ninfas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Gameboy Advance (GBA) SP and I also have a new ds lite (metallic rose colour).

I know that I can play ds games on the ds lite using a flashcard but I want to know if I can play GBA roms/backups on the ds lite using a flashcard?

If so what is the best flashcard to use for playing GBA roms on ds lite, with perfect gameplay and best compatibility?

If this can be done I might sell my GBA SP

Thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The DS does not have a link port so you won't be able to use it for link games (saving that you flick the saves across to a PC emulator or the GBA flash cart back into a GBA), nor on a gamecube/wii via the GBA-GC link cable. If those don't bother you then so be it but some value such things and don't know the DS lacks those.

Otherwise yeah those are the two best carts, though you could do OK with an EZ4 as well. Most flash carts that are not the supercard or a clone thereof are "if it fits then it plays", save for the handful of trouble games which might need an extra tickle https://gbatemp.net/threads/buying-a-gba-flash-cart-in-2013.341203/page-18#post-4756995

Alternatively if you are buying a DS flash cart then the supercard DSTwo family has an onboard GBA emulator that is not perfect by any means but will allow you to knock out most of the GBA library with it.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Sadly many users here in forum reports "issues" with the EZ Flash Omega (clones) like selled on Amazon and Aliexpress.A second recommendation is to get an older but sophisticated EZFlash IV (MicroSDHC):

ez4-new-1-740x492.jpg

ninfas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First, many thanks to all, your replies have been very helpful.

My next question is that, is there a flashcart which will play GBA roms on my New N2DS XL?

I know you can play GBA using virtual console on a new N2DS XL, but I am specifically want to know if GBA roms can be played using a flashcart like those mentioned above?

Thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 3ds has no official GBA hardware support so you are left with emulators. I am not sure where homebrew stuff got to but that many are still using the virtual console says most of what I care to know there.

DS homebrew which normal DS flash carts run does have some attempts at GBA emulators but they are more proof of concept than things you will want to use every day, even the games that do run... I might be biased as I have had GBA flash carts for the better part of 16 years at this point but even so I am used to some sketchy emulation and... nah.

Enhanced DS flash carts can have their own onboard processors with emulators. There are three main ones here called the iplayer, the ismart mm and the Supercard DSTwo family. Though for all practical purposes you will pick the supercard DSTwo or the supercard DSTwo+/supercard 4 in 1 (which is basically a DSTwo but with some 3ds abilities and still sort of available where the straight DSTwo has been had to find for several years now).

For the sake of a forum searcher or mildly interested in history. The iplayer was a very cheap homebrew focused thing technically from supercard but... call it an open secret. The ismart MM was ismart's (they were based around a shop I have forgotten the name of right now, they bought in flash cart designs and tweaked the software for them or made their own) take on the iplayer but with the supercard kernel ported to it by them (and supercard locked down what they could do, hence the more limited emulators available for it, the owner of the site then died and with it the development ceased*) and the DSTwo which is supercard's love letter to the DS flash cart world.

*at one point they came up cheap on the site his employees made after that. At that point they represented really nice flash carts as far as features go if you only wanted one for a DS/DS lite (the DSi and 3ds family were busy being locked down against flash carts with every kernel update and things had not been cracked yet) as not many games had hit after that (we had not quite got https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/ sorted so there were a handful that came out after the last kernel) but all the features were there.

Reactions: Ryccardo

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I know you can play GBA using virtual console on a new N2DS XL, but I am specifically want to know if GBA roms can be played using a flashcart like those mentioned above?
starting with the dsi there is no GBA slot.
there is no way to use a gba flashcart with a DSI or 3DS console. you will then need to use homebrew emulators or virtual console
you can use a DS flashcart in a 3DS family console but for gba games why would you do that, the VC and emulators are way better

Last edited by migles,
Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk