GBA (no not how to play them)

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by DudeMG, Apr 16, 2009.

Apr 16, 2009

GBA (no not how to play them) by DudeMG at 4:23 PM (1,715 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. DudeMG
    OP

Newcomer DudeMG Member

United States
    Hi it probably got covered but i cant find it...

I just got the acekard 2 and im wondering if there is a way to patch a real GBA Game with a rom hack?
    thanks in advance!

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Wait, you want to hack a retail cartridge to put a hacked rom/patch on it?
    Or am I misunderstanding?

3. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I do believe Rudolph created a Slot 2 GBA Dumper but I cant remember if it can redump a ROM onto a retail cart like his Slot 1 Dumper. I'll go check.

EDIT: OK, so I just downloaded Rudolph's GBA Backup Tool v0.21. I believe what you want to do, is 100% do-able.

1) Download GBA Backup Tool v0.21 by Rudolph.
    2) Place GBABackup_Tool.nds & GBABackup_Tool.ini onto your Acekard.
    3) Place you original GBA Cartridge into Slot 2 & Launch GBA Backup Tool and hit (A) on the first Pop-Up
    4) Once the ROM Info appears, toggle ( R ) until you see the Bottom Window in the Bottom Screen turn from "Save Backup" to "Rom Backup"
    5) Hit (B) to create a new GBA File.
    6) Turn off your DS once it finished and replace the original with Hacked GBA ROM in the GBA_Backup folder the the GBA Backup Tool created.
    7) Eject MicroSD & Launch again from Acekard, this time when you toggle from "Save Backup" to "ROM Backup" , the first option will darken which is the option to update the current GBA ROM. (A)

The Hacked ROM can be named to anything, I do believe.

I tried this app with Pokemon Leafgreen and it dumped perfectly.

~ Jon

Have Fun!

4. DudeMG
    OP

Newcomer DudeMG Member

United States
    thank you for that reply because that is cool also but what i want to do is different...

For example I have the cartridge for pokemon Leaf Green but i want to put someone's hack onto the cartridge...so if i patch what i just dumped with an IPS how do i get the patched IPS back onto the cartridge?

***EDIT: i didnt read the rest of your post...you solved it so THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

5. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    no, you must patch your games first, then fix the header, then you can load them via the built in 3in1 support. neither of the firmwares will do any ips, hack, cheat, etc, pre-patching. all they do is patch for the save type.

google "lunar ips"

-another world

6. DudeMG
    OP

Newcomer DudeMG Member

United States
    ok turns out it didnt work...i dumped the firered game and then i patched it on my mac with UIPS so now it has the hack on it...how do i get the hack onto the firered cartridge so whenever i put that in by itself its the hack?

7. Another World

Colombia
    an ips patch simple contains the data between a rom-a (clean dump) and a rom-b (hacked/altered rom). the ips application makes the data file so that users can transfer their hacks without the risk of having to transfer the actual rom. when a patch is made, you only have to add it to a file to have the hacked version. there was a recent patching appliction released with different specificiations called UPS patching. are you sure your app (uips) does ips patches? once the rom is patched you will need to fix the header. there are a few apps that do this, but as i use my computer for actual work and not good looks, i have no idea about a mac version.

goodluck,
    -another world

8. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    I think that he is asking something different guys. He wants to load a modified/patched ROM image onto a commercial game cartridge like his leaf green. As far as I know, no such way exists and it never has. You were never able to just put anything you wanted on your retail bought cartridges, ever. Besides save files of course.

9. Another World

Colombia
    yes, that would be true.

rom stands for Read Only Memory. you can't write to it, but you could write a save file to your nds carts using rudolphs tools. which i guess, i sort of the same thing, depending.

-another world