    after the eu realese;) it's in Summer 2009, Eu Spring 2009

11. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    We know parts of the GBA hardware will be there. DS games require it to function. The question is how much.

12. Heeroo

Germany
    The Arm7 can be inside

13. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    It should be, AFAIK games use it (hence the arm7 patch for example). Could be me though [​IMG].

14. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    From the press conference i read they had removed the GBA slot for DSi.. and because of that it is slightly slimmer ~!
    to further support what i said, you can see from the press release pictures... no GBA slot on the bottom

So, i think the only way to run GBA would be crack it and hope a homebrew for GBA will come to rescue

15. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    There is no way you can emulate GBA advance games on the Nintendo DS. Think about it, we have RAM expansion packs, some giving the user up to 32 to 64 megabytes of extra RAM while the DSi will only have 10 megs of RAM. Now if we don't have a GBA emulator with 32 Megs of RAM, how do you suppose we'll have one with just 10? The problem here isn't the RAM but its the processing power of the DSi. Currently theres no way to run a GBA advance game from the Nintendo DS. To naively run GBA games on the DS, you have to place them in the bottom slot (Slot 2) and boot up the Nintendo DS in GBA mode which can't be done with slot 1 cards.

So unless Nintendo has changed the hardware and firmware in a way to be able to start up GBA games from the Nintendo DS, it would be impossible to play them on the DS. You could technically emulator GBA games, but they would never run at full speed. You'll most likely get them playing at 1-5 FPS at best.

Now for all of you saying "The DS still has the hardware", yes, it still has the hardware because normal Nintendo DS games require them, though it doesn't mean that the processor still have the routines to play GBA games. Currently they work two ways, when you boot a Nintendo DS game, one handles displaying the images on the screen while the other handles the sound and processing power while if you boot the hardware into GBA mode, they mimic the hardware in the original Gameboy Advance console. So technically, the Nintendo DS have two modes of use with the GBA functionality having a chance of being removed as well as the GBA slot.

16. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    Thanks for the TIP & Knowledge [​IMG]

17. Shardnax

United States

My thought that they would be downloadable was assuming a change of the hardware and firmware had to be done to allow for it. I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows what they're doing in those respects [​IMG]. It was a pretty safe bet that the DSi wouldn't get a big enough power boost to emulate.

Edit:
    Spelling and grammar, the bane of my existance.

18. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    If the DSi's firmware is hackable and can be made to play GBA games, then I'm getting one. NO fucking question about it.

19. Slyde1052

Newcomer Slyde1052 Advanced Member

United States
    I'm sorry to ask, as I'm sure it has before, but is there a way to "trick" the DS into going into the GBA mode after loading a GBA rom from a slot 1 device? Something akin to how the Wii handles VC games (as in having the crack/trick to run the software (except in this case the hardware) built into the rom file itself.)

I heard in the early days of DS emulation, everything was run from the second slot. (My example being the now defunct Heretic DS) If slot 2 can access DS hardware, what is preventing Slot 1 from accessing the GBA stuff. I'm not making an argument, I really don't know. [​IMG]

20. Shardnax

United States
    An argument that will result in your head being gnawed off by certain members.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.